Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

View Poll Results: Keep Wallace or Let him Walk for the draft pick?
Keep Him and Pay the money 17 51.52%
Hope someone pays him and give me the draft pick 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #201
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,756 Posts
Default Re: Market for Wallace being set

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
it was a big day of "overpayment". Washington in particular is just plain foolish, i don't know if i've ever seen a professional team run so poorly. They shouldn't be "setting" any market for anybody.
It appears as teams didn't want to give up that 1st rounder as Wallace has been pretty much completely ignored thus far.
There is no rush to bid for a RFA unlike signing an unrestricted FA - now that the (inflated) market rate has been set Wallace and potential bidders (pretty much down to the 49ers now that they lost a receiver and Patriots - i cannot imagine Mike Brown will pay those prices to bring Walace to the Bengals) see what a long term deal is worth.

Steelers will not be able to match what Wallace will take as a long term deal this year - the question is whether paying that amount of $$ and a first round pick for what it will cost to sign Wallace is worth it.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #202
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Just like the shark in Jaws. The New England Patriots are waiting very quietly with no news of visits by Brandon Lloyd or anyone else.

What are they up to?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #203
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

I believe Wallace talks start at 10 mil per year period. And we know the Steelers aren't going anywhere near that, so say goodbye to Mike Wallace if not this year then next year for sure. If Santonio Holmes makes 10 mil per then Wallace is going to want at least that. Santonio still hasn't made a probowl.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #204
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Default Re: Bucs go stupid and hurt the steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
He is not getting 11 million per year. He is only guaranteed 26 million. I wish the NFL would just put the money guaranteed instead of the number that will never be fulfilled. It is a 5 year 26 million dollar contract. That's 5.1 million guaranteed a year. The Steelers could pay Wallace that in a heart beat.
I assure you when Vincent Jackson's playing careeer is over he will not have averaged 5.5 mil per year.

Bus Cook's phone message in regards to Mike Wallace.
Want to talk contract with Mike Wallace? Don't even bother us if your not willing to start at 10 mil per year.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #205
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean95m View Post
As Mike Tomlin stated "one trick pony" plus he is soft over the middle and drops too many balls to be compared to Rice. I'll take the 2nd first round pick and address O & D line in the first round. I think we have a replacement for Farrior in Sylvester, the guy can hit shit!
He doesn't drop many passes at all. I think most Steeler fans have short term memory.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #206
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
He doesn't drop many passes at all. I think most Steeler fans have short term memory.
I don't remember many drops from Mike Wallace at all . In fact the only one I can recall is the drop in the super bowl on 4th down that ended the game. He really doesn't drop many.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #207
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Didn't Pierre Garçon get 8 mil a yr contract?
yep and meachem, reggie wayne, and SF josh wilson are all new signees of the 6 million $$$ club.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #208
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

i believe in the shark theory. some people say the patriots would NEVER give up a first AND pay 2 wr's top money. but then again, people were certain the patriots would bring in brandon lloyd by now. if nothing else, the patriots are gonna make wallace an offer to atleast force us to match and strap us with the cap hit. we arent getting wallace for 2.7 mil this year. aint gonna happen.

unfortunately (fortunately for us, i guess if we wanna keep wallace for another year) teams only seem to go stupid when trading for other teams.

seattle gave up a first for deion branch. cowboys gave up 2 firsts for joey galloway. cowboys also gave up a ransom for joey galloway. tampa bay gave up 2 firsts for keyshawn johnson.

we practically had to give away sb mvp santonio holmes (who we traded a significant amount to move up in the draft to get) and it appears we cant even get teams to sniff wallace.

people even laughed at the patriots trading a 2nd round pick for wes welker and now they look golden. then again, the patriots can do no wrong and can pretty much trade any player they want for what ever ransom they want.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #209
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,289 Times in 651 Posts

Big money AND a first round pick. Ill believe it when I see it.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #210
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,756 Posts

We have a new definition for the top end of the market

The Detroit Lions signed star receiver Calvin Johnson to a seven-year extension Wednesday, the team announced on its Twitter account.

An NFL source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the contract is worth $132 million and includes $60 million guaranteed. Johnson's contract is the richest deal ever for an NFL wide receiver, exceeding the $120 million deal Larry Fitzgerald signed with the Arizona Cardinals last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...-detroit-lions

I cannot guess what the market rate will be ($35 million per?) when the next round of contracts for franchise level QBs are negotiated
Closed Thread