Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 3.7.12

Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 3.7.12
Wednesday, 07 March 2012 16:39
Written by Gerry Dulac
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ranscript-3712

Steel Curtain Rising: Gerry, I was mildly surprised that the Steelers chose Foote over Farrior, was age the main determining factor, or was something else at play?

Gerry Dulac: Yes, I kind of was, too, but I think age was the determining factor. The money difference, I don't believe, was that great. And I believe Farrior could still go one more year on the same schedule as 2011 -- at least as well as Foote. Of all the players who have been released, he was the one and only who was and still could be a contributor.

Hombre De Acero: Gerry, do you have any insight into regarding which punter the Steelers will opt for?

Gerry Dulac: I really believe they will stay with Jeremy Kapinos. Dan Sepulveda has had three knee surgeries since he's been here and I don't think the Steelers will gamble to give him a new contract because of that. Plus, Kapinos was very good late in the season, and I believe that has earned him the job.

Steel Curtain Rising: What is your take on the Haley-Roethlisberger meeting? Is there a real issue there or was this a case of a non-story simply coming to light because of the technology that exists today?

Gerry Dulac: My take is what I have stated before -- that it was a clash of egos. Ben was waiting for a gold-embossed invitation from Haley and Haley was waiting for his quarterback to come see him. It was a deliberate tactical move on Haley's part. Finally, when the whole situation got out of control and was in the paper on an almost daily basis, Haley was ordered to pick up the phone and call Roethlisberger. And he did.

Jack Splat: Any injury/rehab updates? How are Ben, Keisel, Pouncey, Brown -even Hampton- recovering from the assorted injuires from last season?

Gerry Dulac: You forgot the most serious -- Mendenhall. Too early to knee with the players who had ACL surgery -- Mendenhall, Hampton and Max Starks. The others should be fine. Way too early to be even remotely concerned, though Roethlisberger's injuries are being closely monitored.

fxc: what are the real chances we keep Wallace & sign him to a long term deal??

Gerry Dulac: I think the chances are real good. Ideally, the team wants to keep him and sign him to a long-term contract. But a lot will depend if Wallace wants to sign a long-term deal and likes the offer the Steelers might make; of if he will accept the one-year tender they will offer and try his luck as an unrestricted free agent in 2013.

Hombre De Acero: Gerry, the Steelers seem to have made it pretty clear they're not going to break the bank to keep Mike Wallace. Is this because of simple salary cap realities, or is it because of some of the flaws evident in his game, such as those that you've pointed out?

Gerry Dulac: Well, I'm not sure the Steelers HAVE made it pretty clear about what they're going to pay Wallace. I think lots of people have conjectured, even myself, but the Steelers have only said they want Wallace to be with the team a long time. No question there are still flaws, but those are overshadowed by the number of big plays he makes -- and the number of big plays he creates for other teams. The Steelers offense is built around Ben Roethlisberger and will continue to do so., Why would they want to take away his No. 1 weapon?

Steel Curtain Rising: Given that the offering team has nothing to lose, how likely do you think the Steelers are to have to fend off offers for Legursky and/or Ramon Foster?

Gerry Dulac: It depends if the Steelers tender them the highest offer, too, like Wallace. Then teams would have to compensate with a No. 1 pick. If they don't tender those two the highest offer, then I wouldn't be surprised if some team made one of them an offer. After all, they are starters on a 12-4 team, and that makes them marketable.

Yonco: Have you ever had the chance to play golf with a coach or player? Seems like it might be an interesting way to get some insight into what makes them tick, what they are like away from the game, etc. I know Ben, Arians, Haley are big golfers, probably some others too.

Gerry Dulac: I have, and I have always thought that was a good idea too. Stay tuned.,

Steel Curtain Rising: I asked Ed about this yesterday, now I'd like to get your take. Kevin Colbert pretty said the Steelers don't do bounties, and I hope he's right. Can Steelers Nation sleep well at night should bountygate lead to a team-by-team investigation by the NFL?

Gerry Dulac: Zzzzzzzzzzz!!

Hombre De Acero: I've never been on the "Roger Goodell is out to get Pittsburgh" band wagon, but in '08 the Ravens boasted about putting bounties on Mendenhall and Hines Ward and the league made no bones about looking the other way. Why have they taken a different approach now?

Gerry Dulac: I don't recall the Ravens coming out and saying they placed bounties oin Mendenhall and Ward. Or the league looking the other way.

The Chief: Gerry, what is the logic behind all the Franchise tags on Placekickers?

Gerry Dulac: Because they're cheaper.

Jack Splat: Wallace is a good WR, obviously. But Ben missed him when wide open 40 yards down field on many occasions. May not be a good fit with the QB... Not so sure 2 first round picks - say a stud inside backer and a guard - is such a bad thing if Wallace goes.

Gerry Dulac: Well, first off, it would only be one No. 1 pick, not two. And what if the team that gives Wallace an offer sheet is New England? The Patriots have the 32nd pick. Also, Ben and Wallace have 11 TDs of 40 yards or longer. Only one other active combo has more -- Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne -- so I would say that is a pretty good fit.

fxc: Speaking of Mendenhall, I'd like to see us let him go...RB's are a dime a dozen and I think Redman's style is better than Mendenhall

Gerry Dulac: Good thing you're not the GM.

Dave: Which second year players do you see making an impact next year?

Gerry Dulac: I think Cam Heyward will have a big year. I think he is already ahead of where Ziggy Hood was after one year and I think he will be more of a dynamic player than Hood. Marcus Gilbert will be moved to left tackle after the way he played as a rookie starter at right tackle. And I don't think there's any question the two CBs -- Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen -- will work their way into some kind of rotation. Allen already did last year.

Steel Curtain Rising: In spite of what Kevin Colbert said, should the Steelers get a top NT in the draft (either because he falls to them or they end up with 1sts and trade up) could Casey Hampton also be a cap casualty?

Gerry Dulac: Yes, but only if its the top one -- Dontari Poe. And yes Casey Hampton could also be cut once he's healthy. The Steelers can't cut him now because he's injured. So, yes, it's a possibility.

Gerry Dulac: That's all the time we have today, kids!! Lots of good questions, though I think you all went to sleep on the one little interesting nugget I slipped in there. I'll let you figure it out.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote