Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Re: Mendenhall done?

maybe this story is just something bouchette created to motivate mendenhall
Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Mendenhall's uncertain future with Steelers
By Jamison Hensley
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/print?id=44273

Running back Rashard Mendenhall is expected to be fully recovered from his ACL surgery by 2013. It's just uncertain whether he will be running for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That's why the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is speculating that Mendenhall may have taken his last carry with the Steelers.

Rashard Mendenhall
#34 RB
Pittsburgh Steelers

2011 STATS

Rush 228
Yds 928
TD 9
Rec 18
Yds 154

Sources told the Post-Gazette that the Steelers won't count on Mendenhall returning to form until next season. This isn't a stop-the-presses moment because Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said last month that "it's a bonus" if Mendenhall can play at all this year.

If Mendenhall doesn't play in 2012, it will make the decision regarding his future even tougher. Mendenhall will be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Mendenhall's effectiveness dropped last season when the Steelers de-emphasized the running game. He averaged 15.2 carries and 61.9 rushing yards last season.

Mendenhall also was more hesitant in running between the tackles and frequently bounced to the outside. He wasn't as explosive as in previous seasons, producing only three runs of more than 20 yards last season after having 11 of them in 2010.

Perhaps Mendenhall's future is tied to how the Steelers play without him. Pittsburgh is expected to lean more on backup Isaac Redman as well as reserves Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay and Baron Batch.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #13
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

should of signed mike tolbert...
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

Redman has done nothing but impress me and he has done well when he started. Put a fullback in front of him and I think he would hurt most any defense. The thing is I think he would be most effective as a 15 carry back. A fast change of pace back would open things up for him and take pressure off he and Ben.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #15
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

It's a damned shame. Mendenhall has worlds of talent, and got hurt just as Arians was being ushered out. Now some other team gets to figure out how best to use him.

Judging any running back who worked under Arians is just not fair at all.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #16
steelermount
Water Boy

Member Number: 16052

From steelers depot blog : A blog post by Ed Bouchette on Monday, that focused on Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall, sent shock waves through Steeler Nation as well as the national media. It really shouldn't have though as it really wasn't new news. In his post Bouchette stated that it’s possible that Mendenhall, who tore his right ACL in the regular season finale against the Cleveland Browns, may have had his last carry with the Steelers. That indeed is very possible and has been since Mendenhall suffered the injury.

General Manager Kevin Colbert has left that possibility open in several interviews that he conducted leading up to the NFL combine and was quoted as saying, "I never feel good about an ACL until a year. I’m not a doctor, but that's my mindset. If he gets back before that, to me it's a bonus." Colbert also has said he fully expects Mendenhall to start the season on the PUP (physically unable to perform list). When you get the hacks like Jamison Hensley from ESPN.com, who picked this up as new news because he does not pay close attention to the Steelers situation on a day to day basis, you get the mass hysteria that you had today. If you think that this is a shot at Hensley, you guessed right. He is the worst ESPN.com has to offer and it has nothing to do with him being the former beat writer for the Baltimore Ravens. I don't take shots at major media often, but this one is worthy.

Back to Mendenhall now. He is entering the final year of his rookie contract that will pay him a base salary of over $2 million and he will be an unrestricted free agent after the upcoming season. Should he start the year on the reserve PUP list, which I have stated long ago that I think he will; he will miss a minimum of six weeks to start the season, per the PUP rules. After week 6 a three week window opens up that allows Mendenhall to return to practice without counting against the Steelers 53 man roster. Once he begins practicing, a second three week window opens and Mendenhall must be activated to the 53 man roster during those three weeks, placed on injured reserve or released. So this could run all the way until week 13 at the latest.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that even while Mendenhall is on PUP and not on the 53 man roster, he still counts against the salary cap, just like players who are on injured reserve. The beauty of the PUP list is it allows you time to rehab a player without being forced to place him on injured reserve at the start at of the season. It should also be noted that players must start training camp on the ACTIVE PUP list to be eligible for the in-season RESERVE PUP list.

Now Colbert also said back in mid February that Mendenhall had not suffered a setback, and keep in mind that he did not have his surgery until the middle of January. Even if he were to have a very fast recovery time of say 7 months, that would put him returning in mid August. A more believable, albeit still not 100%, recovery time would be 9 months and that would put him being ready for action in mid October, which would be close to the 6 week mark of the PUP rules. I think that an even more realistic return would be around week 8 or 9 however, and like Colbert said, I would not expect him to be back to 100% until late in the season.

The last thing the Steelers will want to do is to rush him back and running the chance that he suffers a setback and winds up on injured reserve. You have to wonder if it is worth it to them to carry Mendenhall and his near $3.5 million plus cap hit for half a season, or even longer. That is why I have stated in the past that I would not be totally surprised if he was released prior to the start of the season if they indeed thought he would miss more than half of it. I previously posted about the injury benefit clause in the CBA, and if my research and understanding of it is correct, there is no injury grievance there and only a benefit of $1 million that Mendenhall could collect and I do not believe that is charged against the cap. I have yet to be told otherwise since that post and if you believe that to be incorrect, let me hear your argument.

So if Mendenhall were to be released prior to the start of the season, and he could only collect that $1 million benefit that would not be charged against the cap, then the Steelers would save his base salary of over $2 million against the 2012 cap and would incur a dead money charge of $1.1025 million. Now of course if he is grievance worthy and if I am wrong in stating that the injury benefit does not count against the cap, then it will not be worth cutting him and they should just ride him on PUP as long as they can.

So what about his future past this season you ask? He will be an unrestricted free agent if he stays on the roster all season and there is no way that he would get the franchise tag next year. There is also no way that he would get a big contract offer either coming off an ACL injury. He most likely, as I stated before, would much rather test the free agency waters first. So what do the Steelers really lose should they need to cut him prior to the start of the season if he is going to leave following the season? Once again let me state that this assumes he will miss at least 9 weeks or more of the season. The Steelers could certainly use that $2 million in cap space if that indeed wound up being the case.

So to wrap this up and go full circle, when Bouchette stated that Mendenhall may have had his last carry with the Steelers, it is indeed a possibility, but this possibility is one that has been in existence since he tore his ACL. It is not new news and unfortunately it is being treated as such.
steelermount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #17
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
.... Michael Bush ....

come on down....
Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #18
IamTheSteelGod
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1064
My Mood: Yeehaw

Can they release Medenhall whilst he is INR?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #19
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Ed: Minus Mendenhall, Do Steelers Have Enough RBs?
Monday, 19 March 2012 18:00
Written by Ed Bouchette
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ave-enough-rbs

While the Steelers had no interest in free agent running back Mike Tolbert, they do have one very big concern at the position. They do not believe Rashard Mendenhall will be of much use to them in 2012, which is the final year of his contract.

It’s possible Mendenhall may have had his last carry with the Steelers.
Sources told me that the Steelers will not count on Mendenhall returning to form until at least the 2013 season, and his contract with the Steelers will have expired by then. GM Kevin Colbert basically said he’s not counting on him until 2013 when he said this on Feb. 13: “I never feel good about an ACL until a year. I’m not a doctor, but that's my mindset. If he gets back before that, to me it's a bonus.”

Even if he does get back before that, however, he’s not expected to be at the level he was as a running back before the injury in the playoff game at Denver and subsequent surgery. The Steelers not only have lost Mendenhall, they likely won’t re-sign UFA Mewelde Moore.

So, where does that leave them? It leaves them with Isaac Redman as their starter with Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay and Barron Batch in the stable behind him.

Are they comfortable with that? Batch probably would have elbowed Moore out of his job had he not torn his own ACL the second week of training camp. He looks to be fully healed, and Colbert’s words could hold true with him as well, which means he should feel good about Batch around the second week of August, which is perfect timing.

That’s a lot of backfield inexperience for the Steelers. It’s not just that those players are young, but they have shown little in the bigs other than Redman. Dwyer carried 16 times for 123 yards including that epic 76-yard run against Tennessee – but he ended the season on injured reserve with a foot injury. He had nine carries for 28 yards as a rookie in 2010.

Clay spent his rookie season on the practice squad until he replaced the injured Dwyer. Clay ran 10 times for 41 yards, including an impressive 10-yard run around end against St. Louis.
Four young backs; is that enough? They only carried four backs on the 53-man roster last season, so four is enough for the depth chart once the season opens. They’ll need to have seven or so for training camp. They could pick up one in the draft, maybe add one undrafted rookie.

There is room, however, for a Mike Tolbert-like veteran to compete for a job against the others. The Steelers just aren’t/can’t pay the kind of money Tolbert was looking for. Had no other teams been interested in signing him, his price might have come down far enough by, say, May for the Steelers to have been interested. They did that once with John L. Williams, who came to them at a bargain after his high demands were met by nobody until they dropped low enough for the Steelers to sign him.

That’s a moot point with Tolbert. But there may be other backs out there – free agents now or free agents-to-be if they are released – whose price might be attractive enough later-on for the Steelers to sign one. That’s not something they can count on, and neither can they count on getting a stud back in the draft.
So, the Steelers backfield in September could be just as it stands now with Redman, Dwyer, Clay and Batch.

--- PROGRAM NOTE: Tuesday's chat has bee moved to Wednesday at 1:30. I have an interview tomorrow during the normal chat time.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #20
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Well one nice thing is they can cut Mendy before the regular season starts if some things fall into place.

Maybe they take his salary this year to sign a free agent RB,
If the backs they have are showing good things in camp or
if they draft a RB early like Isaiah Pead that right there would be the nail in the coffin.

Mendy does have that unique combination of speed, power, and elusiveness combined with really good hands to catch. It's a shame he wasn't thrown to more. One of the main reasons Arians may have been let go was his complete squandering of Mendenhall's talents. What was he doing off the field on 3rd downs in favor of Mewelde Moore? #1 draft choice and he is not a 3 down back? I have one prediction: If the Patriots need a back next year at this time and he is a free agent.....
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote