Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #41
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464
Default Re: Colon to RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I know that you say you are not being a "smart ass" and sorry if I read it that way. Your posts look to have the tone of some internet tough guy that likes to talk to people the way you bullied your younger siblings. I especially like how you speak for "the rest of the Steeler Fan Base".

Chris Scott was signed back at the end of the year and contrary to what many casual fans think....most O linemen don't start in the NFL their rookie year. Chris Scott was a decent LT at Tennessee, but doesnt have the elite feet for that in the NFL. I think he has solid run block skills to be a starting G or RT in the NFL. I dont blame him for not being able to beat out guys with 2years more on the roster than him.

I have coached youth and highschool kids playing O line for over a decade. I still play O line in a rec league and have attended numerous coaching clinics where I try to glean more info on technique. I am probably one of the few that rewatches games on DVR to see the line execution, not the RB and WR's. Lets just say O line play is something I appreciate. So no, you and the majority of Steeler fans are not watching the same thing as I am.

While the masses watch the combine for Cordy Glenn's 40 time and bench press reps, I watch his movement drills. I think he is a good football player, but question if he is a G or RT in the NFL. Some of his game tape shows that he doesnt bend his knees in run blocking, but bends at the waist and gets over his toes.....watch the S. Carolina game from 2010 where he played guard and you will see he gets put on the ground a lot.

So, while you may speak for all of the Steeler fan base and think Cordy Glenn could solve our OG problems from Day 1, I would say that he might be a better RT where he can play upright and need some coaching to improve his pad level and play interior line.

I dont have younger brothers or sisters.. I do have 3 little ones myself as well as I own My own ( Little Small Business ) not saying Im the richest guy in the world.. just agreeing with you on the fact that I prob do come across as telling it like I see it... but anyway Im just like you in at least one way... I always watch the tape back on the DVR and watch pretty much all O line and D line and LB... Hell I usually break BEN down as well... Not because I think Im great at it but just because I love doing it... My kids go to bed about 930 to 10 and I usually stay up til bout midnight watching Steeler shit... So your not alone on looking at tech.. and footwork.. I think more guys then you think enjoy looking at that stuff. now saying all that I believe you can read to much into some of that stuff.. all that matters is results on the field...

and I will use bold again because you must not have read my post... I didnt say Glenn would slove our Guard problems... I said he would slove our O line problems... then I put what I would love to see.... GILBERT COLON POUNCEY FOSTER GLENN so as you can see colon solves our Guard problems... anyway that would be a very solid line...
I would also love to see GILBERT COLON POUNCEY GLENN and GAITHER now that would be a probowl line IMO

one last point Glenn is rated much better then GILBERT was coming out and to me looks better on tape.. so if Gilbert can step right in and play I would assume Glenn should be able to as well

oh yeah I still stick by my statement... If Chris Scott was any good at all then guys like Doug L.. Essex. and Even Tony Hills wouldnt have beat him out. dont get me wrong Im not saying he cant become decent like Essex has over the years... but we need to stop trying to be decent up front and fix this line for good.. Its been average to below for to many years now...
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #42
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

You have to understand that Gilbert was thought to have the feet of a guy that could play LT, but had not shown the ability as a "finisher" in the run game. It was plain to see in the first preseason game he played, that he had good feet, lateral movement skills etc, to play LT.

Glenn is not rated as a LT prospect, but rather as a RT or OG who has shown that he likes to be nasty. They are 2 completely different guys as college seniors. I like Glenn, but have no illusion that he will play LT and even think he needs some coaching up to play OG.

Look at this attached video and watch the 2nd play as Glenn shows he is a waist bender and lunges so far forward that he ends up falling on the ground.

Playing interior line is all about keeping a solid base and keeping feet under you. Glenn doesnt show it.

I know he may have improved and rumors are that Dallas is looking hard at him anyways. I'd prefer to trade back 5 spots, pick Zeitler and maybe get an extra 3rd or 4th round pick. I will not be surprised to see Chris Scott progress this year and beat out Legursky. Legursky isnt a mauler, but maybe a better zone block guy. He is a tougher version of Darnell Stapleton IMO.

Gilbert, Scott, Pouncey, Foster, Colon is what I am thinking right now. But by week 6 we could see Zeitler, Glenn, Osemele or somebody creep into there and bounce out Scott or Foster. I think Brandon Brooks if drafted gets a red shirt for a season. I like the idea of Gaither, but not sure he will be cheap enough to be grabbed by the Steelers.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #43
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I would prefer we trade UP those five or six spots to grab DeCastro. Seeing as how everyone we thought was in our grasp is moving up, someone has to be moving down towards us. A trade with someone in that Dallas-Philly area might get us the top guard in the draft and we can stop all the speculating as to where to play the guy we draft. LG. Done. For ten years.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #44
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I would prefer we trade UP those five or six spots to grab DeCastro. Seeing as how everyone we thought was in our grasp is moving up, someone has to be moving down towards us. A trade with someone in that Dallas-Philly area might get us the top guard in the draft and we can stop all the speculating as to where to play the guy we draft. LG. Done. For ten years.
Ric, considering we need talent at ILB, OG, OT, S, NT.......I dont like trading away picks when there is a deep year at OG.

If anything, I would trade down 5 spots, probably still get Hightower and then be able to get an extra 3rd or 4th round pick. With 5 picks in the first 4 rounds we could do something like.

1Hightower
2. Osemele
3. Chapman-NT
4. Brandon Brooks-OG
4 b George Iloka-S
Old 03-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #45
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I get what you're saying, and lots of folks are saying it. But here's the deal: we don't have any guards. Our starting guards wouldn't make it as back-ups on many NFL teams. Meanwhile, we have Timmons and at least Sylvester at ILB; we have two Pro Bowlers at safety; we have Snack and maybe Hood (as well as the surprising McLendon) at NT; we have a very good Colon (when he's healthy) and a very promising Gilbert at OT.

Meanwhile, we got ZERO at guard. I don't think anyone would mind the team that most needs a guard grabbing the top guard in the draft. And contrary to what you're saying, I've read that after DeCastro and Glenn, the rest of the draft is a crap shoot.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #46
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I get what you're saying, and lots of folks are saying it. But here's the deal: we don't have any guards. Our starting guards wouldn't make it as back-ups on many NFL teams. Meanwhile, we have Timmons and at least Sylvester at ILB; we have two Pro Bowlers at safety; we have Snack and maybe Hood (as well as the surprising McLendon) at NT; we have a very good Colon (when he's healthy) and a very promising Gilbert at OT.

Meanwhile, we got ZERO at guard. I don't think anyone would mind the team that most needs a guard grabbing the top guard in the draft. And contrary to what you're saying, I've read that after DeCastro and Glenn, the rest of the draft is a crap shoot.
You are saying that we have Sylvester......but our Guards wouldnt make it as backups on an NFL team?? Sylvester is sad at ILB.

Foster is average IMO. More like Keydrick Vincent was. As posted, I believe that Chris Scott is also of his talent level. Also, contrary to what you have read, many think this is a deep OG class with Zeitler, Silatolu, Osemele, Philip Blake, Brandon Brooks, Mitchell Schwartz....all being solid players.

-A number of scouts told me that they feel Konz’ teammate, Kevin Zeitler, is the best run blocker in this draft.

- Mitchell Schwartz knocked it out of the park during his combine interviews, which is no surprise. We’ve previously reported the Cal coaches telling scouts Schwartz was the most intelligent lineman they’ve had in the program. We’re hearing Schwartz is a lock to be a second day pick and could squeeze into the draft’s top 60 picks.

- I understand there are a number of teams that still have a third round grade on Rishaw Johnson. They love the underlying athleticism he showed at the combine and think his upside is enormous.

- Amini Silatolu of Midwestern State is another small school offensive lineman shooting up draft boards. He’s receiving second day grades and could end up as a top 75 pick.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/
Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #47
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan View Post
This is an old song and I know most of us are sick of hearing about it.

Max Starks most likely won't be back after tearing his ACL late, and Ed Bouchette tweeted that Marcus Gilbert will be moved to LT so that WILLIE COLON can return to RT...damn it.

Gilbert was decent as the season went along but is far from an elite lineman...yet. Now, we will be letting the horrible Colon take back over on the right side.

There are a lot of quality G and T in the draft and I can only hope that the first and second round hold some of those lineman for us. We need another Maurkice Pouncey on that line. Legursky is a china doll, Foster isn't a full time starter and Scott...well, we all see how he does facing good pass rushers.

I don't like to question the man in the big seat because of how consistent they have been...but what the hell?
The problem with Willie Colon is that, he isn't an elite Tackle, He's been out for the last two seasons (Basically) and should just be a back up. But, the depth at O-Line isn't steep, What the Steelers need to do is draft 3 Offensive linemen in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th rounds. And see what happens from there. I don't see Colon with the Steelers after the 2012 season.
Justp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #48
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Urbick
Old 03-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #49
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Hey Willlie Colon something you should no real soon.

Todd Haley cut Jared Gaither in KC the day after committing a false start penalty. Considering Colon is good for one a game this could get interesting.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #50
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,444 Times in 2,311 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Hey Willlie Colon something you should no real soon.

Todd Haley cut Jared Gaither in KC the day after committing a false start penalty. Considering Colon is good for one a game this could get interesting.
i like how haley doesn't put up with stupid mistakes. it would have been entertaining to see how he handles kemo if he didnt get cut lol
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote