Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers president Rooney is in support of Saints penalties

Steelers president Rooney is in support of Saints penalties
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 22, 2012

Scott Brown is the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Steelers beat writer and can be reached at 412-481-5432, via e-mail or on Twitter.

Steelers president Art Rooney II applauded NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who dropped the hammer Wednesday on the New Orleans Saints for engaging in and promoting the practice of bounties.

"I think the commissioner is sending a very loud and clear message here," Rooney told the team's website. "Hopefully, the effect is going to be that we will get these kinds of things out of the game. We don't need this in our game."

Goodell suspended Saints coach Sean Payton for a year without pay, general manager Mickey Loomis for eight games in 2012 and former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams indefinitely for violating the league's bounty rule.

The Saints were also fined $500,000 and stripped of their second-round draft picks this year and in 2013 for a lack of instructional control and for misleading or lying during the league's bounty probe.

"People talk about that (bounties) being around for many years," Rooney said. "This sounds like something that is a little more over the line than anything I've ever heard before."

Goodell took steps beyond punishing the Saints in his quest to rid the NFL of bounties.

Every team was informed that their owner and head coach have to meet, with the former informing the latter that bounties are illegal and that if any such operations are in place they must be stopped immediately.

All owners and head coaches have to submit to Goodell, in writing, a pledge that such a meeting occurred before March 30.

Rooney said the Steelers will comply with Goodell's orders.

"I think he is taking steps to making sure it's not going to be part of the game," Rooney said.

Read more: Steelers president Rooney is in support of Saints penalties - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1pr2mS9ei

(So Belichick cheats his way to at least two SuperBowls and doesn't get suspended but Peyton gets suspended for a year. I guess the owner of the Saints didn't cut a big enough check to Goodell. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
Default Re: Steelers president Rooney is in support of Saints penalties

Rooney came out in support right after he double verified that his coaches didnt know of anytihing like this with Steelers, lol
It still isnt enough, they shouldve been hit with 1st round penalties, mainly for next year.

but if the coaches got that, there should be at least 12-24 players getting suspended. It will be funny watching the golden boy Brees playing NT on the D line, lol
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,581 Times in 1,963 Posts

we don't need a bounty system, we have james harrison
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 1,314 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
we don't need a bounty system, we have james harrison
This is exactly how Goodell sees us.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723

We need to get rid of Roger Crapell. He is the worst commissioner that I have EVER seen.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
We need to get rid of Roger Crapell. He is the worst commissioner that I have EVER seen.
Why the Rooneys continue to throw their support behind that turd after all the times he's crapped on them and their franchise is beyond me.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
SteelKid212
Starter

Member Number: 13746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
Why the Rooneys continue to throw their support behind that turd after all the times he's crapped on them and their franchise is beyond me.
Well... you might want to pay closer attention to what Rooney is actually supporting THIS TIME, banning half of the Saints damn staff.

i dont know about you, but i support that decision also. hell yea i do. screw the saints for what they did.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Well the Rooneys first and foremost are about making money. Don't forget that before you put them in place of the statue of liberty. Its still a business and Goodell is making them a shit ton of money. that being said they do, do it differently than others and run a clean org and expect the players to be higher than the rest of the league. Some things we agree with, some things we dont.

But with the Saints, every freaking owner should stand up and ask for the worst possible scenario here. The staff go what was coming to them. Next is the players and the players should be as severe as the staff, and some even more.
The problem will be is, how do you respond 22-27 players, when a good portion is still withthe team. Keeping within the cap space and without forfeiting games? When a player is suspended you do not gain that cap space. So they should have at least 6 -12 games where they can not field a team, or the team will look like the 2nd coming of Marshall where the snot of just getting kicked out of them because it will just be practice squad guys at best.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

The referees let this happen as far as I am concerned. The Saints defensive players were getting away with absolute murder with no penalties called. The Steelers players can't blink an eye without a flag. You think that the Saints winning the Super Bowl that year wasn't sanctioned by someone? It was pre-ordained that they were going to win. Just like the Patriots winning the year after 9-11 happened. Pre-ordained. The game has turned into a joke.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
ANDYMISIU
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13987

Good for Rooney! there is no place for a "pay for injury" type system in the NFL. Favre should have won that game against the Saints! and that injury was on purpose, dirty, dirty... low down dirty aholes. I will forever hate the Saints, they suck.
ANDYMISIU is offline   Reply With Quote