Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #101
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,844 Times in 794 Posts
Default Re: William Gay Signs with Cardinals.

What?
A Steeler player went to Arizona?

Jeez! How weird is THAT?
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #102
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,054 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

im surprised they haven't signed dennis dixon yet lol
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #103
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

thanks gay for all those years of pissing me off with your poor defending and horrid coverage, and making me hate you even more than i thought possible each time you would get smoked one on one.

yes thanks for all the "memories". NOT
Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #104
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
I liked the way Willie played last season, but as the season wore on it became apparent to me that as well as he played Lewis surpassed him in ability. Anything that can get Allen and brown on the field more is a benefit. The only problem we have now at CB is Lewis is currently a RFA if I'm not mistaken, so we nest get him locked up or we will certainly lose him next season.
I wish Gay all the best, he came a long way with the Steelers and it's nice to see him capitalize on it, albeit with another team.
The interesting thing about Lewis is that he is childhood friends with Wallace. Their futures may be tied to one another. Maybe keeping Lewis around would be a notch in favor of the Steelers for Wallace's ultimate decision.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #105
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I personally hope that he has an excellent season, and not just because the better he does, the better compensatory pick the Steelers get. I think he will fare better with the Cardinals that McFadden did, because they have adopted a scheme now that is similar to the Steelers' after adding Ray Horton and Deshea Townsend to their coaching staff. I hope he gets to start along with Patrick Peterson and does well. He deserves it.
i feel the same way as well. i aqlways thought he kinda got a raw deal with the fans and was made a scapegoat.

even ike taylor was a young cb benched by cowher in this system. fact of the matter is no cb's have really found success in the steelers system since rod woodson (including high round picks such as chard scott, choke cochlough, and mcfadden).

even though gay finally seemed to come into his own last season, fans still wanna run his ass out of town. i hope he continues a long career with the cards.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #106
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i feel the same way as well. i aqlways thought he kinda got a raw deal with the fans and was made a scapegoat.

even ike taylor was a young cb benched by cowher in this system. fact of the matter is no cb's have really found success in the steelers system since rod woodson (including high round picks such as chard scott, choke cochlough, and mcfadden).

even though gay finally seemed to come into his own last season, fans still wanna run his ass out of town. i hope he continues a long career with the cards.
Good point, it also puzzles me how guys are expected to excel at CB, yet they aren't here long enough to gel. That break in continuity with McFadden threw him and us out of sync on the D side of the ball.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #107
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

In fairness to McFadden, I think his first stint with the Steelers was above the line, right up through the super bowl run, even though he missed a lot of that season due to injury.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #108
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Damn.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #109
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

i also agree with craig wolfley, who is one not elated to see gay leave-

http://craigwolfley.com/2012/03/big-play-william-gay/

Big Play William Gay

Quote:
I know that there are a number of Steelers fans who will see the signing of William Gay by the Arizona Cardinals as a boost to the Steelers secondary. I am not among the number that believe that to be so, but i do know that there is a faction out there that really wasn’t fan-friendly to seeing #22 line up on Sundays.

Regardless of your take on his skill-set, this i do know, Pittsburgh is losing a good dude.

William is a survivvor, a man who has risen above the catastrophic loss of his murdered mother at a very young age. Raised by his grandmother, William is a testament to hard work, dedication to his education and profession, and the love of a grandmother who would not let William become a statistic.

Not content to bury the burden of that experience in the recesses of his noodle and just move forward, William has been proactive in the fight against domestic abuse violence and has spoken out on the issue. William has mentored other young men who suffered as he did, and the biggest plays of his career may well be in the rear-view mirror of life and the impact that he has had on others.

William caught my eye early on as a rookie. In his very first appearance in a Steelers uniform, at the Hall-of-Fame game in Canton 2007 against the New Orleans Saints, he intercepted a pass. I remember interviewing William after the game for the Steelers Radio Network. I came away very impressed with his composure, humble-yet confident tone and his innate ability to comprehend my jumbolaya mind-set.

In ’09 William got the starting role at corner opposite Ike Taylor after Bryant McFadden left for Arizona. To be candid, William struggled, as many young men do when they first become a 1-16 guy. Anybody worth his NFL salt can fill in short term as a starter, it’s so much more difficult to “Be the man” week-in/week-out over the course of 20-some games a season.

Yet during that entire season, William, who took much public guff, never hid or faded under the hot light of public scrutiny. He always carried himself well, and was a stand-up guy throughout.

Fast forward to Saint Vincent College of 2010, and on the first day of camp, as i was enjoying the 5-star smorgasboard that the Steelers enjoy in today’s NFL version of training camp, i came face-to-face with William.

I was intrigued after all the negative press in the off-season about Will and had been wondering how he would handle the demotion with B-Mac brought back from Arizona to take the starting job. Sportswriters were writing him off as if he was already gone. Fans had made their voice apparent throughout the draft and OTA’s and i was more than a little curious to see if he folded up like a tent, or would he stand his ground and battle back?

After saying hi to William, i went straight to the heart of the matter.

“Are you ready to fight for a spot, or are you just playing it out?” i asked as i shook his hand and looked him close in the eye.

He didn’t blink, didn’t act offended nor did he offer excuse. William didn’t bluster in bravado, or over-reach in his assessment of where he was in his career. William didn’t respond as so many do in his situation by denying the obvious either. He simply re-affirmed his commitment to contend for a role in the secondary with a determined look in his eye that let me know i was getting the true spirit of the man.

William Gay, a fighter, an over-comer, a man who has been in tough times before and knew his way around a set-back or two.

Against all odds, William made the team, fought his way back to playing time, and eventually worked his way into a Deshea Townsend-type role. And in true Steelers fashion, William served as a great role model for the young up and coming corners who sought his tutelage.

Somebody else will wear William’s #22 this year for the Steelers, but i for one, am gonna miss a young man who it has been my privilege to watch battle for his career, and do so with a sense of humility and class that is all too lacking in today’s NFL.

And for the more important battle of mentoring young men to become over-comers, “Big Play William Gay” is a super-star in my book.
best steelers blog out there... follow it!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #110
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,054 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

gay is a good #3-#4 corner, i would have preferred we kept him, but we can count him as a cap casualty.

but I am optimistic that lewis is a better option at #2 and that either cortez allen or curtis brown will step up and be a solid #3

such is life in the nfl, one person leaves, someone else steps up.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote