Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #31
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,555 Times in 1,686 Posts
Default Re: Stevenson Sylvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Totally bro, he's only started on both super bowl winning teams recently. No way the Steelers can win with him. Foote has played very well, with a few poor plays here and there, since he's returned.
The Steelers let Foote walk in 2009 and then the Lions let him walk the following year because he wanted starter money and they were just going to use him as a backup.

Thinking he is the answer along side Timmons probably isnt what the Steelers are thinking. He may get a chance to start this season for a year while a rookie pick is prepared to start in 2013.

Or Stevenson Sylvester will become an all pro starter this season as many seem to be projecting.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #32
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

That was the entire point of bringing Foote back, so that he would start for a year or two while they acquired Farrior's long-term replacement. This is pretty much what everybody has been saying since he was re-signed.

I think that the ILB rotation hurt both Foot and Farrior last year. Foote played very well in 2010, but less-so overall last year. I think that he may play better overall as a full-time starter, especially with more stability around him, particularly amongst the linebackers, which was certainly not the case last year.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #33
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
That was the entire point of bringing Foote back, so that he would start for a year or two while they acquired Farrior's long-term replacement. This is pretty much what everybody has been saying since he was re-signed.

I think that the ILB rotation hurt both Foot and Farrior last year. Foote played very well in 2010, but less-so overall last year. I think that he may play better overall as a full-time starter, especially with more stability around him, particularly amongst the linebackers, which was certainly not the case last year.
Larry Foote had 16 tackles in 2010, while not starting a game that season. But had 30 tackles in 5 starts in 2011.

I think most of us fans here know that he is an average LB, but not as good as he was 4 or 5 years ago. Not really thrilled with having an average to below average ILB starting this season, but that is what happens when you dont draft a decent successor.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #34
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Allow me to quote an excerpt from an old post of mine:

Quote:
Here's what Pro Football Focus had to say about Foote in the week 17 game recap against the Browns:

Quote:
Larry Foote (+2.5) is some insurance policy for the Steelers; each time Foote has seen sustained action off the bench this season he’s come up with, at worst, a solid display. Foote spurned a starting role to return to Pittsburgh as a backup, and to have such a quality all-around defender as a backup is a rare treat. Foote graded positively in run defense, pass coverage and as a pass-rusher on Sunday, with the sack, hit and pressure being his strongest impact. Does Foote yet have a key role to play for the Steelers in the playoffs?
As a bonus, here's what they said after the Dolphins game:

Quote:
Larry Foote (+2.9) was one of three Steeler inside linebackers to impress as Dick LeBeau‘s interior defense dominated the middle. All three Steelers’ ILB graded above +2.0 overall (James Farrior +3.1, Lawrence Timmons +2.4), but Foote’s grade on 18 snaps was particularly impressive. The RILB registered a sack and two pressures on only five blitzes. All three of his tackles were stops and in coverage he surrendered a solitary 5-yard reception. It was interesting (to say the least) to see Foote leave a starting role in Detroit to return to a backup role in Pittsburgh, but if he continues to put in spot performances like this, Steelers fans won’t be disappointed.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #35
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Allow me to quote an excerpt from an old post of mine:
How old was that post?? We didnt play the Dolphins in 2011.

And what is pro football focus? A blog that you operate??
Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #36
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

1) As I stated, I was talking about his play in 2010. He was a great asset in 2010, and those quotes are from the 2010 season. He didn't play as well last year, and I offered a reason for why that might have been.

2) Use google. I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the site. It's one of those sites, along with Football Outsiders, that looks deeper into statistics than ESPN or NFL.com.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #37
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
1) As I stated, I was talking about his play in 2010. He was a great asset in 2010, and those quotes are from the 2010 season. He didn't play as well last year, and I offered a reason for why that might have been.

2) Use google. I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the site. It's one of those sites, along with Football Outsiders, that looks deeper into statistics than ESPN or NFL.com.
You are not by chance a poster that used to go by UltimateFanNetwork.......are you??

Football Outsiders had Mewelde Moore ranked as the best RB in the NFL approx 4 years ago based on his DVOA. Guys with slide rules making up formulas to rank football players.............great.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #38
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

This is the only user name I've had on this forum, although I'd browsed it on and off for a couple years before I joined.

The rankings that these sites often give I usually ignore, but when they make actual commentaries, they are usually spot on. I'm not really a sabermetrics kind of guy.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #39
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

After all this, I still dont think Larry Foote or Stevenson Sylvester are great starting options for the Steelers at ILB.

I think any other starting LB in our division or the AFC East is better than either. That list includes:

DQuell Jackson
Ray Lewis
Ray Maualuga
Jameel McLain
Brandon Spikes
Bart Scott
David Harris
Nick Barnett
Karlos Dansby

The only guys that I think Foote would be an upgrade over in those teams is Kelvin Burnett of the Dolphins and Kelvin Sheppard of the Bills. Steelers should not be accepting mediocrity at ILB.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #40
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Uh, they don't really have a choice, bro.