Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #41
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648
Default Re: Your preseason Top 5.

Top 5 for '07

1. Florida (ugh-that hurts)
2. So. Cal
3. Texas
4. LSU
5. Michigan

My ones to watch-Rutgers, Boise State.

Geez. Is it September yet?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #42
CrimsonTideSteelersFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4772

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphissteelergirl View Post
Top 5 for '07

1. Florida (ugh-that hurts)
2. So. Cal
3. Texas
4. LSU
5. Michigan

My ones to watch-Rutgers, Boise State.

Geez. Is it September yet?

Those are good picks. I think that Florida might be better this season with Tebow leading the offense. I'm curious to see what Les Miles does in year three down in Baton Rouge - I'm still not sold on him just yet!
CrimsonTideSteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #43
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTideSteelersFan View Post
Those are good picks. I think that Florida might be better this season with Tebow leading the offense. I'm curious to see what Les Miles does in year three down in Baton Rouge - I'm still not sold on him just yet!
Well he got them to the Sugar Bowl so he can't be doing all that bad...but there's not much you can mess up with a JaMarcus Russell on your team. LOL.

So, what's your opinion of Saban? Think he'll get the program on the right track?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #44
CrimsonTideSteelersFan
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Well he got them to the Sugar Bowl so he can't be doing all that bad...but there's not much you can mess up with a JaMarcus Russell on your team. LOL.

So, what's your opinion of Saban? Think he'll get the program on the right track?
I don't think Miles is a bad coach - heck he's gone 22-4 in his first two seasons, but I want to see him once he gets his recruits in place.

I think that the Saban hire is what Alabama's program needed at this time. Bama didn't need to take a chance on a lessor-named coach. We've been there before in recent years and it didn't work (i.e., Mike Dubose, Mike Shula). Alabama needed to go out and "hit a homerun" and I think that that's exactly what Mal Moore did. Saban has had a late start in the recruiting hunt for 2007, but from what I've heard and read, I believe that this class will end up being a really good one when it's all said and done.

Saban has taken a huge hit from the national media, NFL fans, and from non-Alabama fans, but I think that this will be a forgotten issue before too much longer. He obviously realized that he enjoys coaching college football more than pro ball and he did not only himself a favor, but the Miami Dolphins franchise a favor by going ahead and leaving now instead of next year. Miami and Alabama will probably both be better off because of it.

It really tickles me that ESPN and the Jim Rome's of the world said that after Alabama fired Mike Shula, no topnotch coach would ever take the Alabama job. Alabama ended up getting the last laugh on that one. It also now appears that if Saban wouldn't have taken the job, Bobby Petrino would have since he bolted UofL for the Falcons. Petrino was the next candidate on Bama's list after Saban.

I say Bama goes 9-4 or so this coming fall and then look for the Tide to start competing for SEC titles again beginning with the '08 season. I have that LSU game for November 3rd in Tuscaloosa circled on my calendar already!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #45
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Yeah, I agree...not too many college coaches end up being successful or happy on the pro level.

Saban will definitely give the program a shot in the arm.

Meanwhile, I am hoping my alma mater (U of Memphis) can recover from that train wreck last season and get back on track. We have some good jr. college players coming in, and recruiting is looking up. We've had some good recruiting classes the past couple of years, so we have good talent in place-just need to plug up some holes here and there. So here's hoping our schools will have better success in '07!

GO TIGERS!

ROLL TIDE!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #46
CrimsonTideSteelersFan
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Yeah, I agree...not too many college coaches end up being successful or happy on the pro level.

Saban will definitely give the program a shot in the arm.

Meanwhile, I am hoping my alma mater (U of Memphis) can recover from that train wreck last season and get back on track. We have some good jr. college players coming in, and recruiting is looking up. We've had some good recruiting classes the past couple of years, so we have good talent in place-just need to plug up some holes here and there. So here's hoping our schools will have better success in '07!

GO TIGERS!

ROLL TIDE!
Memphis is a program that I've liked for a long time. I remember Memphis (Memphis State) beating Alabama in 1987, 14-7. Then the very next week Bama demolishes an undefeated Tennessee team in Birmingham. Go figure!

I follow CUSA really closely and like the so-called mid-major conferences. I have a degree from Troy University, so I also follow the Trojans and the Sun Belt teams.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #47
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Hey, I was at that game! Yikes, can't believe that was 20 years ago!

Tommy West has done a phenomenal job there! That football program was on life support and there was a lot of talk of pulling the plug! So that's why I think last season was just a setback. Tommy knows how to win so I think we will get the program going again next year.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #48
CrimsonTideSteelersFan
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Hey, I was at that game! Yikes, can't believe that was 20 years ago!

Tommy West has done a phenomenal job there! That football program was on life support and there was a lot of talk of pulling the plug! So that's why I think last season was just a setback. Tommy knows how to win so I think we will get the program going again next year.
I went to the Bama/Memphis game in 1989 in Birmingham and I also saw Memphis and Ole Miss play in 1988 in Jackson. A friend of mine growing up was an Ole Miss fan and his dad took us to that game. It was a downpour for most of the first half. I had to pretend like I was an Ole Miss fan but I was secretly pulling for the Tigers!

I hope you beat Ole Miss and that freaky coach of their's this season. West is an outstanding coach. One of my high school teammates, Dexter McCleon, played for West at Clemson in the 90's.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #49
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTideSteelersFan View Post
I hope you beat Ole Miss and that freaky coach of their's this season. West is an outstanding coach. One of my high school teammates, Dexter McCleon, played for West at Clemson in the 90's.
Nah, that might get the missing link fired. I'd like to see OM at 5-7 so they "show improvement" and let the idiot run the program into the ground for another year.

For those not in SEC country, check out "Colonel Reb Is Crying" on Youtube.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #50
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Nah, that might get the missing link fired. I'd like to see OM at 5-7 so they "show improvement" and let the idiot run the program into the ground for another year.

For those not in SEC country, check out "Colonel Reb Is Crying" on Youtube.

OK...are you an Ole Miss grad who just doesn't like Orgeron or a Miss. State or So. Miss alum?