Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

View Poll Results: Keep Wallace or Let him Walk for the draft pick?
Keep Him and Pay the money 17 51.52%
Hope someone pays him and give me the draft pick 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #281
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Market for Wallace being set

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
omg. These teams are killing themselves by throwing around that much money. Next thing the RB's, the LB's, hell, everybody is going to want that same money. Before you know it, it will be teams with 2 or 3 stars and a bunch of has-beens and never-will-be's.
Thats why they never get anywhere, those teams think one man can make the difference

Might as well dress em in skirts!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #282
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Market for Wallace being set

Those teams are missing the core. Hence Fitzgerald, you cant pay a WR 20million and have shit around him. They were paying him 5mill and went to the SB. Ego inflates, pay him big, rest of the team sucks.

You can pay a WR 10million and have a supporting cast if the money is managed. Right now the steelers dough hasnt been managed. Its been reactive not proactive. It will take a couple years to square things out and hopefully the draft goes well from the past 2 years and this year, as we certainly cant sign FA's

If the Steelers think they will be the only team in the NFL to be a rushing team and win, they are mightly mistaking. Those days are long gone.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #283
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts
Default Re: Good news, bad news about Wallace

Good SI.com article breaks it down -

The other reason behind Pittsburgh holding steady is that, while the rash of free-agent WR signings could push teams in Wallace’s direction, the flip side of it is that the market for a potential long-term deal with Wallace is being set. DeSean Jackson’s contract (five years, $51 million with $15 million guaranteed) might be a starting point for what’s fair for Wallace; he’s outproduced Jackson over the past two seasons.

The breakdown of the Jackson contract, especially, could play to Pittsburgh’s advantage.

Jackson’s 2012 cap hit will only be in the neighborhood of $3 million, as he’ll work off a $750,000 base salary plus a signing bonus. The remainder of that deal stretches out over the four following seasons and gives the Eagles a fairly cost-effective out after 2013.

Wallace would be guaranteed $2.7 million next season under the first-round tender, so a slight bump for 2012 plus a longer-term solution structured similarly to Jackson’s might be possible, even with Pittsburgh’s stifled cap situation....

That said, this story is a lot closer to the beginning than the end. After seeing the run on free-agent wide receivers Tuesday and Wednesday, it seems unlikely that Wallace simply slides by as a restricted free agent without a nibble from another team or a long-term extension from his own.

Who will blink first?

Pittsburgh seems comfortable no matter the answer.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/03/15/mike-wa...r_a2&eref=sihp
Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #284
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,157 Times in 456 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yeah, I am actually kind of hoping that somebody does offer Wallace a contract this year and we get a 1st round pick for him. Steelers not likely to pay him $11million a year to play WR, so he will not be with the team in 2013.
that could be good for us this year. this year will be his showcase year. he going to want to make the best of it and demand a lot of cash next year.......so heres to him being this years superbowl MVP
Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #285
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Some can read and some cant... Its not about paying him 11mill freaking dollars in 1 freaking year.

Steelers don't need to blink at all, if no one signs him to an offer sheet, Wallace is screwed like a ho on the corner downtown.

Its about looking at the big picture and how long Wallace can be here UNDER MARKET VALUE. That is 3 years. 1 RFA year and 2 Tagged years.

Its not about paying him 11million for 1 year. Its about looking at the big picture of the next 3 years, the avg of the 3 years is roughly 8million and he gets the larger contracts when we have cap space.

Wallace gets out of RFA and he has to take the tender 2.7million. To me at this point I take the savings there, and sign Brown long term, giving Brown more money this year and next year, starts to provide relief over a 5-6 year deal for him. (smart way to do it, not so much the steeler way). Now you say, oh boy Wallace is going to be pissed right? Right, but I bet he has already turned down Steelers offers. So he gambled and crapped out don't listen to your idiot agent and your posse, they will steer you wrong 9 out of 10 times.. We secured Brown long term, than use the tags on Wallace. Both are kept togther at least 3 years and Browns money is reasonable as it was spread out over 2 earlier years. With that being said, you should be able to get Brown now at 5/30 or 6/36. Where as the next 2 years the most he will get is 3.3mill? Perfect timing for him to secure his future contract.

Thats how you keep both, in effect Wallace will be paying Brown this year. Thanks Mike!

Of course watch tomorrow someone signs him to an offer sheet and all this means squat, lol
Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #286
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,555 Times in 3,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

Pittsburgh seems comfortable no matter the answer.[/I]

http://nfl.si.com/2012/03/15/mike-wa...r_a2&eref=sihp
the positive spin for the 1st time that i can really remember is that this "dilemma" really seems like a win-win situation for the steelers.

(dumping holmes and scoring on brown was pure luck).
Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #287
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASTEELER View Post
that could be good for us this year. this year will be his showcase year. he going to want to make the best of it and demand a lot of cash next year.......so heres to him being this years superbowl MVP
or he sulks like DeSean Jackson did last year. I wonder if the Bengals take a shot at him since they have 2 1st round picks?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #288
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Some can read and some cant... Its not about paying him 11mill freaking dollars in 1 freaking year.

Steelers don't need to blink at all, if no one signs him to an offer sheet, Wallace is screwed like a ho on the corner downtown.

Its about looking at the big picture and how long Wallace can be here UNDER MARKET VALUE. That is 3 years. 1 RFA year and 2 Tagged years.

Its not about paying him 11million for 1 year. Its about looking at the big picture of the next 3 years, the avg of the 3 years is roughly 8million and he gets the larger contracts when we have cap space.

Wallace gets out of RFA and he has to take the tender 2.7million. To me at this point I take the savings there, and sign Brown long term, giving Brown more money this year and next year, starts to provide relief over a 5-6 year deal for him. (smart way to do it, not so much the steeler way). Now you say, oh boy Wallace is going to be pissed right? Right, but I bet he has already turned down Steelers offers. So he gambled and crapped out don't listen to your idiot agent and your posse, they will steer you wrong 9 out of 10 times.. We secured Brown long term, than use the tags on Wallace. Both are kept togther at least 3 years and Browns money is reasonable as it was spread out over 2 earlier years. With that being said, you should be able to get Brown now at 5/30 or 6/36. Where as the next 2 years the most he will get is 3.3mill? Perfect timing for him to secure his future contract.

Thats how you keep both, in effect Wallace will be paying Brown this year. Thanks Mike!

Of course watch tomorrow someone signs him to an offer sheet and all this means squat, lol
You are right. No one signs Wallace this year and they do not work out a deal he plays for the 2.7 million(is this correct amount) this year and Steelers could franchise him next which should be in the range of 10-11.5 million, and once again if no deal in place they could franchise him once more at around 11-12 million the next year. lets see that is a three year deal around 24-26 million. A good contract but no guaranteed future money or bonuses. That will be the hang up to a long term deal.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #289
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

They dont need to sign him long term. He screws himself by trying to get the big bucks. Instead he has to keep dancing for the paycheck.

Right now his speed is the uhge key to Mike Wallaces value. You can't teach speed and he has WR talent. But where will he be in 3 years? I rather roll the dice with my plan, we dont risk alot. We retain Wallace based on the Players rfa and tag system and we rework Brown with Wallaces money. Wallace would have no choice and no one will sign him with the Franchise Tag so we run zero risk of losing him, and he still won't hold out as he hasn't made the big bucks to leverage it against us.

Where do we lose there?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #290
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 20464
Default Re: Wallace or First round pick?????

so it was 50 50 on keeping Wallace or not... Id say thats about right cause I keep going back n forth myself about it... One min I want to see what Todd H can do with this kind of Talent.. then next min I dont want to spend the money and would rather have a big time NT or ILB in his place... oh well like I said poll results seem to be spot on...50 50
Closed Thread