Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #31
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: Hines Ward didn't bring up Big Ben once during retirement PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
-----Is there any one here who could not afford a cab home? Hines made a bad choice. Hopefully he can learn from his mistake. It has nothing to do with money. I am not sure why you would bring that up. Sure, you have never made a bad choice so it is hard for you to understand Hine's error, but there are those of us who have.
-----To me drinking and driving is more about control. Ie not relying on someone else to get you home, and believing you are in control of your body and not subject to the adverse effects of alcohol. Of course you could end up taking someone's life or your own but nobody allows that possibility to enter into their mind. Being wealthy and in control of his life in a major way probably contributed to Hine's drinking and driving. Hope this helps you understand what it is about. (Also Ward had a passenger who had only had two drinks but chose not to let him drive ie. control.)
I brought it up because the poster said we all have been in those situations, I can honestly say I have not. But if people want to split hairs I see no difference between Ben being ACCUSED of rape and Hines pleading himself out of a DUI conviction. Why is it Ben is considered guilty of these accusations when not even enough evidence could support an arrest and yet Hines gets a pass on a DUI which by the grace of the almighty did not turn into a Stallworth situation. I am just saying we are all human and make mistakes yet people here love to point out our QB's more readily than others.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #32
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Would it then be ok if Hines had said he wants a different qb, maybe a pocket passer that can quickly make decisions and get the ball out on time? Or would that undermine the leadership on the team?

Ben's stats in his 3 superbowls combined- 642 yards 3 tds 5 ints.
Qbs of other teams in 3 superbowls combined- 954 yards 7 tds 2 ints.
And please keep in mind the other qbs were playing against one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL. Ben has never outperformed the other team's quarterback in the superbowl. Somehow he is credited by many people with being the sole reason for Pittsburgh's success. I will admit it is hard for me to understand. I don't put people on a pedestal.

The difference is there is only on QB on the field at a time while you can have multiple receivers on the field at once. Seems like Hines had a case of "hurt my feelings" at the time. Its not luck that the best of the receivers out there Calvin and Fitz are both big receivers and did Ben have the luxury of throwing to a big receiver in Plax when he first arrived. So why would he not want a big target then or now?
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #33
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

First off Ben cant be a pocket passer, because he would be killed, mamed, dead, a quad and so forth behind that line. He doesnt run because he is bored, he runs for his life and to make plays. It works if you havent noticed.

"Ben's stats in his 3 superbowls combined- 642 yards 3 tds 5 ints." PLUS 2 SB rings.. I guess he had nothing to do with the game ending drive against the Cardinals?O f course Hines and Holmes did all the work? Because the ball Ben put in Holmes hands twice in the end zone, it just went there by itself.
I'll take 1284yds 6 tds and 10ints with 4 rings any day, and so will Ben.

He has been the only QB since he came into the league that takes the heat away from the rest of the invalids in front of him. No matter what. He compliments his Oline. No other QB before Ben would religously do this.

Peyton Manning berated his Oline after we spanked them in the AFC game. Went to the podium and outright blamed his Oline. That day, someone told the little bitch if, you want the big endorsement deals, you better stop blaming people and taking the blame.

Never, no matter how much ben gets hit after dropping back 2 steps does he blame his Oline. Yet he is a douchebag.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #34
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I brought it up because the poster said we all have been in those situations, I can honestly say I have not. But if people want to split hairs I see no difference between Ben being ACCUSED of rape and Hines pleading himself out of a DUI conviction. Why is it Ben is considered guilty of these accusations when not even enough evidence could support an arrest and yet Hines gets a pass on a DUI which by the grace of the almighty did not turn into a Stallworth situation. I am just saying we are all human and make mistakes yet people here love to point out our QB's more readily than others.
-----I think the poster may be referring to how common DUIs are and that many people who have not been caught but could have been. There are many people who likely drive after a couple drinks with a dinner out that potentially could be over the legal limit. There are 1.4 million DUIs annually according to FBI statistics.
-----You seem to think that a person's behaviour is only inappropriate or reprehensible if decided such in a court of law. If Hines had not been caught that night while drinking and driving does it mean that he did not drink and drive? There is an enormous difference between a person's innocence and the state's ability to make a case against an alleged offender. This is why many victims seek justice in civil rather than criminal claims court. (OJ Simpson was found innocent in criminal but guilty in civil court and most people think he did it.) If Hines had not been charged with drinking and driving but only was alleged to have committed drinking and driving people would still suspect that he may have in fact have behaved inappropriately. If Hines was alleged to have committed drinking and driving twice in less than a year people might think that he had an established pattern of the same behaviour that was immoral and reprehensible. I would be one of them. Please read between the lines.
-----Also, Hines was not convicted of a DUI offense. He pleaded to reckless endangerment. By your own logic Hines was only guilty of reckless endangerment. By your own logic Hines was not under the influence that night because he was not convicted of such an offense. Please try to be consistent.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #35
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
First off Ben cant be a pocket passer, because he would be killed, mamed, dead, a quad and so forth behind that line. He doesnt run because he is bored, he runs for his life and to make plays. It works if you havent noticed.

"Ben's stats in his 3 superbowls combined- 642 yards 3 tds 5 ints." PLUS 2 SB rings.. I guess he had nothing to do with the game ending drive against the Cardinals?O f course Hines and Holmes did all the work? Because the ball Ben put in Holmes hands twice in the end zone, it just went there by itself.
I'll take 1284yds 6 tds and 10ints with 4 rings any day, and so will Ben.

He has been the only QB since he came into the league that takes the heat away from the rest of the invalids in front of him. No matter what. He compliments his Oline. No other QB before Ben would religously do this.

Peyton Manning berated his Oline after we spanked them in the AFC game. Went to the podium and outright blamed his Oline. That day, someone told the little bitch if, you want the big endorsement deals, you better stop blaming people and taking the blame.

Never, no matter how much ben gets hit after dropping back 2 steps does he blame his Oline. Yet he is a douchebag.
-----I never called him a douchebag in any of my posts. That is not the issue. Peyton Manning is also not the issue (although it is ironic you bash Manning for calling out his oline but have no problem with Roethlisberger campaigning for taller wide receivers).
-----The issue is that without Willie Parker's Superbowl record 75 yard td run, AREs 43 yard td pass to Hines, and James Harrison's greatest defensive play in Superbowl history 100 yard int td return Ben has zero rings. You and I will always disagree on this issue I am certain. If those other players did not make those plays do you feel that Ben would have 2 rings? (Keep in mind that James Harrison's first Superbowl start resulted in an int return that was 23 yards short of and 1 td greater than Ben's first Superbowl start when you respond )
Edit: Also the 2005 oline of Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings, Kendall Simmons, and Max Starks was a pretty damn good one.

Last edited by lloydwoodson; 03-21-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Forgot about oline comment.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #36
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
We are talking about the person, not the football player.

Exactly! Now these clowns trying to act like Ben made Hines' career, and actually going out of their way to insult Hines.

Side comments

-I don't remember Ben being any MVP's in any superbowls. I remember a lame duck named Hines earning that honor. Also remember Ben throwing lame ducks into the hands of Seahawk defenders.

-Ur right I'd rather have a douchebag qb that can win than a nice guy who can't hit the broad side of a barn. Having said that, I'll root for Ben on the field but, I wouldn't leave him alone with my wife.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #37
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Based on these comments you'd think some of our members lived in Ben Roethlisberger's home.

The media is the #1 reason Ben's labeled as a douchebag. He wasn't convicted of anything with the rape accusations, but he's stupid for putting himself in that situation to begin with. My opinion is that he's made stupid decisions, like we all have. I don't believe he's an asshole and i'm sure he's grown up a bit since then. I sure as hell wouldn't go labeling someone based on how the media writes about them.

As for the Super Bowl performances some people use as ammunition against him:

If it wasn't for his playoff performances, we'd be sitting here discussing our FOUR Super Bowl rings. Okay, i'm done derailing this thread. Hines Ward may not have brought up Ben once during his conference, but he's already acknowledged his appreciation for Ben and every man who threw to him once, he didn't need to do it again. He's one of the best, and he'll be in Canton sooner rather than later.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #38
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

some of the comments are in this thread are so ridiculous i'm almost embarrassed reading through them. Absurd. I'm fine with our elite QB, both the man and the football general and can't believe everyone else isn't. You a-holes can have your Tommy Maddox's and Mark Malones then and go wallow in your own misery.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #39
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I'm sure Ben was an asshole at times. It's funny what alcohol can do to you, and honestly, most of the events in which the media perceived him as an asshole, he was drunk!

At one point or another, we'll all be in our mid to late twenties, and i'm sure we'll all get shit-faced a few times. Some obviously already experienced this first hand, it's the partying days! And of course we'll all make mistakes, only our mistakes won't be publicized like that of a celebrity. There's always going to be a few who hold a grudge, it's a business, and Ben obviously wasn't making smart decisions. No one is perfect.

Let's take a look at Michael Vick:

He murdered animals, and a large portion of the Eagles fan base didn't agree with his signing.

Oh wait, Vick was proven to have killed and fought animals, Ben wasn't proven to have done anything at all. My bad

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #40
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,055 Times in 886 Posts

A locker room full of egotistical "Type-A" personalities is bound to be a powder keg of emotions and opinions, but like any other group of employees in the world, you don't have to love each other, you just have to work together.

Over the years I can think of several people I've worked with who I wouldn't waste a good piss on if they were on fire.
But they knew their job and knew how to get it done and that's all that mattered.
We were cordial, we worked well together and at the end of the day they went to their home and I went to mine.

It would be nice if everyone could go out for beers together after work, but it isn't a requirement for getting things done.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote