Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,584 Posts
Default Re: Kiper has Steelers picking ‘Bama LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Colbert already went crazy and drafted a Bunch of LB's...... time for the OL to get some Help
the steelers haven't used a top 3 pick on an ILBer since kendrell in 2001 ...other notable ILBers that wer drafted early were chad brown 2nd , levon kirkland 2nd, and farrior 1st (jets) ... they were all worth the pick

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 03-10-2012 at 06:35 PM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #22
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Timmons-1st round
Old 03-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #23
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
the steelers haven't used a top 3 pick on an ILBer since kendrell in 2001 ...other notable ILBers that wer drafted early were chad brown 2nd , levon kirkland 2nd, and farrior 1st (jets) ... they were all worth the pick
Exactly!! Got Timmons in the draft and nobody worthy of playing next to him has been drafted since. At worst I am hoping for Johnson, Franklin or Kendricks in the 3rd round latest.

That is, unless we can find a starter in Free Agency.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #24
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
But........the Broncos pick right after us and who is their NT in the 3-4 you might ask?? Nobody right now, as Broderick Bunkley is a free agent.

Steelers trade down from #24 and the Broncos select ....Almeda Ta'amu. The Colts also need a NT and could take one with pick #33.

Its why I have no problem with Ta'amu because he will be in demand from the Chiefs, Broncos, Colts, Steelers and I think he is a legit 2-gap defender.
You're right that Broncos do need a DT. I see lots of mock drafts predict Still to them. So it's very likely that they pick Ta'amu if they like him enough. But in this case I may rather stick it to Hightower. I think picking Ta'amu at #24 is a bit of overdraft.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

The big trouble with this year's draft is as Charlie Casserly put it, there is only like 22 guys with first round grades. Thereby putting the Steelers in a precarious position of having to reach for someone. Any guy projected early 2nd would be ok by me because we would have no shot at them later, but what I'm hoping is for someone to fall through the cracks like Luke Kuechly or Cordy Glenn. Glenn and Hightower are at least ranked first round talent.
Kingmagyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #26
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Hightower is a lot more versatile than people realize. I think he'd be an awesome fit for the Steelers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DONT’A HIGHTOWER IS THE PERFECT STEELER

Posted by Tyler Dunn, March 10th 2012, 9:32 am EST

6’2, 265lb.

Those numbers are impressive for an athletic linebacker coming out of college.

But they aren’t the only impressive traits Dont’a Hightower possesses.

Hightower attended national championship winning Alabama University, where he was schooled in many defensive schemes and positions by Head Coach Nick Saban.

Playing mostly inside linebacker, Hightower was signal caller for the Crimson Tide defense. A defense which was responsible for some of the most memorable performances in college football this past season; culminating in the BCS national title game where the Tide shut out Les Miles’ Louisiana State.

The junior has also effectively performed at outside linebacker and defensive end.

Enter Dick LeBeau and the Steelers.

Read more...

http://pittsburghfootballreport.com/...-steeler-30-2/
Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #27
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

I can see Hightower being a liability in coverage on 3rd downs. There are some draft pundits that have him as a 2nd round talent, so I would not be surprised if he was there at 24 or later. The question might come down to Hightower or Ta'amu at #24.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #28
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i would like to know if more teams are looking at Hightower as a ILB or a OLB. He can play both
Old 03-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #29
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i would like to know if more teams are looking at Hightower as a ILB or a OLB. He can play both
I dont think he has the quickness that his teammate Courtney Upshaw has as a pass rusher. Probably better at ILB.

Think of a big guy like Brandon Spikes, but Hightower ran a 4.68 and Spikes a 5.06 in the 40. Not blazing speed, but not as slow as Spikes and almost the exact speed as Dan Connor.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Timmons-1st round
i didn't add timmons because he was drafted as on outside lber.

Quote:
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- You’ll have to excuse Dont’a Hightower if he doesn’t revel too much in his success at Alabama’s pro day on Wednesday. For the projected first-round selection, there’s still one more workout to go.

Hightower will participate in another pro day with teammates Trent Richardson, Mark Barron and Courtney Upshaw on March 29, tentatively scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. CT. He went through only a few of the drills on Wednesday, focusing on position workouts in front of the assembled crowd of NFL personnel. He turned in a 33-inch vertical jump and 9-foot, 9-inch broad jump.

Hightower said he has lost 10 pounds in an effort to trim down to the prototypical linebacker size. In Tuscaloosa, he said he wanted to show he could do more than put his hand on the ground and rush the quarterback.

“I feel like I showed everybody I had good hips,” Hightower said. “I’m able to come out of my breaks pretty well. I feel like I did really well as far as the position goes.

“I’m not really a drill guy. Once you get me in the pads and on the field, I feel like I did a really good job.”

UA coach Nick Saban said Hightower will fit in well with any NFL defense. In hybrid schemes, he’s especially well suited.

“I think he’s really done it all here,” Saban said. “He’s got a lot of diversity having played a lot of different positions. He’s going to offer the same thing at the next level: inside backer, nickel-backer, defensive end, odd rusher. There’s not very many other things you can do.”
Quote:
Steelers GM Attends Alabama Pro Day; Could Pittsburgh Draft Dont'a Hightower?

Mar 07 6:50p by Alfie Crow

The Pittsburgh Steelers will be looking for linebacker help in the 2012 NFL Draft and one of the players that has been linked to the Steelers is Alabama linebacker Don'ta Hightower. Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert was in attendance on Wednesday during Alabama's Pro Day.

Dale Lolley @dlolleyor

Steelers gm Kevin Colbert among those on hand today at Alabama pro day. Second Tide workout will be March 29

Colbert was likely in attendance to watch Hightower and some of his teammates in linebacker/defensive end Courtney Upshaw and nose tackle Josh Chapman. As mentioned, Hightower has been linked to the Steelers in plenty of mock drafts, but Chapman could also be of big interest for the Steelers. Chapman was the nose tackle in Alabama's defense, but played most of the season on a torn ACL. Chapman had surgery to repair his ACL in January and will likely miss much of the 2012 NFL season, if not all of it, but he was a dominating nose in the Alabama 3-4, which is another position at which the Steelers will be looking to get younger come April.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 03-11-2012 at 09:52 PM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote