Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #21
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,555 Times in 1,686 Posts
Default Re: Stevenson Sylvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Just because a draft pick didn't work out does not mean it was a reach. Let us also not forget that there was no offseason last year, which is highly detrimental to the growth of young players adjusting to complex schemes.
Many of the draft experts had Trai Essex as a 5-6th round guy. A TE that converted to OT at Northwester that was taken in the 3rd.

Similar with Bruce Davis, who most thought that Cliff Avril was the better pass rusher and was available at that pick.

Mathias Nkwenti is another OT from Temple that the Steelers reached for when they saw that his short shuttle time was more like a TE than a OT..........so dont think the Steelers dont reach for talent at times too.

If you are referring to Worilds development, he was on the team, had gotten paid and hopefully should have been down with his teamates training at Orlando under Tom Shaw, using the money from his 2nd round contract. I understand rookies not developing as fast last year, but not 2nd year players.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarin View Post
Key was the most intense special teams player I have ever seen and I thought he would be Harrison's successor but he was ready to step up and Harrison is still on his game. Sad but true nature of this team and the NFL as a whole. Why is it that you believe he can't play? Do you get to sit and watch team practices week in and week out? He has played maybe a total of 50 downs in the NFL, and that is over the span of 2 years. He needs consistent play time to gauge his ability. Give the guy a shot and quit flagging promising players as a bust before you see what they are capable of.
Sylvester is a special teamer, I am fine with that. He still was not as good as Curtis Brown, Chidi Iwoma, Anthony Madison. I am not ready to plug him into the starting lineup, when he hasnt pushed Foote at all to be the prime backup. I watched him in 2 years of preseason, scouted him as a senior and he looks to play high, tall and a step behind the play...........exactly what I think of a 5th or 6th round talent.

I actually think his size and height lend him to being a better OLB for the Steelers. As you say, the kid has maybe 50 downs of playing time in him and you think he is ready to start at ILB for the Steelers and the Steelers do not need to draft an ILB.

Quit flagging every Steelers pick as a guy that has a shot to start this season and saying that we are fine at ILB with Foote and Sylvester when we are not.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
If you are referring to Worilds development, he was on the team, had gotten paid and hopefully should have been down with his teamates training at Orlando under Tom Shaw, using the money from his 2nd round contract. I understand rookies not developing as fast last year, but not 2nd year players.
Worilds was basically a one year starter converting to a new position at the next level. And how many Steelers do you think actually go down to Florida to train with Shaw? As far as I'm aware, it's mostly just the cornerbacks.

Worilds has shown more than potential in his first two seasons. He was hampered by lack of a true offseason and injuries, which stunted his potential growth, so we'll see where he is this year. We'll also see where Sylvester is as well.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #24
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Worilds was basically a one year starter converting to a new position at the next level. And how many Steelers do you think actually go down to Florida to train with Shaw? As far as I'm aware, it's mostly just the cornerbacks.

Worilds has shown more than potential in his first two seasons. He was hampered by lack of a true offseason and injuries, which stunted his potential growth, so we'll see where he is this year. We'll also see where Sylvester is as well.
Point is the true professionals went and trained in the offseason despite the NFL lockout. The lazy ones like Bryant McKinnie, Max Starks, etc went out and tried to eat themselves out of the NFL.

Worilds probably spent his own $ and trained. He still looked less impressive in his 2nd season than rookie Chris Carter did IMO.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #25
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

A lot of people have mentioned how impressed they were with Chris Carter. He did not impress me at all. He was way too small last year and didn't have nearly the success Worilds did in his limited playing time his rookie season. How about we just wait to see what happens instead of pretending that we can guess? James Harrison hasn't announced his retirement yet.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #26
CA Black & Gold
Water Boy

Member Number: 21765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
I really don't want to see Foote starting. I was happy the day he left and dreaded the day they re-signed him
We will never be successful with Foote at ILB. Dude is over the hill too, just like Farrior was. Can't believe we even brought him back.
CA Black & Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #27
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,080 Times in 4,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Point is the true professionals went and trained in the offseason despite the NFL lockout. The lazy ones like Bryant McKinnie, Max Starks, etc went out and tried to eat themselves out of the NFL.

Worilds probably spent his own $ and trained. He still looked less impressive in his 2nd season than rookie Chris Carter did IMO.
Quote:
A lot of people have mentioned how impressed they were with Chris Carter. He did not impress me at all. He was way too small last year and didn't have nearly the success Worilds did in his limited playing time his rookie season. How about we just wait to see what happens instead of pretending that we can guess? James Harrison hasn't announced his retirement yet.
the true travesty in all of this, is that we are still haunted by the release of thaddeus gibson (a decision we will live to regret for years to come) who is currently 1st Team All-Pro of the Wal Mart Shelf Stockers Association.

perhaps we can lure him out of his current lifes work.

either that, or draft someone to take farriors slot and have him compete with sylvester/foote.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #28
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the true travesty in all of this, is that we are still haunted by the release of thaddeus gibson (a decision we will live to regret for years to come) who is currently 1st Team All-Pro of the Wal Mart Shelf Stockers Association.

perhaps we can lure him out of his current lifes work.

either that, or draft someone to take farriors slot and have him compete with sylvester/foote.
We had to get rid of Thad to make space because of o-line issues. Should have taken it as a sign
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
No, Harrison has not announced his retirement, but the Steelers have been searching for his successor since the draft of Bruce Davis, then Thad Gibson, now Worilds and Carter.

Yes, Worids weighs 10lbs more than Carter, but Carter looks like a more fluid athlete and natural pass rusher. Worilds is still learning the position, but looked to be more of a liability in coverage and unable to get the corner on RT's, while Carter looked to have a much quicker first step. I hope they both turn out to be great for us, but Worilds looked to me to be having a slower learning curve.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #30
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Black & Gold View Post
We will never be successful with Foote at ILB. Dude is over the hill too, just like Farrior was. Can't believe we even brought him back.
Totally bro, he's only started on both super bowl winning teams recently. No way the Steelers can win with him. Foote has played very well, with a few poor plays here and there, since he's returned.