Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Keep Wallace or Let him Walk for the draft pick?
Keep Him and Pay the money 17 51.52%
Hope someone pays him and give me the draft pick 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #101
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464
Default Re: Wallace or First round pick?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
It all depends. I wouldnt pay him 10 million a year. No way. Im praying we resign him for around 7 million

So you would be on the let him walk and get a draft pick side??? look I would go ahead and take him back at the 7 mil price but.. its not gonna happen.. the guy is gonna get at least 9 and prob more.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #102
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001

I would definitely take the 1st round pick over signing Wallace to a large deal. Like I said in a post a couple of days ago, this team needs to improve in e red zone.

We need to upgrade the offensive line. Years ago we had a better offense without Wallace because we had a dominant offensive line. Sure, Wallace stretches the field but I don't want him to pay what he would command when we can get a 1st round pick and use that money better. We can't keep every player we want, and we already have a very deep receiving corps.

Colbert and the front office hardly ever miss with their 1st round selections. Giving that group another pick excites me more than keeping Wallace
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #103
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Getting a extra first rounder now might be better then losing him anyway after next season for next to nothing but a compensatory pick.

Sanders ability to start all 16 games a season is very tenuous at best. Stress fractures in both feet this early in his career could cut short his career. If he is injured for a period of games you would have Brown and Cotchery. They will need to build that corp up again and get 4-6 deep through the draft as well. this is a great year for receivers in the draft.

Here's hoping New England and San Francisco get a high priced FA WR signed early eliminating them from considering Wallace. Hope Chicago totally bombs out on getting a FA WR to play there and desperate and also thinking there is no guarantee to get Michael Floyd in the draft they give the Steelers their #19 pick. At that position we have a real good shot of being in range of Decastro, Kuechly, or I believe a superior receiver to Wallace, Michael Floyd.

Here's hoping for the #1 pick as long as it's not New England or Baltimore.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #104
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_MINUTES View Post
So you would be on the let him walk and get a draft pick side??? look I would go ahead and take him back at the 7 mil price but.. its not gonna happen.. the guy is gonna get at least 9 and prob more.
i would take Wallace over a 1st round pick. yes i would, in a second. i 1st round pick is a gamble. there are not any Andre Johnson's or Megatron's in the draft so say we pick a WR because we will need one, i doubt he will be as good as Wallace. regardless of who we pick its a gamble. wallace is a sure thing and he is still getting better.

with that said i would not pay wallace 10+ million a year. not a chance. if he wants that then i would take the 1st. there are only 3 WR's in the NFL worth 10+ million and Wallace isnt one of them

now say nobody offers wallace a contract and we dont get the 1st round pick for him then what happens next year? we lose him and gain nothing. we have to many other players to sign and will be over the cap once again so we couldnt franchise him

what i really want is to sign Wallace to a long contract for around 7 million a year. if that cant happen because he wants top 5 money then we may as well get something for him while we can
Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #105
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

We do not have a deep WR corps with Wallace gone. Where does that come from? If Sanders cannot play (seems to be injury prone) or something happens to Brown that means that Cotchery is the #2 (if he is re-signed). He is ok but then there is no one behind him. Where people come up with this deep WR corps I have no idea. Hopefully Haley will use the TE more. If Heath is kept in as a blocking TE like he has been in the past, then our receiver corps is very thin without Wallace. We would have to spend a draft pick on at least one WR which uses the extra draft pick we would gain. I think he needs to be signed.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #106
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301

I'd rather we keep Wallace w/o breaking the bank.
Id still rather have Wallace than a late 1st round pick.
Also, no guarantee a Hightower even starts this year based on the past LeBeau history of rookies.
If a team is willing to give him a boatload of $$$$$ and give up a mid to low round 1st for him then at least we tried......
If we lose Wallace for the 30th pick, Id be pissed
Old 03-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #107
stiller39
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4832

Make him a fair market offer.... don't give away the farm to sign him. SF, Buffalo, New England will probably throw money at him... let em. A 7-9 million offer with a long term contract with a perrenial winning, class act, franchise is a good deal for him... If he decides its all about the money... see ya later honey.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #108
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464

I would like to have some of the deals you guys are throwing out but thats not on the table... bottom line on this post is simple... would you pay 10 mil and keep wallace or let him walk for the first rounder...

I would give anyting to see someone sign him and us get the draft pick... to the ones saying we cant replace him with another first rounder.... remember he was a third rounder.. so was brown... If we can get another first rounder and pick up another Receiver in the 3rd then Im fine with Brown Sanders Crochery, rookie and Millier going out in routes... We need O line and ILB and NT... the one area we have good talent for sure in is at the WR...
Old 03-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #109
Steel95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20292

First of all, besides Blackmon, there really isn't a receiver worth taking in the 1st round of the draft. Yes, teams probably have already become enamored with Stephen Hill's performance at the combine, some1 will bite and select him with their #1 draft choice. Actually, I hope a lot of teams make a dumb choice by selecting WR's in the first round in April. Bottom line is this, based off what most experts have said, WR is the hardest transition from College to the NFL to adapt to.

Second, I try and do everything within reason to resign Mike Wallace. Let me say again, within reason. Trust me on this one, the Steelers will never get into a bidding War with any other team just to resign him. From what I've read thus far, it looks as though the price to keep him will be arounf $6-7M for 5yrs. If Wallace and his agent think they are going to break the bank, see ya! He isn't going to get $9-10M a yr to stay their Pittsburgh.

Yes, Wallace speed was definitely a contributing factor to Brown getting open underneath because Wallace drew double coverage majority of the time. But Brown and Sanders both run better routes, more disciplined, and both have better hands than Mike Wallace. And lets not forget, what is going to happen next yr when Brown and Sanders becomes RFA'S? The WR Corps isn't all that deep in this years draft.

Here's my perception; I think the Steelers are sitting back and hoping that a team bites on Wallace; they will then take that additional 1st round pick and address the DL/OL or ILB/OL or DL/ILB. Take a Guard in the 2nd if they go with DL/ILB in the 1st; address the WR position either through FA and select a WR in the 3rd or 4th round. Of course none of us are experts, we're just loyal Steeler Fans.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #110
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I'm not really hoping someone takes him, but we did the right thing. We covered ourselves well if someone does take him away. It would likely be a late pick. I'd be up for signing someone like Plex for a couple mil for a couple years. He would help in the red zone. Brown and Sanders, with Cotchery and Plex would work for me. I don't really want Hines back, but if we do lose Wallace we could get him back easily for minimum.
Closed Thread