Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #201
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580
Default Re: Has anyone noticed......

Regarding the public relations discussed earlier in the thread...

Here is a link that shows how far some on the Hezbollah side are willing to go to garner media support.

Warning: Link contains graphic pictures of children killed in bombing.
http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/200...ctors-cut.html

Though I am hesitant to take any blog as the final word on truth and the blogger in this case doesn't pretend to be unbiased, the evidence presented in the link seems to be particularly damning and gut wrenchingly disgusting.

I wonder how the Islamic world would react to these men who are doing acting takes with a dead girl if they saw the truth about how the pictures were staged.

What an awful, ironic cycle to be in: Hezbollah's biggest victories are found when innocent civilians (the people they are supposed to be defending) are killed by attacks that Israel inevitably serves up for them.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:58 AM   #202
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
Okay LITP...sit down before you read this..I agree with your statements 100%.

you also asked in a previous post about what I thought Israels next move would be...and now I seem am a little late in posting ..because in watching the news..its happening as we speak.

Israel will push deep enough to establish a buffer zone just large enough to nullify the range of Hezbollahs weaponry. At that point the bargaining power of conflict falls solidly into Israels direction. The thought is that the more Israel pushes...the less that the Lebanese Government will back the Insurgents, because with all the good that Hezbollah offers the locals...it wont equal the bad that has resulted from this war.
Hey - good job I was seated!

I understand the theory behind the tactic you mention - I do wonder about this buffer zone and how it is going to be policed in the future.

I have read from numerous sources also that various 'humanitarian corridors' that Israel promised the civilians of Lebanon have not materialised - in fact there has been a general warning that any moving vehicle will be considered a viable military target - you have to wonder how any aid or medical supplies can make it to the people that need it.

Its hard to predict how the Lebanese general population will react to the war waged upon them by Israel - perhaps they will associate collaboration with Hezbollah with great personal pain and loss - that may well be enough to make them think twice in future.

Of course, they could be so consumed by anger that they will be easy prey for the vultures of the Hezbollah recruitment policy.

Im quite surprised (pleasantly) that one of the more vocal Arab nations has not been drawn into issuing actual ultimatums toward Israel - there is still hope that, as bloody as this conflict has been, that the number of actively participating nations is kept to a minimum.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:05 AM   #203
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
Regarding the public relations discussed earlier in the thread...

Here is a link that shows how far some on the Hezbollah side are willing to go to garner media support.

Warning: Link contains graphic pictures of children killed in bombing.
http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/200...ctors-cut.html

Though I am hesitant to take any blog as the final word on truth and the blogger in this case doesn't pretend to be unbiased, the evidence presented in the link seems to be particularly damning and gut wrenchingly disgusting.

I wonder how the Islamic world would react to these men who are doing acting takes with a dead girl if they saw the truth about how the pictures were staged.

What an awful, ironic cycle to be in: Hezbollah's biggest victories are found when innocent civilians (the people they are supposed to be defending) are killed by attacks that Israel inevitably serves up for them.
Yes that appears to be the nature of the insurgent terrorist.

Their lifeblood is the perception of injustice done to them and the people who they supposedly represent.

They also rely on the David v Goliath factor to garner sympathy from potential recruits and people who may be sympathetic to their cause.

My point all along is that, although these pictures have been staged, the abundant raw materials for this type of production would have not been available had this conflict taken a different direction.

Hezbollah know that they will never win this war in terms of sheer logistics - they just have to remain unbeaten long enough, and cause enough damage to Israels reputation to try and achieve their goals through other means.

NM
Old 08-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #204
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Hey - good job I was seated!

I understand the theory behind the tactic you mention - I do wonder about this buffer zone and how it is going to be policed in the future.

I have read from numerous sources also that various 'humanitarian corridors' that Israel promised the civilians of Lebanon have not materialised - in fact there has been a general warning that any moving vehicle will be considered a viable military target - you have to wonder how any aid or medical supplies can make it to the people that need it.
Its hard to predict how the Lebanese general population will react to the war waged upon them by Israel - perhaps they will associate collaboration with Hezbollah with great personal pain and loss - that may well be enough to make them think twice in future.

Of course, they could be so consumed by anger that they will be easy prey for the vultures of the Hezbollah recruitment policy.

Im quite surprised (pleasantly) that one of the more vocal Arab nations has not been drawn into issuing actual ultimatums toward Israel - there is still hope that, as bloody as this conflict has been, that the number of actively participating nations is kept to a minimum.

NM
I am not surprised that these corridors have not materialized yet....With the Israeli army on the move ..it is next to imposible to implement the safeguards needed to ensure troop safety. As the front line moves forward...they will have to set up "defiles"..roadblocks..checkstations and holding areas to facilitate the movement of civilians. This will also ensure the safety of the populace by removing insurgents...and directly labeling those in these areas as noncombatants. But all this has to be done behind and hopefully far behind any conflict.
With Hezbollahs ability to blend into the local populace..this task is going to be difficult and time consuming
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #205
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Well, it looks like a cease fire is close at hand. Doesn't look like it turned out to be World War III just yet (in spite of all the pundits who sure seemed to be hoping it was).

So since Israel was operating idependnently within Lebanon, I am curious to know why they chose now to wind down. Did diplomatic pressure help guide their decision (unlikely IMO.) Or do they feel that they have achieved their strategic objectives for the invasion. I am assumign they did. I would also assume the objective was to eliminate Hezbollah in the region and rid the area of offensive missles. I will be curious to see how effective this operation was at weakening Hezbollah and how well the "peacekeeping" forces will be able to prevent any terrorist vaccuum in Lebanon from being filled. Time will tell.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:28 PM   #206
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Above is a hilarious link where The Colbert Report nails the media frenzy regarding hopes that this war was going to spread beyond Lebanon...
Old 08-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #207
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228

here's some fuel for the fire in this here debate....

http://www.crooksandliars.com/posts/...correspondent/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...790&pr=goog-sl
Old 08-13-2006, 01:30 AM   #208
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dawg
That comedy sketch was certainly edgy stuff, if you can keep an open mind then the message is clear.

Patronising spin about 'exciting new opportunities' is an affront to innocent civilians who are having their homes blown up around them.

Thanks for posting these J-dawg - keep em coming.

NM