Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Keep Wallace or Let him Walk for the draft pick?
Keep Him and Pay the money 17 51.52%
Hope someone pays him and give me the draft pick 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #761
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,459 Times in 2,319 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: The Official Mike Wallace Thread

we should have cut his pay when we had the chance

even without mike, we have a strong WR corps, we don't need him as much as he wants to believe. it almost seems like half of ben's sacks/interceptions come from waiting for wallace to get open / trying to force it to him deep even when he's double/triple covered. who knows, ben might even play better without him in the lineup
Old 07-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #762
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,450 Times in 1,639 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Wallace's RFA tender ranks 46th among WRs in terms of bottom-line dough. I'm sure if the tender was higher it wouldn't be an issue but it is so we'll play the dumb waiting game

Think the Steelers FO will play a little hard ball and give Mikey an ultimatum at some point during camp? (if goes that far) I.E. - you have x amount of time to show up or we will cut it down to 500k and if you don't, well then you're either shipped out or to Siberia or can just sit out season without producing for a bigger contract with someone else?

I know Wallace has the play book, but that won't mean squat anymore eventually and he will jeopardize the improvement of the offense, at least through the first quarter of the season - what if he shows up mad and screws around because he doesn't want to be here anymore?

CMON MIKE YOU NEED STEELERS MORE THAN THEY NEED YOU

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #763
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I can't wait until this is over so everybody can go back to cheering for their team's players instead of deriding them when they have to wade through the business aspect of the sport. As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't deserve a fraction of the vitriol he's been subjected to so far unless he decides to hold out during the regular season. As of now, he's done basically nothing, including not saying anything at all publicly.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #764
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,334 Times in 3,986 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post

Think the Steelers FO will play a little hard ball and give Mikey an ultimatum at some point during camp? (if goes that far) I.E. - you have x amount of time to show up or we will cut it down to 500k
the Steelers can no longer reduce Wallace's tender, they would have had to do so by the June 15 deadline but decided not to in good faith...
Old 07-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #765
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

This is the nature of the NFL, players try to get "x" amount of dollars while the FO tries to save what they can. The Steeler franchise is not immune to hard line negotiations and while this may be hard for fans to understand players are about money first. Loyalty from a young player coming off a great early start to his career is a pipe dream.

Wallace played his rookie contract out to a "fair" price, but he exceeded most peoples expectations and now he expects to be paid accordingly. While his idea of fair now and what the Steelers can and are able to pay him seem to be miles apart they continue to jockey for a new deal.

Its just a matter of time before either (a) he decides to play this year and test next year as an unrestricted, (b) they come to an agreement for a new contract. Less likely are (a) he sits out, or (b) we trade him. Realistically we can not expect any team to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him now without having a good idea they can lock him up long term. I fear that if half of what I have read about his agents demands are true then we have a player that even if signed to a 4 yr contract now could come back in two years wanting his contract redone. The Steelers have never been one to overpay players and I do not see it happening now.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #766
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

I agree with them not cutting his paycheck. But I"m a believer of the system, even if there are things I dont like. The players agreed to the salary cap stuff, the tags, RFA etc. So imo he should evenutally show up, and he shouldve shown up already. I dont think I would give him a contract till he shows up. We did that with hines when he threw his little fit too.

I still stand behind my thinking from the get go. He passed through FA, we get him for whatever the number is say 2.7mill, next year we tag him, than atg his ass again. It turns into a 3year roughly 24mill deal, avg 8mill per. He wont be the fastest guy than, he as big of a threat as he is now.
Wallace is in on financial shape to hold out he hasn't earned enough to sit out and waste a year and be back at the same spot next year.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #767
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Steelers Optimistic About Wallace Deal [VIDEO]
Old 07-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #768
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post

You beat me to it.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #769
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

New video from ESPN on the latest - Steelers Optimistic About Wallace Deal

I'm not sure if this deal is going to get done any time soon...
Old 07-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #770
pancake
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Goofy

I still hold out hope that both sides can come to a long term agreement. Both side need each other.
Closed Thread