Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Bengals owner Brown defends personnel decisions

CINCINNATI -- Bengals owner Mike Brown defended the team's decision to take another player with a troubled background in the NFL's supplemental draft, a move that has raised questions about the team's standards.

The Bengals chose linebacker Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental draft Thursday. Brooks played at Virginia for three seasons, but was later kicked off the team. The university didn't give specifics about the decision.

Second-year receiver Chris Henry and 2006 draft picks Frostee Rucker and A.J. Nicholson have been charged with criminal offenses in recent months. When they drafted them, the Bengals were aware that all three got into trouble during their college careers.

In an unusual move, Brown issued a statement Friday reassuring fans that the team has standards for its players.

"We want our fans to know that we share their concerns regarding the recent off-field conduct of several Bengals players," Brown said. "We expect our players to be good citizens, as most are, and we hold them accountable for their conduct under team and league rules."

Brown defended the decision to take Brooks, noting that there are no pending allegations against him.

"The club's judgment is that any past transgressions were insufficient to deny him an opportunity to prove himself as a responsible NFL player," Brown said.

The Bengals drafted Henry in the third round last year despite his history of run-ins with coaches at West Virginia, where he was ejected, benched and suspended. Henry has been arrested four times since joining the Bengals.

Last month, Henry pleaded not guilty to charges that he provided alcohol to three underage females. He also faces a drunken driving charge in suburban Cincinnati, and is scheduled for trial Aug. 21 in Florida on a charge of carrying a concealed weapon.

Nicholson, a fifth-round pick in April, was charged last month with burglarizing the apartment of a former Florida State teammate. He also faces grand theft and vandalism charges in Florida.

Also last month, Rucker was charged with two counts of spousal battery and vandalism in Los Angeles. The third-round pick has denied the allegations.

Coach Marvin Lewis said before the April draft that he would "red flag" any players who had trouble with their coaches or teammates in college. He has defended the team's subsequent draft picks.

DENIAL....it aint just a river in Egypt!!!!!!!

Old 07-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784
Default Re: Bengals owner Brown defends personnel decisions

From what I've heard and read in the editorials, even the folks here in Cincy are questioning all of this. Cincy is overall a fairly conservative town and most want to feel good about their players off the field. However, I also get the impression that for many people, they ultimately want a winning team....now.... even if that means that they accept people with "character" issues.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl
From what I've heard and read in the editorials, even the folks here in Cincy are questioning all of this. Cincy is overall a fairly conservative town and most want to feel good about their players off the field. However, I also get the impression that for many people, they ultimately want a winning team....now.... even if that means that they accept people with "character" issues.

i understand...but you CAN have both.....*STEELERS*....(possibly sans Santonio)
Old 07-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
i understand...but you CAN have both.....*STEELERS*....(possibly sans Santonio)
TOTALLY agree!!! They just haven't had a whole lot of success over the years....with either one! Being a lifetime Steelergirl myself, I cannot relate to their dilemma only empathize..........................NAAAAAAAAHHHHHH HHHH!!!
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

"We want our fans to know that we share their concerns regarding the recent off-field conduct of several Bengals players," Brown said. "We expect our players to be good citizens, as most are, and we hold them accountable for their conduct under team and league rules."

The guy is talking complete nonsense and obviously thinks football fans have below average intelligence.

It is obvious to just about everyone, including Bengal fans, that the recent draft history is one of talented players with character issues.

If he had been honest and stated that he thinks he is getting value for these picks (they are getting them at a relatively good value in the draft) and that he expects the Bengals organisation to turn them around I would have had some respect for him, as it is just saying it does not make it so.

I think it is a poor strategy for reasons I highlighted in another post - with this crop of troubled players they wont taste success now or in the future.

NM

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 07-15-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Win at all costs, even if they field a team full of troublemakers and criminals...seems to be the Bengals' official credo now.

Bengal fans CANNOT be happy with this. Yes, they have hungered for a winner for a long time, but do they seriously want a team with this kind of image? They are turning into the laughingstock of the league again, but this time for very different reasons, and Mike Brown apparently doesn't care. Paul Brown must be spinning in his grave.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
slashsteel

Member Number:

They are basically taking over for the ratbird felonites. I know they wanted to compete within our divison but this is ridiculous!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past

The guy is talking complete nonsense and obviously thinks football fans have below average intelligence.

It is obvious to just about everyone, including Bengal fans, that the recent draft history is one of talented players with character issues.

If he had been honest and stated that he thinks he is getting value for these picks (they are getting them at a relatively good value in the draft) and that he expects the Bengals organisation to turn them around I would have had some respect for him, as it is just saying it does not make it so.

I think it is a poor strategy for reasons I highlighted in another post - with this crop of troubled players they wont taste success now or in the future.

NM
not football fans...bengal fans!!!

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:06 AM   #9
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past

NM
Agreed. Props to you. But I don't think anyone mentioned this, which is the highlight of my sporting life after Feb. 5, 2006 (and anything related to Francisco Liriano)

I was out on business and stopped into a sports bar for a sandwich before going back to the office on Thursday. I see the "breaking news" logo on ESPNEWS telling me about the Cincinnati Reds inexplicably trading a .270, 20 HR and 60 RBI guy for basically nothing, but the true breaking news wasn't even out of the municipal limits of that puzzling town.

On the ticker, I read "Cincinnati Bengals draft Ahmad Brooks with a third round pick in the supplemental draft," and IMMEDIATELY after that, I read "Cincinnati LB Odell Thurman suspended for four games for violation of the league's substance abuse policy."

YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! This is worse than the Ravens! Seriously, is it a coincidence Pittsburgh's ONLY off-season issue in the last 10 years is a drafted wide receiver with baby-momma-drama and a penchant to walk on the street, while the team won a Super Bowl and being the best team in the division in that time? I think not.

As I heard from a very drunk and blunt guy earlier this off-season, "I want to hear nothing anymore from you Cincy f*ckers. You got NUTHIN', so just sit down and shut up. Ok? Thanks..."
MNsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl
I have visited some fantasy football sites where some Bengal fans are embarassed.

Imagine going from Palmer as the face of your franchise to a bunch of criminals. Perceptions is everything and Cincy is now known for their prison stripes. Nice job Marvin.