Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #31
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: William Gay meets with Cardinals

Are you contesting my claim that the Steelers played more man coverage last year than they have previously under Ray Horton? I never claimed that they were switching to a primarily man scheme, but simply that they were using it more, and frankly, it's really not hard to prove, since they used it more in the Patriots game alone than they have in like, the last 3 years combined. Go to Steelers.com and watch the videos of Carnell Lake talking about his new draft picks and why they were desired by the team because they wanted people that could play both man and zone. Lake also praised Lewis in training camp as the only DB on the roster that could consistently cover Wallace (which is not surprising, given that they grew up together). I don't need to pull up a quote of Lake explicitly saying "I am encouraging my DBs and LeBeau to play more man coverage" in order to demonstrate that Lake's contributions have in part led to them playing more man coverage, which they self-evidently did.

Also, you didn't click the links:

Quote:
This season, though, Gay has been outstanding after a rough start in Indianapolis upon taking over for McFadden. His breakthrough was the primary reason LeBeau and Lake felt comfortable with switching to man-to-man coverage against Brady and the Patriots.
Here's more: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/11...in-pittsburgh/

Quote:
Lewis credits Lake with his turn around and notes specifically the tips he has received from Lake in regards to how to improve his man coverage and bump skills. Lewis goes on to say that Lake is probably the best coach he had had in his entire life. That is certainly the type of words you want to hear from a kid that looked like he was not going to live up to his draft potential. To be honest, it was looking like Lewis was headed for the dreaded bust category. That has all changed now based on his play this year and Lake is the only new denominator.

Last edited by Steelersfan87; 03-20-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #32
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,048 Times in 3,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I don't need to pull up a quote of Lake explicitly saying "I am encouraging my DBs and LeBeau to play more man coverage" in order to demonstrate that Lake's contributions have in part led to them playing more man coverage, which they self-evidently did.

]

isnt it fair that you be held to the same standards that you hold others to?

so YES you do need to pull up a quote or direct link, otherwise youre claims are "baseless".
Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #33
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Stop antagonizing me. I have already more than proven that Lake has aided the team's ability to play man schemes. Just look at my above post.

1) Lake has improved the team's ability to play man coverage
2) The team has played more man coverage
therefore
3) Lake has contributed to the increase in man coverage that the team plays
Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #34
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,048 Times in 3,061 Posts

my bad. i thought you enjoyed the antagonization game, almost as if it were a hobby.

lake was a great hire.

good observation.

it looks like when lebeau retires we have his successor to call the plays.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #35
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Actually, that would presumably be Keith Butler, especially after he decided not to leave this year. Most beat writers, like Ed Bouchette, speculate that he not only was again reaffirmed as the de factor successor to the defensive coordinator role, he may have even been given a specific date.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #36
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Crap Tony, I wanted to call the plays..

I still say that our def being #1 against the pass, is a huge scientific anomaly. Just one of those things like our lack of turnovers that can't be explained in 2011.

You can say it was Lake or God, or Satan, but it can't be explained. But obviously it didn't carry over to the Bronco game, right Ike?lol
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #37
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

He may have been given a specific date, but getting paid with 2 commas and 6 zeros with minimal pressure isn't all that bad either. Plus it gets hot in Arizona, who wants to go there a side from washed up Steelers.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #38
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Tony, you have 32,000 post, can you slow down so i can catch up a bit?LOL

Gonna put you on a quota per day, lol
Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #39
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Crap Tony, I wanted to call the plays..

I still say that our def being #1 against the pass, is a huge scientific anomaly. Just one of those things like our lack of turnovers that can't be explained in 2011.

You can say it was Lake or God, or Satan, but it can't be explained. But obviously it didn't carry over to the Bronco game, right Ike?lol
How is it such a huge anomaly when the Steelers had the top pass defense in 2008 as well? That's only 3 seasons ago.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #40
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,869 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Are you contesting my claim that the Steelers played more man coverage last year than they have previously under Ray Horton?
You said the Steelers are switching to more man coverage. Yes, I contest that, as they still play primarily zone and off man coverage, but it depends on the situation.

Keenan Lewis played exclusively man to man coverage at Oregon State. When drafted 4 drafts ago, he had to learn how to play off man that the Steelers play and not just chase the same player.

Yes, vs the Patriots the Steelers played primarily press man and rushed Brady as a specific game plan to confuse the Patriots offense. Its because the Steelers play primarily zone defense and it is why Brady was confused.

First, the Steelers were in man coverage exclusively throughout the game, which is a stark contrast from their typical zone scheme

After the game, players on both sides noted Pittsburgh played more man than usual, but it wasn't apparent how often they stayed in that coverage. There were some zone elements on the inside, particularly with at least one safety and then occasionally from linebackers who didn't blitz.
http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/film-bre...z-schemes.html