Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default We need to sign a running back

I'm not going to pretend to be knowledgeable on the intricacies of the salary cap or how much a particular back is going to go for and what our price range is, etc. All I know is this: Mendenhall is a question mark in any sense of the word. I was very impressed with Redman last season; the dude just seems to have a knack for bulldozing forward and picking up the extra yards. I hear good things about Baron Batch, Dwyer showed some potential with that 75-yard jaunt against Tennessee, and Clay could have potential. I haven't heard anything on Mewelde, who I've always liked and who has done a good job here these past few seasons - is there any chance we resign him?

What if Mendenhall can't play for most of the season, and then Redman goes down? Then we're left with a whole bunch of unproven back there. If our running back corps gets banged up we could be a serious bind. So, my suggestion is that we look elsewhere for another back. I would even go so far as to say that it wouldn't be crazy to cut Mendy loose and sign Brandon Jacobs or Tolbert. I don't think Mendenhall is our long-term answer, so why pretend that he is?

There are a bevy of solid, veteran RBs available: LT, Justin Forsett, Kevin Smith, Tashard Choice - full list here http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/rb.html. Again, I'm not sure if any of this could even happen feasibly with our cap issues. All I'm saying is, we could be setting ourselves up to be awfully thin at a pretty vital position.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
wyn50
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8941
Default Re: We need to sign a running back

I bet you will see a lot of movement soon.....probably near or on draft day.
wyn50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
buzzkill
Water Boy

Member Number: 23953

Tolbert would be an excellent choice. He is built like a bowling ball, has quick feet, a nose for the end zone and is a unselfish team player. The price tag might not be to high either. Mike T. Is a very under-valued player who seems to go under the radar. He is also fairly young compared to Jacobs , who is known to be selfish and dances way to much for being the man-child he is.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Posted by Tyler Dunn, March 10 2012, 10:43 am EST

The Colts have released Joseph Addai.

The Steelers should look into his price tag. And if it’s a bargain, they should purchase.

The first time Addai carried the ball was in the “Manning Bowl” of 2006. Indianapolis had just drafted him out of LSU. Taking the hand-off from Peyton Manning on a stretch play going left, he gained 8 yards and smacked Gibril Wilson on his way out of bounds.

Read more...

http://pittsburghfootballreport.com/...oe-addai-23-2/
Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Tolbert would be an excellent choice. He is built like a bowling ball, has quick feet, a nose for the end zone and is a unselfish team player. The price tag might not be to high either. Mike T. Is a very under-valued player who seems to go under the radar. He is also fairly young compared to Jacobs , who is known to be selfish and dances way to much for being the man-child he is.
Tolbert would be a great fit in Pittsburgh.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
buzzkill
Water Boy

Member Number: 23953

Tim Hightower is also a good value from the list of free agents.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Steel Boss
Water Boy

Member Number: 18986

Running back is easily the most replaceable position in football. I'd be perfectly comfortable going with some combo of Redman, Dwyer, Clay and Batch as the 3rd down/speed back. If they don't work out, you can always pick up a street free agent. I wouldn't remotely prioritize adding another running back in the draft or free agency.
Steel Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Terrible cap space precludes the Steelers from signing anyone right now but as they often do if a back is unsigned by training camp time the Steelers will try to get them on the cheap.

I'm beginning to think a RB is not out of the question in the draft but I do believe because of our stock pile of big backs (Batch ran a 40 time range: 4.50-4.54 by the way) they will be looking for pure speed.

LaMichael James, RB, Oregon 4.37 (probably high 3rd round though)
Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego State 4.41

or more like a

Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati 4.41 (who the steelers went to see and talk to) or
Chris Rainey, WR/RB/KR/PR, Florida 4.37

One thing is for sure they can find another back in the draft easily enough A pure speed guy would give us the Thunder (Redman) and Lightning (Pead/Rainey) to really get the most out of the backfield.

Also Dwyer has to step up and understand the position he is in to be a #2 and seize the opportunity.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

What is wrong with Redman, Dwyer and Clay? I think RB is one of the least of our worries.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
What is wrong with Redman, Dwyer and Clay? I think RB is one of the least of our worries.
Nothing is necessarily wrong with them, but their are a number of factors that could work against us down the road. Their all young and unproven (though Redman has looked excellent IMO when he's gotten his chances); Dwyer and Clay barely saw the field last season, and Clay was a Week 15 pickup. If one or more of these guys suffers injuries we could be in big trouble.

Addai and Hightower are two solid options, as mentioned above. All I'm saying is, it wouldn't hurt to bring a cheap veteran back in here at the very least as an insurance policy.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote