Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 03-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Free agent running backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
I was curious that the Steelers met with a potential 4th or 5th round pick

Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati
Height: 5-10. Weight: 197.
40 Time: 4.41. 10-Yd Split: 1.50

If the team does take a back it probably will be a guy with speed like this to utilize on 3rd down and in the open field on short passes. True they have a stable of RBs but all are big backs with Batch or Spann being the exception and they run in the 4.5's.

Haley had Dexter McCluster in KC and utilized him very well catching 46 balls last year. Maybe the Steelers miss a little of that Willie Parker ability to score from anywhere on the field.

If you lose Mike Wallace another weapon out of the backfield with 4.4 speed isn't a bad option.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...21/isaiah-pead
I think Pead is gone in round 3 .....
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Without Mendy it is sure not a strength.....Redman with 110 carries....Moore 22 for 157 yds....Dwyer 16 - 123 yds...Clay 10 -141 Batch 0 - 0

Moore older gets hurt...Dwyer gets hurt unproven....Clay unproven.....Batch Gets hurt unproven.

Can Redman handle 200 plus carries?

Without Mendy you would be hard pressed to give this group as a hole a passing grade. C maybe?
Mendy gets hurt on a routine play. It happens, so that what if game applies to any RB you have out there. The answer lies not in the RB's we have but the QB we have, and Ben can take over a game if he has to. Just because we don't have veteran depth at RB doesn't means we get a lower grade. Based on what Redman has showed and how he runs (not a lot of dancing and cutting) I think he can handle the load. I think they run the ball better this year than last year with mendy.
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finesward View Post
Mendy gets hurt on a routine play. It happens, so that what if game applies to any RB you have out there. The answer lies not in the RB's we have but the QB we have, and Ben can take over a game if he has to. Just because we don't have veteran depth at RB doesn't means we get a lower grade. Based on what Redman has showed and how he runs (not a lot of dancing and cutting) I think he can handle the load. I think they run the ball better this year than last year with mendy.
Probably the line more than anything, but yes a stud QB helps.

Just looking at that group without Mendy ( He might not be as good as we thought, but is proven) it is just not very good overall. The weakest in recent memory from top to bottom.

But hey, Gotta give guys a chance. Lets hope they thrive.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
GameTime55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
I was curious that the Steelers met with a potential 4th or 5th round pick

Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati
Height: 5-10. Weight: 197.
40 Time: 4.41. 10-Yd Split: 1.50

If the team does take a back it probably will be a guy with speed like this to utilize on 3rd down and in the open field on short passes. True they have a stable of RBs but all are big backs with Batch or Spann being the exception and they run in the 4.5's.

Haley had Dexter McCluster in KC and utilized him very well catching 46 balls last year. Maybe the Steelers miss a little of that Willie Parker ability to score from anywhere on the field.

If you lose Mike Wallace another weapon out of the backfield with 4.4 speed isn't a bad option.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...21/isaiah-pead
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...spects/page/10

so maybe not a speedster but I like the kid and the round (4th round)

Last edited by GameTime55; 03-04-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: link
GameTime55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #15
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,773 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Without Mendy it is sure not a strength.....Redman with 110 carries....Moore 22 for 157 yds....Dwyer 16 - 123 yds...Clay 10 -141 Batch 0 - 0

Moore older gets hurt...Dwyer gets hurt unproven....Clay unproven.....Batch Gets hurt unproven.

Can Redman handle 200 plus carries?

Without Mendy you would be hard pressed to give this group as a hole a passing grade. C maybe?
I wouldn't say that. Baron Batch was number one coming out of camp before his injury, and both Dwyer and Clay have managed to break off some big runs. At a proven talent standpoint i'd put our RB corps at a C w/o Mendy. At a promise standpoint it'd be at the top of the NFL. Redman had 100+ yard game in the playoffs this year in a backup role. That's clutch for a young player like himself.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #16
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

while I love me some good RBs, like Tolbert, Im still lMAO at how he abused the Colts in 2010

we have much more pressing needs

Pus Im really interested/hopeful at what Batch can bring

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #17
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

So...we do the "unthinkable" and cut 2 of the most important players in our recent history in Farrior and Ward, re-negotiate contracts with our best players, cut some role players and get ourselves in a decent cap situation and people in here want us to spend all that money we just saved in free agency bringing in other tea,s players, like Tolbert. Here is an interesting thought....why not re-sign our own like Wallace (if he can be had) Cotchery and locking up Sanders and Brown and Heath (as he is a UFA after the 2012 season)
WE ARE NOT THE PHILA. EAGLES. Geting guys like Farrior and Clark through FA is rare, re sign our own and have good drafts.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #18
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
So...we do the "unthinkable" and cut 2 of the most important players in our recent history in Farrior and Ward, re-negotiate contracts with our best players, cut some role players and get ourselves in a decent cap situation and people in here want us to spend all that money we just saved in free agency bringing in other tea,s players, like Tolbert. Here is an interesting thought....why not re-sign our own like Wallace (if he can be had) Cotchery and locking up Sanders and Brown and Heath (as he is a UFA after the 2012 season)
WE ARE NOT THE PHILA. EAGLES. Geting guys like Farrior and Clark through FA is rare, re sign our own and have good drafts.
In theory what you say is correct, but you have to look at each situation case by case.....Keeping our own players is great, but when they are paid premium and production is not there, well, have to make a change. It's a solid cap league.

In years past we had drafted solid replacements that were ready to go when the time came...We have none at ILB or NT.

We have done well at reciever, but it's a double edged sword. you can't have all your money invested in a QB, WR'S and OLB's. need money for the rest of the team.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #19
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I wouldn't say that. Baron Batch was number one coming out of camp before his injury, and both Dwyer and Clay have managed to break off some big runs. At a proven talent standpoint i'd put our RB corps at a C w/o Mendy. At a promise standpoint it'd be at the top of the NFL. Redman had 100+ yard game in the playoffs this year in a backup role. That's clutch for a young player like himself.
Redman will be solid but he is far from the top of the NFL as and individual back or the group as a whole.

That being said, i don't believe we need a premium back to be successful.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #20
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
Redman, Clay, and Dwyer.
Thank You....let's stick to what we NEED..OL, DL, LB
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote