Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

View Poll Results: Keep Wallace or Let him Walk for the draft pick?
Keep Him and Pay the money 17 51.52%
Hope someone pays him and give me the draft pick 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #501
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Madden: Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
You're probably right, but I do have a problem with Wallace leaving. We have had a revolving door at the WR position for over ten years now (excluding HInes) and that's not such a good thing. We're gonna have to pony up some serious cash for that position much sooner than later.

Some want to wait and pay Brown, whom I don't think is as good as Wallace nor would he demand that the oposing D pay special attention to him. Don't get me wrong, I like Brown but his success is a direct by product of Wallace's being on the same side of the ball.

sorry...didn't clarify that....what i don't have a problem with is Wallace going and signing a big contract (if he can get it).
Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #502
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk
Default Why does nobody want to sign Mike Wallace?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...n-mike-wallace

Quote:
Why does nobody want to sign Mike Wallace?

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com

The NFL Annual Meeting wrapped up Wednesday, and there wasn't a hint of a rumor regarding Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace. That surely pleases Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who isn't thinking about what would happen if another team signed Wallace.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it -- if we come to it," Tomlin said.

At this stage, there is no indication that any team will sign Wallace to an offer sheet. Here are the best reasons we can come up with:

It's too early

Teams have until April 20 to sign restricted free agents to an offer sheet. Unrestricted free agents get the most attention early in the process, and teams then start looking closer at restricted players. Perhaps a team is out there biding its time.

He's too expensive

There have been reports Wallace wants more than $100 million in a contract. He wants Larry Fitzgerald money. If that's true, the cost of the contract, plus a first-round draft pick, could make him too expensive.

He's not versatile

Wallace doesn't fit every offense. He doesn't go over the middle or help you on special teams like DeSean Jackson. There is some question about his ability to transfer to many offensive systems. Antonio Brown is the far more versatile receiver. Wallace, you could argue, is a one-trick pony. Of course, it's a pretty nifty trick.

The logical teams don't need him

The San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots were rumored to be two possible fits for Wallace, but both teams signed multiple free-agent wide receivers and no longer appear to have a need. The Chicago Bears traded for Brandon Marshall. The Jacksonville Jaguars pick too high. The Cincinnati Bengals have two first-round picks, but perhaps they don't see A.J. Green and Wallace fitting together on the field. Or under the salary cap.

Where there's no smoke, there's probably a lack of fire. We think Wallace would be well worth a mid-to-late first-round pick and a handsome contract, but it looks unlikely to happen. That's exactly what Tomlin expects.

"Business will take care of itself, but Mike will report and be the guy that he's always been in my mind, and that's a guy that has a desire to be the best and a guy that's willing to work daily to be the best," Tomlin said Tuesday.

For at least one more year, it appears Wallace will be working in Pittsburgh.
Thanks for giving away that little secret there, ya arsehole! Now Brown is going to be 50x hotter than Wallace! Really though, I'm glad this is starting to become common knowledge.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #503
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: The Official Mike Wallace Thread

I think that Wallace and his agent thought there would be some kind of frenzy over him instead of crickets chirping. Must be frustrating.
He'll play here this year...leave the next.

And i agree...Brown will end up being a much hotter commodity and he seems like a much nicer guy to boot.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #504
lipps83
Head Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
I think that Wallace and his agent thought there would be some kind of frenzy over him instead of crickets chirping. Must be frustrating.
He'll play here this year...leave the next.

And i agree...Brown will end up being a much hotter commodity and he seems like a much nicer guy to boot.
I agree, I just wish they would sign him to a long term deal now instead of waiting. If you have a good player, do everything you can to keep them.

I think the only people that aren't starting to see Wallace for what he is is him and his agent. He is a good player, but IMO way, way, way overrated.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #505
Steel Peon
Starter

Just so I'm straight on this, and to bust balls a bit, I'm to understand that EVERYTHING Mike Wallace related is to be posted in this thread, and not a new one? So, for example, if Wallace dies, you can't start a "Mike Wallace dies" thread because you should just add that to the official thread?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #506
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,417 Times in 2,369 Posts

If he were to kill over I'm sure that would deserve it's own thread. But the same old guessing, speculating non new movement news can stay in here instead of having over 100 different threads clogging up the forum on basically the same thing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #507
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Yes. Let's be honest here: how many people are posting threads about Wallace's childhood, or his personal gumbo recipe? No one. Almost every single post is about how much it would suck to lose him (those go here) or what we should do with the extra first-rounder (those go in the War Room.)

This isn't rocket science. And no one is trying to silence anyone. To the contrary, you're much more likely to have your opinions heard in this thread at the top of the list than in your own redundant thread that will quickly be pushed down and off the page.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #508
Steel Peon
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
you're much more likely to have your opinions heard in this thread at the top of the list than in your own redundant thread that will quickly be pushed down and off the page.
I'll just start by stating that I like you, and enjoy posting alongside you.......so, there you have it. But man, this is not a wiki, and there are not dedicated links to each and every player, and/or aspect of Steelers science/status. This is a forum.......something that intrinsically revolves around current events and hot rumors, aka, the latest videos and articles from the God holy mother of football........nfl.com. And, if nfl.com says it, after tons of poasters here preach it, then it's pretty satisfying to those of the same mindset to see their thoughts in print. Which leads me to say, believe it or not, I'd rather come here and discuss these subjects that the NFL has decided to highlight, and discuss whether or not they consist of valid points, with you people "my fellow Steeler fans," RATHER than "converse" with the piss ant drool mongers that post on nfl.com.......can anyone fault me?

But that being said, headlines are what grab me (and apparently, a lot of other people), and I really appreciate not having to sift through "official" threads, like this one, that are up to 51 pages long, and that's where we're at. I mean seriously, how many of you guys enter a forum and automatically go to the "official blah blah blah thread," that's going on 50 pages long, and think you're going to get current news? I personally want to discuss the latest news concerning what the head football geeks (of any big sports news organization) think about members of out team. They said the same thing about Arians, and they said the same thing about Mendenhall, so I gotta pay this stuff a little more attention than the usual schlock.

You guys might be tired of hearing about Wallace's status, and might get a bit of overlap and redundancy, but I don't think you're going to diminish the subject by compartmentalizing everything Mike Wallace related into one thread. It really seems kinda dull that way..........no offense really........it's your forum and you can do what you want.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #509
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
I'll just start by stating that I like you, and enjoy posting alongside you.......so, there you have it. But man, this is not a wiki, and there are not dedicated links to each and every player, and/or aspect of Steelers science/status. This is a forum.......something that intrinsically revolves around current events and hot rumors, aka, the latest videos and articles from the God holy mother of football........nfl.com. And, if nfl.com says it, after tons of poasters here preach it, then it's pretty satisfying to those of the same mindset to see their thoughts in print. Which leads me to say, believe it or not, I'd rather come here and discuss these subjects that the NFL has decided to highlight, and discuss whether or not they consist of valid points, with you people "my fellow Steeler fans," RATHER than "converse" with the piss ant drool mongers that post on nfl.com.......can anyone fault me?

But that being said, headlines are what grab me (and apparently, a lot of other people), and I really appreciate not having to sift through "official" threads, like this one, that are up to 51 pages long, and that's where we're at. I mean seriously, how many of you guys enter a forum and automatically go to the "official blah blah blah thread," that's going on 50 pages long, and think you're going to get current news? I personally want to discuss the latest news concerning what the head football geeks (of any big sports news organization) think about members of out team. They said the same thing about Arians, and they said the same thing about Mendenhall, so I gotta pay this stuff a little more attention than the usual schlock.

You guys might be tired of hearing about Wallace's status, and might get a bit of overlap and redundancy, but I don't think you're going to diminish the subject by compartmentalizing everything Mike Wallace related into one thread. It really seems kinda dull that way..........no offense really........it's your forum and you can do what you want.
This!

I also think that this move is nonsensical. individual player threads are counter productive and very difficult to navigate when having discussions. I give the creation of this shit a thrumbs down.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #510
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Antonio Brown: 'No doubt in my mind' Mike Wallace plays for Steelers in '12

Antonio Brown: 'No doubt in my mind' Mike Wallace plays for Steelers in '12
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...steelers-in-12
By Ryan Wilson | NFL Blogger

There is 'no doubt' in Antonio Brown's mind: Mike Wallace will be in Pittsburgh next season. (US PRESSWIRE)

It's been nearly a month since free agency began and restricted free agent Mike Wallace remains a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. There was speculation that a playoff team in desperate need of a wide receiver (the Patriots, 49ers, Ravens and Broncos were often mentioned) would willingly give up a late first-round pick for the right to sign Wallace, one of the league's explosive young talents.

Instead, the Pats signed Brandon Lloyd and have restructured Chad Ochocinco's contract, the 49ers signed Mario Manningham and Randy Moss, the Ravens made it clear at the combine that they likely weren't interested, and the Broncos appear set with their current crop of wideouts.

So what happened? For starters, it's still early. Teams have until April 20 to make Wallace a contract offer. There was no rush to get it done as soon as free agency opened because, in general, teams have other needs to address with unrestricted free agents. Also not helping: Wallace reportedly wants "Larry Fitzgerald money" even though he's nowhere near the player Fitzgerald is. This may have scared some teams off.

During a Friday appearance on NFL Network's Total Access, Antonio Brown, another of Steelers young pass-catchers, sounded confident that Wallace would be back in Pittsburgh in 2012.

"I definitely expect it," he said. "I definitely look forward to him providing me help from the other side, rolling coverages -- he's a great teammate of mine."

Host Andrew Siliciano asked Brown if he was absolutely sure. "No doubt in my mind, he's coming back," Brown said.

The Steelers have stated previously that they'd like to lock up Wallace long term, even after his production dropped during the second half of the 2011 season. Head coach Mike Tomlin was asked about that at last week's annual league meetings in Florida.

"In many instances, teams took him out of the game," Tomlin said of Wallace via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "When you reel off the kind of seven- to eight-game run that he had there to start the season, that's some scary video for defensive coaches in preparations for games. They responded accordingly. But if you have a good football team, it's going to potentially create opportunities for other ready young men."

Another explanation: Ben Roethlisberger was injured for the final month of the season after suffering a high-ankle sprain against the Browns in Week 14. He essentially played on one leg down the stretch and that affected his accuracy on deep balls, where Wallace is truly dangerous. Either way, the 25-year-old wideout with an 18.7 yards-per-catch average in three NFL seasons, looks like he'll stay in Pittsburgh. If that happens, he'll have a new offensive coordinator, former Chiefs head coach Todd Haley.

Brown was asked about playing for Haley, who is known for an in-your-face coaching style that doesn't suit everybody.

"I heard [Haley] challenges players and I love that. You don't allow guys to underachieve. And you find that, with most players in this league, there are a lot of underachievers so he's the type of guy who pushes players and that's something I enjoy. ...

"We're definitely looking forward to Todd Haley and we're just excited for the fresh start."

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our NFL newsletter.
Closed Thread