Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,086 Times in 2,155 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Steelers won'y use Franchise-Tag on Wallace

It's not that the FO feel's they can't move on without him, it's just they're not going to cough up nine million a year for a receiver with a lot yet to prove. He isn't worth that kind of money, and i'm sure other team's understand this. I'd be shocked to see him go anywhere, although i'd like that extra first round pick, just not at his expense.

But, with that being said, i'd rather have Wallace than a First rounder, and that's likely what's going to happen. The fact that he's open to free-agency mean's nothing. Teams will laugh at what he "thinks" he's worth, and i'm sure his opinion of his worth differs from that of the teams in interest, including us. If Wallace is going, it'll be next year. That's MUCH more likely, in my opinion.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067
Default Re: Steelers won'y use Franchise-Tag on Wallace

I'd rather him walk than franchise him anyways.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
surcalifero
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13079
Default Re: Steelers won't use Franchise-Tag on Wallace

So if the Colts let go of Wayne and decide to pick up Wallace...we would get the number 1 overall pick?
surcalifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #14
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,472 Times in 3,548 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by surcalifero View Post
So if the Colts let go of Wayne and decide to pick up Wallace...we would get the number 1 overall pick?
yes, then we can do something like trade the #1 pick to cleveland for 2 of their 1st round picks and a 3rd or something like that lol.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by surcalifero View Post
Yes and that would never happen, but it would be awesome!

Trade back a few picks and get a top OL and whatever we wanted with our gander of picks...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
Black N' Yellow
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
yes, then we can do something like trade the #1 pick to cleveland for 2 of their 1st round picks and a 3rd or something like that lol.
Nope. The first overall this year is worth at least 6-7 picks. Remember when Cleveland gave up Julio Jones to the Falcons and they got a bunch of picks? Imagine how many picks Andrew Luck would be worth....
Black N' Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

He's worth the money. The nature of the beast (Free Agency) insist that he is. Somebody is going to pay him and he will be succesful wherever he plays. I hope we pony up the damn money.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #18
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Why would the Steelers let it be known they are not going to franchise him and not wait to the exact last possible moment? Why would the Steelers' Kevin Colbert say last week that Wallace is just scratching the surface of his potential? Are the Steelers hoping for a #1 pick? Is that what they really are after? Seems those two bits of information do nothing but get other teams interested in him.

If he stays as a restricted free agent then he may be knocked down a peg or two and accept a more reasonable offer from the team long term or he becomes an UFA next year and we lose him and get nothing but a low compensatory pick.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #19
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

As good as Wallace is , he is NOT in the elite WR class yet. He may be close but he has a ways to go before he gets to the level of Fitz, Andre Johnson or Megatron (to those that think Marshall is as good you really need to take some meds, I think you hit your head on a wall)
Wallace is definitely not worth the 9.4 million franchise tag number. With D.Jackson getting franchised and Welker on his way to being franchised this may may it harder for us to re sign him, it will over inflate what he thinks he is worth.
If Wallace is smart he will sign long term here and soon but we cannot and must not get into a silly bidding war for his services, the F.O has done pretty well drafting WR in later rounds and we will be ok if he goes.
TBH I can't really see another team giving up a 1st round pick and the big money to sign him. The Cheats are franchinsing Welker so I cant really see them ding it , even with 2 1st round picks. the Ratbirds will have to contend with Rice and are expected to franchise him, not to mention having to re sign Flucco to big money, so I really don't think it would be them. The niners are the only possibility and maybe the Giants.
My guess he will still be here. and for something like 6 mil per season.
Rick5895 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #20
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

if someone signs Wallace its probably going to be the Bengals or the Pats. some of you seem to think the Pats wont because there frachising Welker but that makes no difference. they have two 1st round picks and more then enough money to sign him. Brady is getting up there and New England knows there window is closing and Wallace can turn there team from great to elite.

Also, as for Marshall i agree he isnt a Andre Johnson, Megatron or Fitzgerald but he is right behind those guys. you give him a decent QB like he had in the Pro Bowl and he is a 1500 yard a year WR