Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #31
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464
Default Re: Colon to RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Now this is over-reaction. Jon Scott actually played well at RT last season....which stands to reason because that is what he is. A RT that the Steelers had to play at LT at the start of the season.

Colon had a triceps tear last year. not really career threatening. The issue is that the Steelers should have addressed the O line at least 5 years ago (I mean other than Tony Hills) and at the current moment its possible that Gilbert, Pouncey, Colon, Scott, Foster could be the best 5 they can put on the field.

I expect rookies to be drafted, but not necessarily start on opening day. I can see O line in round 2 and round 4 selected.

Are you cousins with Colon or Scott ?? lol come on man even at RT Scott is as bad as it gets... Esses is 2 times better as a back up then Scott and thats not saying much. Bottom line there is not an expert alive that would say its a good idea to go into the season with Colon coming off two season en ding injuries and Scott backing him up.. Remember man we are not the Bills just trying to put a decent team on the field.. We are the Steelers. A superbowl contender.. we dont go into the season with an average plan.. we have to go into the season with a Superbowl Plan.

How could anyone on earth think going into the season with a guy coming off two year ending injuries and a guy that got killed all year backing him up is a good idea ????
by the way I remember arron Smith tore his tricept and then tore it again the next year.

one last thing... go turn on the tape of last year... I dont remember the game.. may have been Denver but it was at the end of the year.. Gilberts shoulder was tweaked and he came out for a quarter or so... scott went in and he got killed just about every play.. BEN got massive pressure 3 or 4 pass plays in a row from Scotts side... then Gilbert came back in and played hurt... Im cant remember the game but others on here will probably remember it..
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #32
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,581 Times in 2,376 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i'm surprised jonathan scott hasn't been cut yet. he's the biggest waste of space ive ever seen
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #33
Heinz Hitman
Water Boy

Member Number: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_MINUTES View Post
Are you cousins with Colon or Scott ?? lol come on man even at RT Scott is as bad as it gets... Esses is 2 times better as a back up then Scott and thats not saying much. Bottom line there is not an expert alive that would say its a good idea to go into the season with Colon coming off two season en ding injuries and Scott backing him up.. Remember man we are not the Bills just trying to put a decent team on the field.. We are the Steelers. A superbowl contender.. we dont go into the season with an average plan.. we have to go into the season with a Superbowl Plan.

How could anyone on earth think going into the season with a guy coming off two year ending injuries and a guy that got killed all year backing him up is a good idea ????
by the way I remember arron Smith tore his tricept and then tore it again the next year.

one last thing... go turn on the tape of last year... I dont remember the game.. may have been Denver but it was at the end of the year.. Gilberts shoulder was tweaked and he came out for a quarter or so... scott went in and he got killed just about every play.. BEN got massive pressure 3 or 4 pass plays in a row from Scotts side... then Gilbert came back in and played hurt... Im cant remember the game but others on here will probably remember it..
Amen, brother 60! Jonathan Scott is a worthless piece of crap. I wouldn't have him as the starting towel boy. Only thing I can think is that he is blackmailing Kuegler with some drunken gay sex romp the two of them had in Buffalo. Going into this season with a very fragile Colon starting and a worthless J Scott backing him up makes me worry. Any word on what The Hotel is up to?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #34
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

Scott equals one of these

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #35
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Are you cousins with Colon or Scott ?? lol come on man even at RT Scott is as bad as it gets... Esses is 2 times better as a back up then Scott and thats not saying much. Bottom line there is not an expert alive that would say its a good idea to go into the season with Colon coming off two season en ding injuries and Scott backing him up.. ..
Not related at all. But, I am the guy that looked at Colon from a technique standpoint 5 years ago and pointed out that he is actually a very solid performing lineman. While all the fans that like to complain, but cant explain why they are complaining....did the hating. Then all the haters got on the bandwagon 3 years ago when Colon played stellar.......and now you are back to hating.

Jon Scott is similar in that he played well in the absence of Starks 2 seasons ago and is a good utility lineman, but not a starter at LT. If you actually break down game film of him playing RT while Gilbert was injured, instead of just remembering that he got abused by Freeney.....you will see that he is a better than average RT.

When you find a published opinion of these "experts" you reference, please let me know. The experts that are professional football people like Sean Kugler, Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert seemed to think Colon starting at RT with Jon Scott backing him up was good enough last season.

Continue the hate, but I expect to see Colon at RT again this season unless they try to push him inside at guard. Experts like Kevin Colbert seem to be implying that.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #36
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Not related at all. But, I am the guy that looked at Colon from a technique standpoint 5 years ago and pointed out that he is actually a very solid performing lineman. While all the fans that like to complain, but cant explain why they are complaining....did the hating. Then all the haters got on the bandwagon 3 years ago when Colon played stellar.......and now you are back to hating.

Jon Scott is similar in that he played well in the absence of Starks 2 seasons ago and is a good utility lineman, but not a starter at LT. If you actually break down game film of him playing RT while Gilbert was injured, instead of just remembering that he got abused by Freeney.....you will see that he is a better than average RT.

When you find a published opinion of these "experts" you reference, please let me know. The experts that are professional football people like Sean Kugler, Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert seemed to think Colon starting at RT with Jon Scott backing him up was good enough last season.

Continue the hate, but I expect to see Colon at RT again this season unless they try to push him inside at guard. Experts like Kevin Colbert seem to be implying that.

lol... experts like Mike Tomlin and kugler seem to think its a good idea... lol..yeah how did it work out for them last year? Lets hope Colbert ( expert ) does what he is implying... and Im not a hater.. I think Colon is a very decent to good Oline player and could be a very solid guard... i would love more then anything in the world for colon to be moved to guard.. two reasons... one he could be great there.. and two if he goes down again with injury then we have solid back ups...

Again I will say this and Why everyone on this thread is getting it but you I dont know... but anyway for the record There is not a football coach in histroy.. or anyone that knows anything at all about football that would think for one min that going into the season with a Guy coming off Two season ending injuries in a row... a guy that was average or maybe a little above but for sure not a probowl player... a guy that hasnt played a full season in 3 years... no one I mean no one but you seems to think its a good idea to go into the season with that guy as our starter while a guy like Scott backs him up.
and by the way Im not talking about the colts game... Im talking about when Gilbert went out the game in the first half I think against Denver and Scott came in at RT and got killed ... so bad to the point that they brought back in an injured Gilbert...

anyway everyone in the world besides you and Colon and Scott understand going into the season with Colon as a starter and Scott as back up is not a good idea... lets pray we draft a OT or bring one in and move Colon to guard to finally fix this damn line
Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #37
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Man, I am impressed by bold letters. They really add something to a point with no substance and only opinion.

Look into what the results of surgical repair of achilles tendons are like. Dr. Myerson at Baltimore Mercy Hospital has a good explanation of the success rates. Also, you can look up torn triceps repairs as well. Not much of an issue with Colon playing RT and it appears the Steelers and their physicians are fine with it.

Jon Scott is a free agent, so no guarantee that he is signed by the Steelers, but I really would not be surprised if he was signed as a reserve. He is a good veteran backup and run blocks with better pad level than Essex. I really hope Trai Essex is let walk.

I would not be surprised to see the Steelers take a flyer on a developmental LT prospect like Nate Potter in the 4th round or later in the draft. They then would need a veteran OT like Scott or another free agent, but the Steelers dont normally go for the premier FA prospects.

I honestly would not be suprised to see an O line of Gilbert, Chris Scott, Pouncey, Foster, Colon to start with reserves like Legursky, Jon Scott, Kelechi Osemele and Nate Potter come September. Vernon Carey is out there, but I cant see the Steelers paying for him.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #38
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Man, I am impressed by bold letters. They really add something to a point with no substance and only opinion.

Look into what the results of surgical repair of achilles tendons are like. Dr. Myerson at Baltimore Mercy Hospital has a good explanation of the success rates. Also, you can look up torn triceps repairs as well. Not much of an issue with Colon playing RT and it appears the Steelers and their physicians are fine with it.

Jon Scott is a free agent, so no guarantee that he is signed by the Steelers, but I really would not be surprised if he was signed as a reserve. He is a good veteran backup and run blocks with better pad level than Essex. I really hope Trai Essex is let walk.

I would not be surprised to see the Steelers take a flyer on a developmental LT prospect like Nate Potter in the 4th round or later in the draft. They then would need a veteran OT like Scott or another free agent, but the Steelers dont normally go for the premier FA prospects.

I honestly would not be suprised to see an O line of Gilbert, Chris Scott, Pouncey, Foster, Colon to start with reserves like Legursky, Jon Scott, Kelechi Osemele and Nate Potter come September. Vernon Carey is out there, but I cant see the Steelers paying for him.

I used the bold letters cause it was the biggest point i wanted to stress in the IMO category.. I guess ME and the rest of the steeler fan base will have to agree to disagree with you... as far as your suggestion of what the line may look like this year....

Number one I pray to GOD your wrong or we will lose our ass and number 2 Chris Scott was already beat out by Foster and Legursky and then cut by the Steelers so now you really have me wondering for sure about why Im debating x's and o's with you... Im not being a smart ass man.. I really just cant figure out what in the world your watching...

anyway I really hope we draft OL in first round... Glenn sounds good to me

Gilbert Colon Pouncey Foster Glenn... if not then we need to bring in a OT that can play now but I agree with you that we usually dont do that... I will say this about your post..if the steelers dont take anyone in the first 3 rounds that can step in and play this year at gurad or T then I will be shocked and die that weekend.

oh and how bout my use of the red color... wow how do I do it...my IQ must be off the chart WOW
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #39
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
I used the bold letters cause it was the biggest point i wanted to stress in the IMO category.. I guess ME and the rest of the steeler fan base will have to agree to disagree with you... as far as your suggestion of what the line may look like this year....

Number one I pray to GOD your wrong or we will lose our ass and number 2 Chris Scott was already beat out by Foster and Legursky and then cut by the Steelers so now you really have me wondering for sure about why Im debating x's and o's with you... Im not being a smart ass man.. I really just cant figure out what in the world your watching...

anyway I really hope we draft OL in first round... Glenn sounds good to me

Gilbert Colon Pouncey Foster Glenn... if not then we need to bring in a OT that can play now but I agree with you that we usually dont do that... I will say this about your post..if the steelers dont take anyone in the first 3 rounds that can step in and play this year at gurad or T then I will be shocked and die that weekend.

oh and how bout my use of the red color... wow how do I do it...my IQ must be off the chart WOW
I know that you say you are not being a "smart ass" and sorry if I read it that way. Your posts look to have the tone of some internet tough guy that likes to talk to people the way you bullied your younger siblings. I especially like how you speak for "the rest of the Steeler Fan Base".

Chris Scott was signed back at the end of the year and contrary to what many casual fans think....most O linemen don't start in the NFL their rookie year. Chris Scott was a decent LT at Tennessee, but doesnt have the elite feet for that in the NFL. I think he has solid run block skills to be a starting G or RT in the NFL. I dont blame him for not being able to beat out guys with 2years more on the roster than him.

I have coached youth and highschool kids playing O line for over a decade. I still play O line in a rec league and have attended numerous coaching clinics where I try to glean more info on technique. I am probably one of the few that rewatches games on DVR to see the line execution, not the RB and WR's. Lets just say O line play is something I appreciate. So no, you and the majority of Steeler fans are not watching the same thing as I am.

While the masses watch the combine for Cordy Glenn's 40 time and bench press reps, I watch his movement drills. I think he is a good football player, but question if he is a G or RT in the NFL. Some of his game tape shows that he doesnt bend his knees in run blocking, but bends at the waist and gets over his toes.....watch the S. Carolina game from 2010 where he played guard and you will see he gets put on the ground a lot.

So, while you may speak for all of the Steeler fan base and think Cordy Glenn could solve our OG problems from Day 1, I would say that he might be a better RT where he can play upright and need some coaching to improve his pad level and play interior line.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #40
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,503 Times in 787 Posts
My Mood: Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i'm surprised jonathan scott hasn't been cut yet. he's the biggest waste of space ive ever seen

And don't forget his "waste of a roster space" twin David (No-Hands, Stone Hands would be an improvement) Johnson.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote