Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Colon to RT

Not sure why people think Colon is bad. In my mind he is a Probowl calibre lineman.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,479 Posts

I love this time of the year. Complain about our current players on the roster and after watching the Combine, think that we can draft the guy that either benched 225lbs the most or ran the fastes 40-yd dash, to just plug in and replace experienced NFL players.

Gilbert, Pouncey, Colon are decent starting blocks of an O line. Foster, Legursky, Chris Scott, an experienced free agent and a couple draft picks will fill in the rest of the blanks on opening day.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,923 Times in 990 Posts
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Not sure why people think Colon is bad. In my mind he is a Probowl calibre lineman.

CURRENTLY???????
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

I never was a fan of colon. Watch all the false starts and holds this season.

Put him at Right G
Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
I never was a fan of colon. Watch all the false starts and holds this season.

Put him at Right G
Colon had only 4 holding calls in 2009 and graded out as the #1 RT according to PFF.

This season, Colon got to watch Heath Miller get caught for Holding in KC that negated a 21 yard gain by Mendenhall and in Cincy, where a Miller hold negated a Cotchery TD.

Dont see a lot of people crying about Heath Miller's holding.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Colon had only 4 holding calls in 2009 and graded out as the #1 RT according to PFF.

This season, Colon got to watch Heath Miller get caught for Holding in KC that negated a 21 yard gain by Mendenhall and in Cincy, where a Miller hold negated a Cotchery TD.

Dont see a lot of people crying about Heath Miller's holding.

Wow... really ??? your gonna try throwing Miller under the bus to help prove a point about what you think Colon is?? Most experts if not all of them would agree Miller is the BEST TE in Steelers history... It would have been a much better comparrison for you to use Chris Kemo...

Anyway dont get me wrong I think Colon ( IF ) he stays healthy can be a decent T and a great Guard... but I will say this we brought in a cast away from Dallas... Adams... a guy that many in the league agreed was done... an old man who has been playing for 14 years and i think its more then safe to say that Adams played over there at RT 3 Times better then anyone we had there for some time...

I think what this orginal post is saying is right on the money... I hope the steelers have a better plan then to go into the season with Gilbert playing on the left side for the first time and a guy like Willie who hasnt played in 2 years on the other side.... Lets pray they have a better idea then this
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_MINUTES View Post
Wow... really ??? your gonna try throwing Miller under the bus to help prove a point about what you think Colon is?? Most experts if not all of them would agree Miller is the BEST TE in Steelers history... It would have been a much better comparrison for you to use Chris Kemo...

Anyway dont get me wrong I think Colon ( IF ) he stays healthy can be a decent T and a great Guard... but I will say this we brought in a cast away from Dallas... Adams... a guy that many in the league agreed was done... an old man who has been playing for 14 years and i think its more then safe to say that Adams played over there at RT 3 Times better then anyone we had there for some time...

I think what this orginal post is saying is right on the money... I hope the steelers have a better plan then to go into the season with Gilbert playing on the left side for the first time and a guy like Willie who hasnt played in 2 years on the other side.... Lets pray they have a better idea then this
No, not throwing Miller under the bus, but using him to make a point.

Fans get on a guy for having 7 penalties totalling 55yds, in a season where he played over 900 snaps. But they give their favorite WR or TE a free pass for multiple holding calls or pass interference plays, illegal blocks. I bet Hines Ward had more penalty yardage in 2009 than Willie Colon.

Fans that think Colon(or any O lineman) holds "all the time" should have to put their hand in the dirt against a guy that is faster than they are, while moving backwards and see what they can do.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,928 Times in 779 Posts

Quote:
Fans that think Colon(or any O lineman) holds "all the time" should have to put their hand in the dirt against a guy that is faster than they are, while moving backwards and see what they can do.
I'm on record for saying that I'm comfortable with having Colon back. When he was healthy, he was said to be our strongest and by far our meanest lineman in run-driving techniques and abilities to completely destroy guys in drive-blocking. With every good block, there's 4 or 5 bad penalties the guy takes, whether it be a false start penalty or a holding call in crunch time. In those 900 snaps, those 4 or 5 are crucial.

That said, I can't stand the cop-out argument of "You put your hand in the dirt and see what you can do!" thing. That's just absurd. Just because these guys are in the spotlight and the critique's that come with that could be harsh, doesn't mean I need to suite up and go prove I can pass-pro against Dwight Freeney for my argument to be valid. Hell, I will admit right now I'd get my a**hole turned inside out just by thinking of putting a finger on Freeney and I played football my whole life. Granted, I don't have the means to train like a wilder-beast by pro's and happen to be 6'6, 320 pounds with quick feet like a squirrel either.

Now that we determined that we aren't professional NFL players and more than likely can't drive block Terrell Suggs into the second and third levels, people that aren't qualified always bag on me about my job and if I don't meet the criteria, I'm out of there.

If only I could say: "How about you watch over these network administrated servers and go into the fibre-optic setting and get this hospital back up and running starting with the SQL privileges and see what you could do." This world would be a much funner place.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I'm on record for saying that I'm comfortable with having Colon back. When he was healthy, he was said to be our strongest and by far our meanest lineman in run-driving techniques and abilities to completely destroy guys in drive-blocking. With every good block, there's 4 or 5 bad penalties the guy takes, whether it be a false start penalty or a holding call in crunch time. In those 900 snaps, those 4 or 5 are crucial.

That said, I can't stand the cop-out argument of "You put your hand in the dirt and see what you can do!" thing. That's just absurd. Just because these guys are in the spotlight and the critique's that come with that could be harsh, doesn't mean I need to suite up and go prove I can pass-pro against Dwight Freeney for my argument to be valid. Hell, I will admit right now I'd get my a**hole turned inside out just by thinking of putting a finger on Freeney and I played football my whole life. Granted, I don't have the means to train like a wilder-beast by pro's and happen to be 6'6, 320 pounds with quick feet like a squirrel either.

Now that we determined that we aren't professional NFL players and more than likely can't drive block Terrell Suggs into the second and third levels, people that aren't qualified always bag on me about my job and if I don't meet the criteria, I'm out of there.

If only I could say: "How about you watch over these network administrated servers and go into the fibre-optic setting and get this hospital back up and running starting with the SQL privileges and see what you could do." This world would be a much funner place.
Stainless..... you are helping to make my point. Miller gets called for holding and it negates a Cotchery TD at Cinci. But nobody here thinks that Heath gets caught for holding.

Colon takes a holding call, which kept Ben from getting sacked and hit while throwing....but it negates a TD, so fans still harp on that 4 years later.

NFL players are going to make mistakes and get beat by the guy across from them. Its going to happen. the problem is that if it happens to an O lineman, he doesnt get a chance to make a reception or run the ball to redeem himself like RB's or TE/WR's.

You dont have to play NFL to get a feel for what they do. For those that never played organized football... Find a local beer league, flag football or whatever has some contact on the line. You will see that you can play 95% perfect game, but the 5% you get beat you stand out like a sore thumb.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Oh and to the point of this thread. Colon is perfectly fine at RT for the Steelers, but if they draft Cordy Glenn, then I think Glenn is better suited to play RT and Colon should move inside.......but that hasnt happened the past 5 seasons, so why dream now.