Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Keep Wallace or Let him Walk for the draft pick?
Keep Him and Pay the money 17 51.52%
Hope someone pays him and give me the draft pick 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #81
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Default Re: Steelers can’t overpay Wallace

Here's the deal (IMO) things with the Steelers are starting to come together, the franchise quarterback is becoming "seasoned", hitting his prime. The FO as well as the coaching staff have addressed serious needs, the need for WR's, in 2010 the Steelers took a gamble on two rookies. That worked out for one for sure, and another if he can stay healthy, bottomline line is this, if we can keep a QB upright, provide a more balanced attack with a running game the Steelers will be successful. Mike Wallace is an intregral part of that game plan, without him Brown gets the double teams (might I add he is not the best route runner), Sanders if he stays healthy may contribute, other than that the Steelers have Cotchery, I like Cotchery don't get me wrong, but is he the answer to this offense in Wallace's departure? I say bring Wallace back, build the WR corps, also work on the running game and for those who will criticize it Mendenhall is not the answer. Bring Wallace back, work the angles Khan is paid to work, sign Brown and lets go from there, do the Steelers really want to draft another WR and give him two years to learn the system? That is like a half step forward and three steps back!!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #82
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Yeah nobody has a clue here. Especially the people who offer criticism based on facts. It's not a Wallace bashing thread, it's a thread offering more than the typical "yes man" generic answers.

By the way, we had a passing game before Wallace.
I love Wallace and am proud he's a steeler and proud of all his splash plays, but he's not worth breaking the bank for.
We cool man. You must not have read what I typed. I said some folks and I think what I typed is fact based. I did not understand your "yes man" comment. Signing Wallace won't break the bank but not signing him will set us back in the passing game.

You may not agree, but that's cool.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #83
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
What you say is fundamentally true .....But you have to go back to 2003 to find a QB on a winning SB team who is not a Hall of Famer....

The NFL in modern times has demanded a top QB to be successful, even more so today.
You are right the QB has to bee succesful and part of that success involves Wrs. The HOF has not been very kind to Wrs over the years as you know, so I don't know if the HOF variable is a true indication of talent relative to Wrs.

We have Bradshaw as QB HOF and two Wrs in Swan and Stallworth. Ben will probably be inducted too. Hines and Holmes may not make it into the HOF but both are SB MVPs and have stellar career numbers.

I am just an old team kinda guy when it comes to team sports, so I may have a different view than most folks today. But it's all good.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #84
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default how long do teams have to sign Wallace

once free agency begins, how long do teams have to sign Wallace to an offer sheet? when does the opportunity for them to sign him expire, and he becomes 100% Steelers property for 2012?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #85
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Re: how long do teams have to sign Wallace

I'm not quite sure. But they can't negotiate until the 13th and i wouldnt be surprised if by Friday the 16th he is given an offer sheet.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #86
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
We cool man. You must not have read what I typed. I said some folks and I think what I typed is fact based. I did not understand your "yes man" comment. Signing Wallace won't break the bank but not signing him will set us back in the passing game.

You may not agree, but that's cool.

Sorry my guy. I kind of responded to your comment and other comments I've read in the past by other posters. It kind of bothers me when board members complain about other board members who say negative things about steelers employees, ownership etc.

A yes man is someone who agrees with another person whether they are right/wrong or knows that a better decision could be made, but dont say anything cause they have no spine.

So...What I meant by the "yes men" comment was that people should be voicing their opinions both negative and positive if that's how they feel, and not just blindly comment about things like everything is all good with the organization when there are things that can improve.

People will say Wallace is the best and they should pay whatever cost to keep him.

I say he's a good player to have but his best contribution is speed and I'd rather spend more on a bigger physical player that can make catches not only when he has a step on a DB but also while being covered by a DB.

Then someone will cry and say it's a Wallace bashing thread cause, like a yes man they can't possibly accept criticism or admit that giving a good player the boot could be a better decision for the team.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #87
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default On the Steelers: The Mike Wallace Gambit

On the Steelers: The Mike Wallace Gambit
Sunday, March 11, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Both Art Rooney and Kevin Colbert have said publicly that Mike Wallace will be a priority.

"We're going to do everything we can to make sure Mike Wallace remains a Pittsburgh Steeler," Colbert said.

Notice, he did not say for how long, because if they are able to keep him longer than 2012 by signing him to a multiple-year contract, Wallace will enter rare company -- a wide receiver the Steelers were able to keep during the nearly 20-year free agency era by signing them to big contracts.

Among wide receivers who left in free agency were Yancey Thigpen, Plaxico Burress, Antwaan Randle El, Nate Washington, Bobby Shaw, Charles Johnson, Andre Hastings and more.

They also traded Santonio Holmes, Jeff Graham and Troy Edwards.

Here is the list of top wide receivers the Steelers were able to keep by signing them over the long term:

Hines Ward.

That's it.

The Steelers have a history of shrugging their shoulders when it comes to giving wide receivers long-term contracts since free agency began. They either did not want to keep them, did not want to pay them what others were willing to do, or they shipped them out and got meager returns before they could become free agents.

Ward is the only one they kept, and it seemed as though every time he signed a new contract, he said it guaranteed he would finish his career in Pittsburgh. Remember that the next time a player signs a new contract and is moved to declare the same.

Now it's Wallace's turn. He is a restricted free agent who must receive his one-year tender by 4 p.m. Tuesday. There are others too, but Wallace likely will be the only RFA to receive the $2,742,000 tender that would bring a first-round draft pick as compensation if he signs another deal and the Steelers decline to match it and keep him.

In fact, they have more decisions to make on their RFAs than they do their unrestricted free agents. The Steelers have four choices on RFA tenders, all carrying the right for them to match and the compensation they would receive for each if they do not:

• $2,742,000, first-round.

• $1,927,000, second-round.

• $1.26 million, original round in which player was drafted.

• Do not tender.

Let's look at some projections about what the Steelers might do:

Mike Wallace: First-round tender, which could set up three separate dramas, one of which may not end until around this time next year. The first is whether another team will offer him a contract and whether Wallace will sign it. If he does, it sets up the second, whether the Steelers will match it (if they CAN match it) or take the first-round pick. The third would occur if Wallace does not sign elsewhere, whether he and the Steelers can come to an agreement on a multiple-year contract or whether he plays the 2012 season for $2,742,000 and becomes a UFA next year.

Ramon Foster: Second-round tender. Usually, a starting guard would be worth a one-year $2,742,000, but the Steelers are watching their cap dollars and an $800,000 savings is worth it in this case. He was not drafted, so the lower tender would bring no draft choice.

Doug Legursky: Second-round tender. Same reasons as Foster.

Keenan Lewis: Original round. Lewis would bring a third-round draft pick. If William Gay leaves, he would compete to start with Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. It's somewhat of a gamble and it's possible the Steelers will drop the second-rounder on him, too.

Ryan Mundy: Original round. Mundy would bring a sixth-round draft pick. As a backup, they cannot afford to pay him nearly $2 million.

David Johnson: Original round. Johnson would bring a seventh-round draft pick and it gets dicey here because they are so thin at tight end. Weslye Saunders, a rookie last season, is suspended for the first four games of the season. However, Johnson was used mostly as a fullback and they do have tight end Jame McCoy, whom they believe could handle that job.

Jamon Meredith: No tender, making him a UFA. They also are thin at tackle, but they also could re-sign him because he's not expected to attract much interest elsewhere.

A class ending to a classy career

It's rare when a player digs into his own pocket to purchase a newspaper ad to thank fans after his career comes to a close in a city. Newspaper ads are not cheap.

Alan Faneca did so when he bought an ad in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in 2008 after his career with the Steelers ended.

Now it's Aaron Smith's turn.

In today's PG (Page D-7), you will find an ad that Smith bought so he could express how he felt as his Steelers career, and likely his NFL career, comes to an end.

He writes:

• • • •

Dear Steelers Fans,

As of today, I am no longer a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I leave the field and Steelers with no regrets, and am grateful to have played for such a tremendous organization. I feel truly blessed to have spent my entire professional career in the best town, playing for the most loyal fans who have loved and supported myself and my family.

The last 13 years of our lives have been special because of the people who cheered me on, and I am truly fortunate to have been a part of the Steelers, the City of Pittsburgh and the Steelers Nation. You have opened your arms and your hearts to us as a family and we will never forget that. Your support, enthusiasm, love and dedication are gifts I will carry with me my entire life.

I may no longer be on the Steelers active roster, but I will always be a Steeler and will never forget the people who made it all worthwhile -- the fans, the Rooneys, the front office, the equipment guys and trainers, my teammates and family. Thank you for supporting me over the last 13 years, and I hope you will support me in whatever future path life will take me on.

We plan on making Pittsburgh our home and I will endeavor for the rest of my days to find a way to thank each and every one of you personally for all that you have done and meant for me and my family. You cheered for me for 13 years and now I cheer for you for the rest of my life. You will always be in my heart, thoughts and prayers. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to have the job of a lifetime. You will always be in my heart.

Your friend always,

Aaron Smith and Family, No. 91

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12071...#ixzz1ooJ4k4oK
Old 03-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #88
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

I heard a team has all the way up to April 20th to make an offer to him.

Thereby giving teams a lot of time to try and sign one of the other free agent WRs available and if they fail at that, they can use Mike Wallace as their backup plan as a last resort. This could seriously hurt the Steelers' chances of finding a replacement for him via free agency as by April 20th almost all the UFA WRs will be signed.

The Steelers then would have to rely on the draft for replacement WRS and that is why I have been predicting so adamantly they would pick one in the first round with the extra pick because we would only have Brown and Sanders for depth at that point.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #89
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

It would be a complete f'ing disaster for us to not retain Wallace. Didn't we just let our SB MVP go for peanuts because we had faith that Wallace would become the Pro Bowler he has become? To lose another #1 receiver in such a short period of time would be a debacle.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #90
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I don't agree. Can't pay Wallace $9M/yr. Would love to keep him, but if we got a 1st rounder in return for losing him, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Closed Thread