Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
BlaZeQuietly
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
Default Can someone summarize the recent roster moves?

I am finding bits and pieces on this website, and Google Isn't helping me.
We damn well better keep Wallace, someone fill me in please and thank you
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544
Default Re: Can someone summarize the recent roster moves?

I hope the rumor that is circulating isn't true. I've read a few sites that say that we'll trade him for a 1st round pick.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

if we do trade him it better be for a 1st rounder in the top 20. we have already talked to his agent and if we realize our price and his are to far apart then there is nothing to do but trade him but it will hurt
Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

First off to summarize our moves: " its about time"... That summarizes cutting the dead weight.

Now on to the "trade" of a 1st round pick and Im assuming you mean Mike Wallace? Wallace is a free agent, Restricted tender. Meaning if someone signs him to an offer sheet, which would be presumably front loaded, the Steelers may have to let him walk. By declining the option, the Steelers would get a 1st round pick. Thereby in theory, trading a 1st rd pick for Mike Wallace. Just not in the typically trade sense.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

The Wallace episode has been determined for days now. Steelers offered enough to make any other suitor that out bids us give up their first round pick. A few teams have the cap space and picks to make a move for him. I am sure the front office has a "ballpark" figure of what Wallace and his agent want, if it is doable then I expect us to make it happen, if not they will take the 1st rounder and do what the Steelers have done best and use it to help the team.

If this happens it will not be the first time the Steelers have let what appeared to be a top notch talent leave. Chad Brown, Levon Kirkland, Rod Woodson, and Joey Porter to name a few. Wallace and his speed may never be replaced, speed that cause opposing defenses trouble and demands double coverage. His drops and lets say less than stellar route running keeps him from being a top three receiver in the league. Brown, Sanders, and Crotchery (if signed) and hopefully some Steeler magic picks in later rounds will fill in nicely. Lets not forget Wallace, Brown and Sanders were all 3rd round or later picks.

As much as I love Wallace in a Steeler uniform, the team cannot break the bank on him. We have other needs now and quality wrs can be found in later rounds if the organization does its homework. Note: the day we drafted Sweed I guess the dog ate our homework. Never have I been so disappointed in a drafted player by the Steelers, Sweed had star written on him but I must have left my glasses somewhere.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Ricco, how often have the steelers been 3 for their last 3 on wr's? Not to often. They got extremely lucky for a self proclaimed ownership group who is run first to get lucky withthose 3 wrs. Keep in mind that Sanders has yet to prve he can't get hurt while running the the food line at lunch..

The bar has been set with Johnsons contract. Equally plenty of reports are out in 10 years no one has signed a restricted FA. However over those same 10 years, it was a 1 and a 3 pick. Now its only a 1. Is there a hidden brotherhood deal that the owners wont F with the RFA's? Who knows. The Steelers still have plenty of options to work salaries but are not yet showing their cards. If they leave just enough salary space tocover a smaller contract with Wllace than the offers may only be something that is currentlyout of their range. But they certainly can immediately reneg Harrisons contract and Troys and bam they free up large chunk. By not showing their overall cap space they would want to go to war, no one will over big to to much on face value as wht they see is what the Steelers "currently " have available. Basically who blinks first. Also Wallace needs to be careful. If no one signs him, it can be tough on him playing for 2.7, and than tag him next year for a 2 year overal value of about 6.5million 2,7 plus the tag of about 10million . He would be pissed. lol
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
The Wallace episode has been determined for days now. Steelers offered enough to make any other suitor that out bids us give up their first round pick. A few teams have the cap space and picks to make a move for him. I am sure the front office has a "ballpark" figure of what Wallace and his agent want, if it is doable then I expect us to make it happen, if not they will take the 1st rounder and do what the Steelers have done best and use it to help the team.

If this happens it will not be the first time the Steelers have let what appeared to be a top notch talent leave. Chad Brown, Levon Kirkland, Rod Woodson, and Joey Porter to name a few. Wallace and his speed may never be replaced, speed that cause opposing defenses trouble and demands double coverage. His drops and lets say less than stellar route running keeps him from being a top three receiver in the league. Brown, Sanders, and Crotchery (if signed) and hopefully some Steeler magic picks in later rounds will fill in nicely. Lets not forget Wallace, Brown and Sanders were all 3rd round or later picks.

As much as I love Wallace in a Steeler uniform, the team cannot break the bank on him. We have other needs now and quality wrs can be found in later rounds if the organization does its homework. Note: the day we drafted Sweed I guess the dog ate our homework. Never have I been so disappointed in a drafted player by the Steelers, Sweed had star written on him but I must have left my glasses somewhere.
Chad Brown is the only example...Kirkland got to heavy and Porter was older...When we cut older players at 32,,,Brown was behind a loaded contract with Lloyd.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I hope Wallace is resigned , but I stand by my original statement. Restructuring every star players salary to free up cap for the current year reeks of the federal governments budget. Eventually these restructures will bite us in the ass. We can hope the cap goes up which it will but we are betting if it will go up enough. If Wallace wants too much let him walk, take our chances on the 1st round pick, as far as last three picks before Sweed there was Nate Washington an undrafted player who is doing well in Nashville. Add Santonio Holmes and Burgess both 1st round picks and I believe the Steelers have done well with Wr picks other than the afore mentioned Sweed. I do know one thing if the deal stinks to the front office they will let him go without looking back, and the fans will be the ones thinking its the end of the world while the FO looks to the future.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

I hate to judge a man especially when I do not know all the details. But if Mike walks I will feel that it's not just because of the money, but that he's content on who he is as a player and where this team has taken him. Guys like this I feel that super bowls aren't everything to them. That may or may not be a bad thing but I like players who truly aspire to be great. Not just saying "I wanna record 2,000 receiving this year." But guys that actually bust tail to improve their game week in and out. Maybe Antonio Brown has already spoiled me and I do not know enough about Wallace, but that Brown kid seems to have it right. Hopefully HE won't be a nutcase when his contract is up. But I guess I'd be okay of any players mindset if our salaries weren't a mess and our priorities could be more focused on retaining our rising talent.

I do not know this to be true but I feel that when free agency opened up in 2011, everyone was going crazy hoping their players wouldn't jump ship. All that happened is every team caught up in the fast pace bidding war ended up keep their players with much higher salaries. Look at Kevin Kolb, Charles Johnson, and our own players like Timmons. Yeah, all three had different situations but the prices were jacked up all the same. Not saying guys didn't deserve their paydays but last off season really screwed a bunch of teams up. We just seem to have it worse because we already had so much invested in our defense and guys were not leaving or retiring as quick as we probably thought they would.
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
fujirama24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18332
My Mood: Crappy

The steelers are not going to overpay a WR. As much as I love Wallace and would love to have him here for the next 8 years, If someone offers him a big contract and we get a First round pick out of him we can't complain. We just have to make the best of the pick. I agree the WR position will take a hit. As long as we don't lose Wallace, Hines and Cotchery we will be fine but if mike leaves and we don't resign Cotchery we will be a 9-7 team at best next year.
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote