Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,081 Posts
Default Re: Kiper has Steelers picking ‘Bama LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
on their weekly radio mock tim ryan and pat kirwan had the steelers passing on both hightower and barron and selecting ta’amu as a day 1 "plug in an play" player who allows them to immediately replace hampton.

called the pick historically staying true to their boards as the BPA.
Good to hear. I thought Ta'amu did fine at the combine, but he was one of the slowest DT's, so didnt know if he was rising or sliding on draft boards.

I thought he has a 2nd round grade, but dont see him getting past the Colts in the 2nd who will need a NT. Still, the Broncos right after us might want a NT too. Ta'amu, Osemele, James Michael Johnson, Brandon Brooks as the first 4 picks would be fine.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #12
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Ta'amu would be a horrible reach at 24. That would be a "OMG we need a NT" panic move at this point. He'll hardly be the BPA and his stock has been on a steady decline since the closing weeks of last season. He really shouldn't even be an option when we pick.

In the event Poe, Glenn, AND Hightower are all gone, I'd like to think we'd go with Barron; and if he were gone we'd probably go best Olineman left (Osemele?). But I really can't picture a scenario where so many prospects on our board are gone that we'd go Ta'amu.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #13
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Seriously... absolutely everyone the Steelers might want to target has "shot up the boards" and some other team will be drafting them? We've gone from no one drafting guards in the first round to now having to settle for Osemele? Doesn't that have to mean that someone who was previously out of our reach will be dropping to us? I mean, how can the math only work against us? It doesn't work that way, folks.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #14
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

Am I the only one not sold on Hightower? He's good but I see him as a mid 2nd round pick. I believe very strongly that he was a product of the system player and needs to work on mechanics way too much to.be a first round player.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #15
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i said last week i thought we might grab Ta'amu in the 1st since Poe will likely be gone in the top 10. i wouldnt call it a stretch at all if we chose him. i know everyone wants certain players but we are all wrong alot more then the steelers.
i remember a few years ago everyone was here saying we had to pick CB Kyle Wilson in the 1st round. if we passed on him it would be a huge mistake. well we did pass and thank god we did. then more recently people were saying we had to pick CB Brandon Harris in the 1st if he dropped to us. well we passed on him as well and he dropped to the 2nd round and dosnt look like he will ever crack the starting lineup.
my point is that most of us belive these mock drafts we read online. since most have Ta'amu going in the 2nd we belive if we grabbed him in the 1st it would be a reach but the Steelers dont miss in the 1st round so whoever they grab i will support and be happy to have on the team.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarin View Post
Am I the only one not sold on Hightower? He's good but I see him as a mid 2nd round pick. I believe very strongly that he was a product of the system player and needs to work on mechanics way too much to.be a first round player.
ILB class is not as deep as in years past. Its why Hightower could go higher, but some have him graded as a top of the 2nd round pick. IMO he he is a faster version of Brandon Spikes with pass rush ability, so bottom of 1st to top of 2nd is reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i said last week i thought we might grab Ta'amu in the 1st since Poe will likely be gone in the top 10. i wouldnt call it a stretch at all if we chose him. i know everyone wants certain players but we are all wrong alot more then the steelers.
1 year ago, many would have had Ta'amu as a top 20 pick. Now some are saying he had a down year in production and is suddenly a reach. If youwatched him Senior Bowl Week and in the Senior Bowl game, you will see he is worth #24.

Ta'amu might be ready to play this season, Dontari Poe might not be ready for a couple years. I think one is a better player than the other, while the other is a better workout warrior than the other.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
ILB class is not as deep as in years past. Its why Hightower could go higher, but some have him graded as a top of the 2nd round pick. IMO he he is a faster version of Brandon Spikes with pass rush ability, so bottom of 1st to top of 2nd is reasonable.

1 year ago, many would have had Ta'amu as a top 20 pick. Now some are saying he had a down year in production and is suddenly a reach. If youwatched him Senior Bowl Week and in the Senior Bowl game, you will see he is worth #24.

Ta'amu might be ready to play this season, Dontari Poe might not be ready for a couple years. I think one is a better player than the other, while the other is a better workout warrior than the other.
I'm happy if the Steelers can take Hightower and I wouldn't mind if they pick Ta'amu. But I want them to trade down if they do target Ta'amu as their first pick.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #18
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
I'm happy if the Steelers can take Hightower and I wouldn't mind if they pick Ta'amu. But I want them to trade down if they do target Ta'amu as their first pick.
But........the Broncos pick right after us and who is their NT in the 3-4 you might ask?? Nobody right now, as Broderick Bunkley is a free agent.

Steelers trade down from #24 and the Broncos select ....Almeda Ta'amu. The Colts also need a NT and could take one with pick #33.

Its why I have no problem with Ta'amu because he will be in demand from the Chiefs, Broncos, Colts, Steelers and I think he is a legit 2-gap defender.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #19
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Colbert already went crazy and drafted a Bunch of LB's...... time for the OL to get some Help
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Colbert already went crazy and drafted a Bunch of LB's...... time for the OL to get some Help
Like who?? Mike Humpal 6th round in 2008, Stevenston Sylvester 5th round in 2010?? Yeah, Colbert has been drafting a TON of ILB's.