Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Keep Wallace or Let him Walk for the draft pick?
Keep Him and Pay the money 17 51.52%
Hope someone pays him and give me the draft pick 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #41
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers canít overpay Wallace

The Steel Mill
News and updates about the Pittsburgh Steelers

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...erpay-wallace/

Steelers canít overpay Wallace

March 7th, 2012

When the Steelers decided not to put the franchise tag on restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace, they knowingly left a window open for the most dynamic receiver on the roster to sign somewhere else.

It is a chance they had to take.

And now, overpaying to keep him is a chance they cannot afford to take.

The Steelers spent the better part of the last month trying to get within the ballpark of the projected 2012 salary cap, and did a tremendous job of it.

They restructured contracts of five players and released six others including some of the all-time Steelers greats (James Farrior, Hines Ward, Aaron Smith) at their positions to knock a total of $40 million off of their salary cap.

Even with that, the Steelers are projected to be anywhere between $4 million to $8 million under the cap depending on the final salary cap number expected to be released any day now Ė nowhere near enough to match a big-time off to Wallace.

Now, there is still a lot of fat on the bone when it comes to the Steelers current top 51 players who count against the salary cap.

Jonathan Scott and Will Allen wonít contribute much at all during the upcoming season and are expendable. Their releases would save approximately $4 million more.

The Rooneys can also write big checks to James Harrison and Troy Polamalu to lower their cap number with restructures like they already did with Ben Roethlisberger, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Ike Taylor and Willie Colon that lanced nearly $26 million off the cap.

But if you donít have to restructure, you shouldnít. Thatís just good business.

Even so, the reality of it all is that it wonít take much for a team like San Francisco to put the Steelers in an uncomfortable position on Tuesday when teams are allowed to offer restricted free agents contracts.

San Francisco is in the neighborhood of $23 million under the cap with quarterback Alex Smith still needed to be locked up. Even so, they would have plenty of money to offer Wallace if they chose to go that route instead of pursuing a guy like Vincent Jackson, who wouldnít cost the 49ers a draft pick if they sign him.

Still, if the 49ers front load a contract that would give Wallace in the neighborhood of a $10 million cap hit for the upcoming year (the Steelers must match any deal as it is written), the Steelers wouldnít be able to do much unless they purge a much more than they would feel comfortable doing.

There will be temptations to do so, but they couldnít, shouldnít and wouldnít.

Wallace is extremely valuable to the offense in both the run and pass game, but not valuable enough to tamper with the integrity of the current roster that is still has a legitimate chance at a Super Bowl.

A first-round pick and an extra $10 million in your front pocket is much more enticing having Wallace catch a handful of 60-yard touchdowns next year.

Theyíve replaces Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress before so you would think they feel the same way about Wallace.

However, the pros greatly outweigh the cons for keeping Wallace.

Pros: His speed makes the opposition game plan for him; he opens up space underneath for Antonio Brown; heís 25; the Steelers really donít have anybody on their current roster that can do what he does; his presence on the field helps the run game; and the Steelers would get a first-round pick if he leaves.

Cons: It could cost them money they donít have.

And really, isnít money the bottom line to this entire thing?

The Steelers want Wallace, but canít afford to overpay him.

Wallace wants to stay with the Steelers but canít turn down an opportunity at a big pay day somewhere else.

If some other team wants Wallace bad enough, there will nothing the Steelers can do about it, or want to do about it.

That just might not be a bad thing.

Ė Mark Kaboly
Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #42
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky
Default Re: Steelers canít overpay Wallace

I don't think Pitt will over pay for great speed.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #43
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

I think there is a point where the FO would let Wallace go. There is absolutely no reason to break the bank over the guy. Sure he has speed and he is a valuable part of the team but I think Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery would do a damn fine job with a draft pick as the number 4 guy.

I like Wallace but honestly I think Ben tried holding on to the ball too long looking for the deep stuff when dinking and dunking his way down the field would have done a lot better. If you need proof all you need to do is look at the first half of the Patriots, Seahawks, Titans, games as proof. Getting the ball out of his hands quickly using the run game and PA and hitting Miller worked like wildfire. When it was working someone who is no longer with the organization would seem to get stupid and move away from it and start looking to go deep...

Wallace is a great receiver but he just isn't worth breaking the bank over.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #44
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

^^^^^

I agree... Towards the second half of the season they were forcing the ball to Wallace 4+ times a game trying to hit the homerun. Most the balls were under/over thrown and rarely connected. I think to get the most out of Wallace I say pound the ball with redman hit the underneath routes and then throw it deep to Wallace on play action WHEN/IF HE'S OPEN.

Running 50 yards a game plus going deep to Wallace every other possession ain't gonna pull the safeties in to set up the big plays. Hopefully Haley turns things around and our offense really takes off.
My biggest hope with or w/out Wallace is that we can get the redzone offense firing.

It seemed to me like we had a bigger Chance of getting a td when we were lined up at the 30-40 yard line compared to when we were at the 20-1 yard line.

I'm hoping/expecting more out of I. Redman and H. Miller this season than anyone else.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #45
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Worst case, steelers get another first rounder. You can always find a reciever, cant find 2 first rounders in the same draft.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #46
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Cap strapping the franchise with Wallace would hurt more than losing him in the long run.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #47
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Cap strapping the franchise with Wallace would hurt more than losing him in the long run.
Exactly!! As much as I like Wallace, if he were to leave because someone overpays for him, I think we are better off. Maybe not this season but for the next few after that.. 2 1st round picks would be of benefit and allow us to re sign others and keep them Steelers, although Brown won't come cheap either, next season.
With Bowe being franchised and the Bills over paying for that clown Johnson, Wallace may have been priced right out of our ballbark.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #48
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

What I have been saying all along, just been preparing myself for this. It is time for others to face the reality that this is a real possibility.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #49
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

The reality is that other teams also likely don't want to overpay Wallace AND give up their first round pick.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #50
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
The reality is that other teams also likely don't want to overpay Wallace AND give up their first round pick.
I'm beginning to believe that more and more. Although the Raiders gave up a #1 and #2 for Carson Palmer a guy who was horrible his last year in Cincy.

Wallace's post season career may scare some teams off as well.

3 rec 26 yards Denver

3 rec 20 yards Baltimore
1 rec 6 yards NY Jets
9 rec 89 yards G.B. Super Bowl* 9.9 ypc
*ran the wrong route and dropped pass on crucial 4th down on final drive.
Closed Thread