Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Draft offers Steelers options to shore offensive line

Draft offers Steelers options to shore offensive line

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, March 18, 2012

A sense of obligation drives Willie Colon, as the Steelers right tackle again works his way back from injury.

"In my heart of hearts, I feel like I'm in debt to my two coaches, (Mike) Tomlin and (offensive line coach Sean) Kugler, and I feel like I'm in debt to this team," said Colon, who missed last season after tearing his triceps in the first game and sat out 2010 because of a ruptured Achilles.

"My mindset right now is just getting back out on that field and trying to be a cowbell for that line and get things rolling."

The larger question for the Steelers -- even if Colon returns better than ever -- is how much they will address a perceived deficit on their offensive line.

Free agency started last week, but the Steelers, per their history and salary cap restrictions, are not expected to be players.

The draft in late April offers a more realistic option to upgrade a line that is often blamed when the offense sputters.

It also may be appealing for other reasons: The 2012 class is considered deep and talented at guard, and the Steelers' interior-line needs may only be rivaled by those at inside linebacker.

The team's top two guards in 2011 were undrafted free agents Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky, and the latter's best position may be center. The team recently released Chris Kemoeatu, who started 47 games at left guard.

The Steelers also have concerns at tackle, even though Colon's return allows them to move second-year man Marcus Gilbert from the right to the left side.

Max Starks, who started the final 13 games at left tackle last season, is an unrestricted free agent. Starks likely will remain unsigned until he works his way back from a torn ACL he sustained in January.

That leaves Jonathan Scott as the only other experienced tackle on the roster.

"They've got to continue to get younger and more athletic, protect the quarterback," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said of the Steelers' offensive line. "I think that's first and foremost."

Is OL a high draft priority?

Since 2000, the year Kevin Colbert took charge of the player personnel department, the Steelers have taken just two offensive linemen with their top pick.

Colbert, however, bristles at the suggestion that the team has overlooked the offensive line by pointing out recent draft history.

The Steelers used their first pick in 2010 (No. 18 overall) on eventual All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey. They took Gilbert, like Pouncey from Florida, in the second round last year.

They also used a third-round pick in 2009 on Wisconsin guard Kraig Urbik.

Urbik lasted one season, though the Steelers made up for that mistake with Foster, who signed in 2009 and has made 29 starts at guard.

"No team has five first-rounders on the offensive line that I know of," said Colbert, the Steelers' general manager. "No team has five Pro Bowlers. It's always going to be a collection of different players."

Colbert can make a good argument why the Steelers shouldn't use their first-round pick this year (No. 24 overall) on an interior offensive linemen.

"Guard," he said, "it's deeper than it ever has been."

Analysts agree. Mayock said quality guards can be found through the first three rounds.

San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke, who helped rebuild the 49ers by drafting two linemen early in the same draft, also gives the offensive line class high marks.

"I think there's depth at the high end," said Baalke, who picked tackle Anthony Davis and guard Mike Iupati in the first round in 2010. "I think there's depth through the middle of it, and there's depth at the low end of it. It's a quality group."

In his latest mock draft, ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has the Steelers taking Alabama inside linebacker Dont'a Hightower with their first pick.

The Steelers have also been linked with Georgia offensive linemen Cordy Glenn in various mock drafts.

Glenn, a 6-foot-5 1/2, 345-pounder with nimble feet, excelled at left tackle in the SEC, and he could play guard or tackle in the NFL.

His versatility is something that would add to Glenn's appeal for the Steelers.

"If Glenn were there, he would be interesting to look at," Kiper said.

The health factor

Colon isn't pondering how the Steelers' draft will shake out -- or how it will impact the line.

A fourth-round pick in 2006, Colon has been around long enough that criticism of the offensive line makes him roll his eyes.

"I've heard it since I stepped through the door," Colon said. "I think we have gotten better."

Kugler has earned praise for drilling a physical mindset into his linemen. He also has developed a dynamic similar to what assistant head coach John Mitchell has long had with the defensive linemen: The players will do anything not to let him down.

The team, however, could do nothing to avoid injuries. The Steelers last season used 11 different starting line combinations.

"That's really the ultimate question: If we can keep at least five solid guys consistently out there, how good can this line get? We all know the talent we have in that room," Colon said. "It's about us staying healthy, no doubt, and secondly, it's about having enough time together where we can work together (as one) without thought."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Draft offers Steelers options to shore offensive line - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1pTjjDBZS
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653
Default Re: Draft offers Steelers options to shore offensive line

I hope DeCastro magically drops to #24.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
I hope DeCastro magically drops to #24.
Glenn in the first or Osemele in the second. Both are strong and athletic enough to become great pulling guards.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarin View Post
Glenn in the first or Osemele in the second. Both are strong and athletic enough to become great pulling guards.
Osemele isnt that athletic to be a guy that pulls well. More of an inline mauler and a guy that could also play RT. Glenn also doesnt look to be a guy that pulls well and isnt a natural knee bender.

I think a guy like Zeitler is a more athletic guard and has better pad level. Same with Philip Blake from Baylor, or Silatolu, Brandon Brooks, etc. The guard class is pretty deep this year.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

I think Cordy Glenn would be an outstanding pulling left guard as most guys moved from tackle to the inside are. The guy would be a great pick up as he could start at LG or RT for years and be a probowler doing it.

from cbssports.com

Pulling/trapping: Shows surprising quickness and fluidity when pulling from left guard to lead on the toss and counter. Light on his feet and can adjust to hit the moving target at the second level.

Downfield: Perhaps his most impressive trait, which is saying something. Gets to the second level quickly and consistently erases linebackers from the play. Doesn't waste his energy with pancake blocks, but instead seals off the defender completely, assuring that his assignment isn't in position to impact the ball-carrier.

Zeitler or Silatolu over Osemele would be the other very good option here as mentioned above for LG. Osemele could be very good at the RG or RT spot.

I still think they can't wait past the 2nd round if they want a bonafide starter however.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Have a look of this video when Glenn is playing LG.

He pulls on the 1st play and looks adequate, but arrives tall and bends as the waist to make the block. That gets it done in college, but will not in the NFL. He's a great athlete for a big man, but I really question if he is good enough of a knee bender to have good pad level at guard in the NFL.

I like him a lot, but I think only his pro day workouts and any private workouts will show NFL teams if he has the physicial tools to be a solid guard, especially one that can pull and make his block, or if he is just going to be a massive RT like Phil Loadholt.

He pulls a few other times in the video and even gets to 2nd level at times well, but always arrives rather upright. I still think he will be gone before #24, but think teams that want a dominant RT will take him.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,275 Times in 1,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Osemele isnt that athletic to be a guy that pulls well. More of an inline mauler and a guy that could also play RT. Glenn also doesnt look to be a guy that pulls well and isnt a natural knee bender.

I think a guy like Zeitler is a more athletic guard and has better pad level. Same with Philip Blake from Baylor, or Silatolu, Brandon Brooks, etc. The guard class is pretty deep this year.
sure the class may be deep, if we were picking top half that would great. but where we sit it may not help. i mean the guys figured to go in the first (decasto, glenn ) may be all gone by pick 20..... the second rd guys (Osemele, Zeitler) gone by pick 45... etc...etc...
before you know it your reaching for a guy half a round early just to fill the need.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
sure the class may be deep, if we were picking top half that would great. but where we sit it may not help. i mean the guys figured to go in the first (decasto, glenn ) may be all gone by pick 20..... the second rd guys (Osemele, Zeitler) gone by pick 45... etc...etc...
before you know it your reaching for a guy half a round early just to fill the need.
Yeah, its what happened 2 yrs ago right. There was a run on guards and we traded down in the 2nd.

I just think we have several holes to fill at NT, ILB, OG, OT.... If Glenn, DeCastro, Hightower are gone, we can either trade back and get an OG of value, or take the best ILB or NT on the board.

I think if we are set on taking an OG, then Zeitler may be the guy at 24, or we trade back and get him at say 32. Everybody is hyping on DeCastro and Glenn, but I think Zeitler is a top 40 talent that can go at the bottom of the 1st.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I think Brandon Brooks may be gotten in round 3.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

I'm just hoping we come out of this draft wit to quality OL early...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote