Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Keep Wallace or Let him Walk for the draft pick?
Keep Him and Pay the money 17 51.52%
Hope someone pays him and give me the draft pick 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #681
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
Default Re: The Official Mike Wallace Thread

Kan, thats not happening.

Wallace will either sign long term, or accept what he has here for 1 year. Steelers than have the right to franchise him next year as well and do so for each of the next 2 years.

As I stated before, RFA and 2 tags is about 23-25million over 3 years.

They should break the barrior and sign Brown today long term, than work Wallace after the fact.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #682
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,284 Times in 4,396 Posts
My Mood: Worried

Steelers 'not worried' about Mike Wallace reports

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com
Published: April 23, 2012

Mike Wallace might not be happy about his current contract situation, but there's not much he can do about it. And the Pittsburgh Steelers know it.

"We're not worried about the reports," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Monday at a pre-draft news conference. "He's still here. We will deal with it day to day."

There is no reason for the Steelers to be worried. They say Wallace's situation won't affect their draft plans. ESPN reported the wide receiver won't attend voluntary work anytime soon, choosing to wait before signing his one-year tender as a restricted free agent.

In theory, Wallace is waiting to see if any team will try to trade for him on draft day. We find that extremely unlikely. Eventually, Wallace will have to show up.

"We felt all along the decision would be ours," Colbert said about Wallace's lack of movement on the restricted market. "We want Mike to be here for the long haul. He knows that."

Unless Wallace lowers his contract demands, he might stay on a one-year contract. That arrangement could last two seasons with the franchise tag looming.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack
Old 04-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #683
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513
Default Re: Mike Wallace's Possible Destinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinart82 View Post
Nobody offered him a deal, so he's staying a Steeler at least for this year.
Exactly, I don't know why some folks are reading things that are not in the article. The article stated that he said he would not sign until he has to on June 14th. That is the day before his salary could be lowered. He will show up when he has to, that's business.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #684
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Antonio Brown really shows that he wants to remain in Pittsburgh and remain a Steeler and that might be having an impact on the front office as well as his contract comes up next year and its going to be a BIG one. Can't have them both.
I too would've agreed with this statement back in '04-'05 when Plaxico was coming due for a big contract, with the knowledge that Hines was coming due the following season, and thought we could only hope to retain one of them if we wanted to keep our defense heavily bolstered. I discussed this on multiple occasions, and broke it down for my fellow Steeler fans that Hines was the logical choice to keep, with his better hands and superior Steeler football attitude. Apparently, the powers that be agreed with me as well when Plax walked, and the rest is history.

And so, here we are again 8 years later in an eerily parallel situation, EXCEPT that the NFL has changed quite a bit since then, and now there's more logic for increased emphasis on offense than in yesteryears. As I've said before, I'm not saying we should flip the script, and spend a greater percentage of our cap money on offense, but perhaps crank the dial a bit more in that direction. Should the Steelers front office agree with me (which they always do ), then you'll see one more large contract being signed on offense than usual, and one less on defense.

Mike Wallace may very well end up being the crux a fundamental shift by the Steelers, and I really hope that happens. But, I'll tell you one thing about him right now............I would never sign him to a Fitzgerald sized contract, and I'll be highly annoyed if they do.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #685
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Tomlin unconcerned with Wallace contract situation

April 23, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin said he is not bothered about reports about whether wide receiver Mike Wallace will play for the Steelers this season.

And general manager Kevin Colbert said the Steelers' goal remains the same: To sign their Pro Bowl receiver to a contract that will keep him with the team for a long time.

Wallace did not receive any offers from other NFL teams before last Friday night -- the deadline for restricted free agents to sign with another team. But he has also not signed the $2.7 million offer he was tendered as a restricted free agent by the Steelers -- and there have been various reports that he might not do so.

"We're not worried about reports," Tomlin said today during a pre-draft news conference on the South Side. "There were reports he was going somewhere every day in restricted free agency and he's still here. So we'll deal with it day to day."

"Our goal with Mike has always been and always will be to sign him to a long-term contract," Colbert said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...uation-632755/
Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #686
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
I too would've agreed with this statement back in '04-'05 when Plaxico was coming due for a big contract, with the knowledge that Hines was coming due the following season, and thought we could only hope to retain one of them if we wanted to keep our defense heavily bolstered. I discussed this on multiple occasions, and broke it down for my fellow Steeler fans that Hines was the logical choice to keep, with his better hands and superior Steeler football attitude. Apparently, the powers that be agreed with me as well when Plax walked, and the rest is history.

And so, here we are again 8 years later in an eerily parallel situation, EXCEPT that the NFL has changed quite a bit since then, and now there's more logic for increased emphasis on offense than in yesteryears. As I've said before, I'm not saying we should flip the script, and spend a greater percentage of our cap money on offense, but perhaps crank the dial a bit more in that direction. Should the Steelers front office agree with me (which they always do ), then you'll see one more large contract being signed on offense than usual, and one less on defense.

Mike Wallace may very well end up being the crux a fundamental shift by the Steelers, and I really hope that happens. But, I'll tell you one thing about him right now............I would never sign him to a Fitzgerald sized contract, and I'll be highly annoyed if they do.
No receiver not named Randy Moss in his prime or Jerry Rice is worth 10 million a year.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #687
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Will unhappy Wallace leave Steelers in '13?

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
April 22, 2012

It's clear that restricted free agent Mike Wallace is not happy with the Pittsburgh Steelers right now. He is prepared to sit out offseason drills and at least the start of training camp, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Does this hurt the Steelers' chances of keeping him long term? Not at all. Players get upset about their contract status all the time and skip workouts on a regular basis to show their dissatisfaction with their current situation.

Just remember the recent predicament with guard Logan Mankins, who was unhappy and wanted out of New England because he didn't want to play as a restricted free agent. How did that get resolved? Mankins signed a six-year contract last summer that included a $20 million signing bonus.

It was a similar ugly standoff last year between the Tennessee Titans and running back Chris Johnson. In the end, the sides were shaking hands on four-year, $53.5 million contract extension that included $30 million guaranteed.

Wallace wants a long-term deal instead of a $2.7 million first-round tender. He has outplayed his contract, and the Steelers have repeatedly said they want to sign him to a multiyear deal. This problem probably won't get resolved this year, but Wallace would only be hurting himself by dragging this out beyond June 15 (when the Steelers can cut the tender to $577,500 if he doesn't sign).

The Steelers don't a have long history of re-signing their wide receivers in free agency -- only Hines Ward has been retained -- but there's also no reason to doubt the team's desire to keep him. Pittsburgh has rewarded Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons with extensions.

Plus, Wallace is a key part of the Steelers' deep passing game. His receiving yards (3,206) and touchdowns (24) both rank as the second most by an NFL receiver in his first three seasons. And, even when Wallace isn't catching the ball, the threat of him running deep opens up the underneath for wide receiver Antonio Brown and tight end Heath Miller.

So, Wallace is ticked off by his contract status, and the Steelers aren't going to like him missing workouts in a year with a new offensive coordinator. But NFL history shows that a multiyear contract can turn a temporarily bad situation into a happy long-term one.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...steelers-in-13
Old 04-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #688
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

just on a general side note (i'm really getting sick of talking about Wallace specifically), it really kills me how all these players are so "unhappy" as its stated .....making more than 50X and much more what regular civilians make.
I know this has been covered dozens of times but every time i read these things, i continually just read in disbelief. My point is don't say you're unhappy or feel unappreciated (ahh.....POOR baby...)....just stand up like a man and say "i'm not happy with my contract....i want more".
If so "unhappy", these guys are free to try and enter the job interview market to try and land a business job with their degree and make 80K a year, work 60 hours a week, all year. Nobody's stopping you. If so "unhappy"......go do that instead.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #689
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

I think we have Wallace for the next two years at least...
Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #690
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I think we have Wallace for the next two years at least...

Wallace will be an UFA next year unless we decide to use the franchise tag on him.
Closed Thread