Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Retired receiver Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace

Retired receiver Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hines Ward had a message for Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace when the two talked about the latter's long-term future: don't just make it about money.

"I am always going to be his biggest fan, but it is a very special place to play here and I have been blessed to have played all 14 years here, so I just told Mike to keep it in that perspective," said Ward, who officially retired Tuesday.

Wallace is a restricted free agent, and the third-year veteran has an uncertain future with the Steelers. They offered him a one-year, $2.7 million contract the highest that can be given to a restricted free agent and they receive a first-round pick if Wallace signs with another team.

Giving up big money and a premium draft pick has prevented teams from bidding on Wallace though he can stay on the free-agent market for another month. Even if the Pro Bowler signs his one-year deal, there are questions about whether the Steelers will have enough salary-cap space to get a long-term deal done before the start of the regular season.

General manager Kevin Colbert said last month that Wallace is very much a part of the Steelers' long-range plans.

"I hope he stays and continues the rich tradition of wideouts here," said Ward, the Steelers' all-time leading receiver. "He is an explosive guy, and the sky is the limit for Mike."

>> Ward said he doesn't know what is next for him, although he shouldn't have any shortage of options when it comes to television. Ward also said coaching could be in his future if he can learn to harness the emotions that served him so well during a 14-year playing career.

"Maybe down the road I might want to get into coaching, even though (Steelers coach Mike Tomlin) doesn't think I will be as great coach because of the passion that I have," Ward said. "I hope that I will always have Pittsburgh to come back to. I'd love to walk back into this building and still feel like I am a part of this organization."

>> Steelers cornerback William Gay, an unrestricted free agent, made his second visit in as many days Tuesday, meeting with the Tennessee Titans in Nashville. The fifth-year veteran visited the Arizona Cardinals on Monday.

Gay told TribLive Radio last week that he hopes to re-sign with the Steelers. The fifth-round pick in 2007 came into his own last season, starting 15 regular-season games and tying for the team lead in interceptions (two) and tying for second in passes defended (13). Gay finished sixth on the Steelers with 56 tackles.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Retired receiver Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1pky4iydH
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Retired receiver Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace

Wallace is also "counseled" by his agent which is where 95% of his decision of where to play will come from. He will absolutely go where the biggest payday is. No question.

I hope Hines gets in the door in the coaching world. I think he'll do good and hope someone gives him an opportunity sooner than later. The sooner would be more likely.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080
Default Re: Retired receiver Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace

It all comes down to the money in the end. However, I think a lot of guys now with the amounts of money being thrown around are starting to look at taking a little less to play for winning teams.

If the Steelers are offering anything close to what other teams can come up with it would be a prudent CAREER move to stay with an organization that is pretty much a lock to make it into the playoffs year in and year out.

That or he could end up playing for jokes like the Bungles, Rams, Seaturds etc etc etc... and become an afterthought.