Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Keep Wallace or Let him Walk for the draft pick?
Keep Him and Pay the money 17 51.52%
Hope someone pays him and give me the draft pick 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #481
Acerinox
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15579
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Rooney: Steelers still eyeing long-term deal with Wallace

I think a lot of folks are missing the point.

Wallace is saying - if I'm going to leave the Steelers now, I need to do it for a BOAT load of money - because you're not just hiring me, you're pulling me away from my team where I want to be.
Compensation.
I would WANT Wallace to say these things. If he said "Ah hell I'll take top 20 salary just to get mah murnay" - that would say disloyal to me.
There's no way he's going to ask the Steelers for this. He's asking a lot. But not this.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #482
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

We were lucky this year because of the amount of FA Wide receivers available. If it was a normal year where there is just average guys out there a desperate team would have given up a #1 for him. We will never know if I'm right, but common sense or in the case of owners, common despair would prevail. Look how many teams signed WRs so far. Imagine if those teams had no options.

Wallace's best bet to get close to Larry F money is to be a UFA around 2014 when the cap will be booming. So he may be willing to take a short term deal with any team including the Steelers right now. But most teams won't give a #1 pick for a 3 year deal. Facing the idea of playing for Pittsburgh this year and next under the Franchise tag for around 13 million total he may take a deal with them for say 3 years 24 million so he can get some up front money this year. I don't even know if the Steelers would sign him for 8 mil per though.

My thought is the best choice is still have him play this year for the RFA tender. Sign Antonio Brown this summer to a modest 5-6 mil per year deal for 5 years. Franchise Wallace next year. Then decide if you are going to franchise him in 2014 or let him walk. By then Wallace will have proven what he is as a WR or where he is going.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #483
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

I've heard all the scenarios so far. Fans, analysts, etc. Here's what my gut instinct says will happen.

1. No one else will sign him this year
2. He will NOT hold out, as some have suggested.
3. He'll play out this year with the Steelers and put forth a better effort
4. Barring injury, he'll sign with another team NEXT year
Old 03-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #484
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: The Official Mike Wallace Thread

I firmly believe there's a reasonable shot that he signs a long-term deal with the Steelers between now and the regular season.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #485
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,605 Times in 1,625 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I firmly believe there's a reasonable shot that he signs a long-term deal with the Steelers between now and the regular season.
I have a feeling he does so as well.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #486
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
i said it all along and agree. i was saying it when half of the board was praying the Pats would grab him
Old 03-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #487
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I still think he's gone soon. All the "B" teams are possibilities: Bengals, Broncos, Bears, Bills, Browns and even the Buccaneers. They all have the cap space for it. I'd include the Redskins, but I'm not sure they can sign a tendered player when they no longer own their natural 1st round pick.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #488
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Madden: Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler

Madden: Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler
http://www.timesonline.com/columnist...ec73d2870.html
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Mark Madden Times Sports Correspondent | 8 comments

I don't worship at the altar of Hines Ward. I think he's a self-serving phony. One person when the microphone is on, another when it's off.

But I'll say this for Ward: He knew how to be a Steeler. He knew the value of the brand, of the logo, and how it added to everything he did. Ward knew the standard, and usually lived up to it. He was a Steeler.

Mike Wallace, not so much.

Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler. He doesn't want to earn, he wants to get paid.

If Ward was a big influence on the Steelers' youthful receivers -- the "Young Money Crew" -- it's not evident with Wallace, who disappeared during the second half of last season. Wallace didn't top 100 yards worth of catches in a game after week 7, falling short of 60 yards five times. He had three catches for 26 yards in the playoff loss at Denver.

Wallace is a restricted free agent, tied to the Steelers by a first-round tender worth $2.7 million in 2012. The Steelers can match any offer. If they decline, they get a first-round pick as compensation.

Wallace will be a Steeler next year. He guaranteed that by seeking Larry Fitzgerald money. Wallace wants $15 million per year. No team will pay near that, let alone surrender a first-round pick on top of it.

Wallace isn't Fitzgerald. Wallace has speed. Fitzgerald has everything.

Some say Wallace had a bad second half of the season because he was so tightly covered, tying that theory to Antonio Brown's increased numbers. That begs the question: Is a mere decoy worth big loot?

Wallace will get big loot next off-season. Barring a franchise tag, Wallace's free agency becomes unrestricted. He still won't get Fitzgerald money, but he might get Vincent Jackson money: five years, $55.55 million. Dan Rooney would sooner put that kind of dough through a paper shredder than give it to someone who touches the ball four or five times per game.

With Wallace a lame duck, what level of exertion can be expected from him this coming season? Depends how smart he is. With unrestricted free agency pending, every catch hikes future paychecks. Effort is an investment in himself, not the Steelers.

Wallace, sadly, seems to personify a new breed of Steeler. He hasn't won anything, yet displays inflated ego and arrogance.

Put Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert in that group. Within minutes of the playoff loss at Denver, each was on Twitter to profanely urge followers to listen to a certain rapper. F-bombs, N-words, etc.

When Pouncey was criticized, he called detractors "losers" and said, "U wish u had my life." No, I don't. Not if your brain comes with it.

The Steelers should ban players from Twitter. Some do a nice job with it. Many don't. At any rate, what's the upside?

When Wallace's money demands got questioned, he tweeted, "I love when haters hate." What a great all-purpose defense. Jerry Sandusky should try it.

The Steelers cut Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith. They won't be missed as players. Ward and Farrior are washed up, Smith too brittle.

But considering the antics and attitudes of those left behind, the Steelers should definitely worry about a leadership void.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).
Old 03-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #489
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,621 Times in 919 Posts
Default Re: Madden: Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler

Another brilliant Madden snoozer......

Frankly, I don't worship at the alter of any man. As for our young money crew, and I'll add Pouncey and Gillbert to this list, these guys are going to be the core of this team going forward. Deal with it. They may be brash, lacking in terms of social , & public relation skills, but those demerits are more than ofset by talent.

Where has Madden been anyway. This sort of thing has been going on since the gladiators of Rome.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #490
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Madden: Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler

but he does have a point....

I've been saying this all along and yet...there are people and fans around with their heads completely stuck in the sand saying "oh, yeah, well, ya know, he wants to be a Steeler...", blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, and foolish stuff like that. He personifies today's money hungry athlete and will absolutely go elsewhere. The arrogance is there too. And since Pouncey was mentioned, I will say this. Madden's not wrong. I like his play, but the arrogant SOB is injured seemingly more than he plays.

Look what big contracts get you. We gave Ben, Troy, Harrison, and Timmons the house now we can barely afford 5-stringers at this point.

Wallace will play here this year. Barring a big-time injury, he will sign with someone else next off-season. Thats the way this thing will play out, just watch. I was hoping we'd resign him, but the more i look at the situation, the more i say let him go.
Closed Thread