Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #21
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Casey Hampton restructures contract

Well what Hampton gave up wasnt much difference than cutting him. So to roll the dice isn't as bad as carrying Smith for 2 years and aying him 10million when we couldve used that money elsewhere to secure players long term.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busforever View Post
Sure, but I don't think he was affraid being without team in 2012. A large body like Hampton can attract some teams in FA, even knowing he's recovering from an ACL, even if he's 35. He took the paycut because he wants to be a Steeler.

your right and everyone else is right... I think its 50 50... Hampton wants to be a steeler cause its is best option in every since of the word.. Family.. business etc... the steelers Im 100 percent sure also let him know in a nice way if he dont take the pay cut they cant keep him...

bottom line its a player that seems to have some brains... we have paid him well over the years... now he is 35.. coming off a very average year and now a ACL that lets face it will make him a back up at best this year. so he did the right thing and gave back to stay a steeler...

I will say this though... I dont think anyone would have give him a shot at nothing more then the vet min... no way in hell another team brings him in at 35 and ACL injury that wont be ready to go til prob oct if at all)
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,443 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Thank you. I dont understand how they can sat Mclendon is as good as Hampton. Must be dreaming. Mclendon is a back up period. If we had to start him all season teams will run right thru him
McClendon is a younger and more athletic version of Hoke. A guy that can fill in at NT and also play DE in the 3-4.

If the Steelers want a 2 gap NT, Hampton is the only one on the roster and otherwise I am hoping Ta'amu somehow gets drafted by us.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #24
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsteel View Post
Agreed.

And besides if Snack does rehab the knee well . . . he is still a huge body that is hard to move. And that is the NT's primary job.

Sink your ass and don't let the double team move you. Snack can still do that.

I am glad he's back. Definitely need to draft another - lard ass - - - er I mean -anchor for the D . . . however, I think one can be gotten in the 3rd or 4th round.

To me, this deal means we're most likely to go O-line 1st.
Exactly...If snack comes back healthy whoever gets drafted isn't going to be starting so might as well take one to groom for a year in the 3-4 round and let him possibly start next year...the O Line DOESN'T HAVE THAT LUXURY
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #25
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsteel View Post
Agreed.

And besides if Snack does rehab the knee well . . . he is still a huge body that is hard to move. And that is the NT's primary job.

Sink your ass and don't let the double team move you. Snack can still do that.

I am glad he's back. Definitely need to draft another - lard ass - - - er I mean -anchor for the D . . . however, I think one can be gotten in the 3rd or 4th round.

To me, this deal means we're most likely to go O-line 1st.

look dont take this the wrong way...and also I love the big boy to... Im fine with him coming back with a pay cut as a back up... but I got to tell you man... Im not sure what games you were watching last year but he was healthy last year.. NO ACL tear and the days of him chewing up double teams are gone... Me and my best bud would watch the games back just for fun and count how many times he was double teamed and it was only 2 or 3 a game.. Yes I know that sounds crazy but its true... and even worse he usually got blocked and drove off ball about 2 to 3 yards 50 percent of the time from the single team... I know you wont believe this but all I can say is go back and watch some of the games if you keep them recorded and just watch Hampon every play... it will blow your mind to see how much he has fallen off and thats without a Tore ACL...

Look I still got respect for him and yes one out of every 10 plays or so he will blow the center 5 yards back which is cool to see... he is also a team leader but bottom line if Hampton is anything more then a back up that gives us a few snaps here and there then I would be shocked... and if he does play full time we will get killed on the point of attack...

Dont rip me for it..go back and watch the tape and youll see it for yourself...
Old 03-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #26
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_MINUTES View Post
I know you wont believe this but all I can say is go back and watch some of the games if you keep them recorded and just watch Hampon every play... it

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #27
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
look dont take this the wrong way...and also I love the big boy to... Im fine with him coming back with a pay cut as a back up... but I got to tell you man... Im not sure what games you were watching last year but he was healthy last year.. NO ACL tear and the days of him chewing up double teams are gone... Me and my best bud would watch the games back just for fun and count how many times he was double teamed and it was only 2 or 3 a game.. Yes I know that sounds crazy but its true... and even worse he usually got blocked and drove off ball about 2 to 3 yards 50 percent of the time from the single team... I know you wont believe this but all I can say is go back and watch some of the games if you keep them recorded and just watch Hampon every play... it will blow your mind to see how much he has fallen off and thats without a Tore ACL...

Look I still got respect for him and yes one out of every 10 plays or so he will blow the center 5 yards back which is cool to see... he is also a team leader but bottom line if Hampton is anything more then a back up that gives us a few snaps here and there then I would be shocked... and if he does play full time we will get killed on the point of attack...

Exactly! It is what it is....
Old 03-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #28
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:

what were you watching? i record every game and just watched 2 to see if you were right and were not. i made it thru 2 games before i realized there was no point. I counted more then 2 or 3 and that was before halftime plus i couldnt see him on every play. as for McClendon, how many times was he doubled? like i said, Hampton is passed his prime but anyone who feels McClendon is the next great NT for the steelers is just insane. he weighs less then our ends and is less athletic then our last 2 NT's. we need a space eater to stop the run or at least someone who can push the pocket
Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #29
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,443 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:
what were you watching? i record every game and just watched 2 to see if you were right and were not. i made it thru 2 games before i realized there was no point. I counted more then 2 or 3 and that was before halftime plus i couldnt see him on every play. as for McClendon, how many times was he doubled? like i said, Hampton is passed his prime but anyone who feels McClendon is the next great NT for the steelers is just insane. he weighs less then our ends and is less athletic then our last 2 NT's. we need a space eater to stop the run or at least someone who can push the pocket
I think McClendon is more athletic than Hoke or Hampton, but not the prototype Zero technique. Good reserve, but not a guy you want starting 16 games at NT unless you want other teams to be able to block your ILB's consistently.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #30
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Quote:

Well Im not sure what games you watched but most all the games I rewatch has him getting double teamed.. not more then a hand full of times every game...

you just said you watched two games til half time and he was doubled 2 to 3 times by half... do you think that is good??? most great NT should chew up a double team every play.. just like Hampton use to... and no Im not saying McClendon is the answer either Im just pointing out that Hampton has fell off pretty bad and for GOD sakes he is coming off ACL injury in Jan... come on guys how in the world do you think our overweight NT who is 35 36 years old will be any help at all this year

by the way Im not counting double teams on Passing plays.. just the running plays...

anyway the games I watch he is handled 75 percent of the time by a single team and is blocked well... Agaiin a 3 4 NT like Hampton was in his prime commands a double team every time