Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Is social media good or bad for players, or should opinionated posts be limited?
Good 6 66.67%
Bad 1 11.11%
Limited posting 2 22.22%
Your own thoughts (specify in post) 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,615 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Lightbulb Steelers players: Social media

With players like Ryan Clark, LaMarr Woodley, James Harrison and Baron Batch regularly using social media outlets like Twitter and Facebook to reach out to fans, a flow of negative and positive reactions from fans has spewed into the web.

My Question:

How do you feel about players using social media outlets to reach out to the fans?

Also, Woodley chimed into the Sean Payton/Saints situation in relation to the Patriots "Spygate" controversy years back. I'd like to know your opinion on this post as well:

http://www.facebook.com/LaMarrWoodle...01426524934413
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,752 Posts
Default Re: Steelers players: Social media

It's called the first amendment they're free to say whatever they want. imo
Some just need to be a little smarter at what they say.

Woodley has a point though. The cheats*/goodell hurt the integrity of the nfl just as bad if not worse by CHEATING and sweeping it all under the rug.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post

Woodley has a point though. The cheats*/goodell hurt the integrity of the nfl just as bad if not worse by CHEATING and sweeping it all under the rug.
I agree with all of this, it's free speech, but the first amendment is to protect free speech from the government not from your employer, so I could see the Steelers putting an end to it.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Well the question wasn't about First Amendment rights. Wait let me go and re read it......

Nope, it was how do we fell about it, not do you tihnk it violates someone first amendment rights. Besides put it in the contract, they sign it they dont tweet etc.

Ok enough about being a wise guy tonight, I hung around with the wife to much today.
-------------------------------------

Social media is probably one of the worse things out there. Here is why....
People tend to go and type what they feel right than and there without thinking at all. Lets face it, these athletes are not the brightest guy s around or they would be buiilding rockets or something. Most love to create a controversy and some I see like to take shots at Goodel to see how far they can push him and get away with it.

Personally, I do it in emails a lot when someone pisses me off, I let it rip. Of course I soon realize, that the emotion set it off without thinking it through. So I learned to do a rewrite or 2 lol.. You tweet, the damage is done, and now your backing your way out of the corner you drove into.

Goodel rightfully so, needs to unleash holy hell on the Saints. Ithink people have said enough to make the dufus understand the PATS got away with murder and he won't let it happen here. Plus this is willful attempts to injure. Say what you want, cheating vs attampts to injure? No way this is far worse.
The players involved should get exactly what the head coach is getting. BUT by doing this and leveling the Saints for a year, only gets them a top pick next year, therefore next years #1 shouldve been the penalty as they get a reward plus full strenght next year. Big quesiton, how do you pay 24 replacements under the cap structure. There is no way they can field a team if the just penalties come down.

I still stand by the fact that Brees and others knew this, and I would not be surprised thatthey did toss in some coin into the pot. His repsonse was to specific but left an opening to circle back and say he knew but he didnt know.
I wish the Steelers plyaed these guys this year and unleash Harrison on Brees. with a free pass.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,765 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post

True, and I find most of it amusing, except when players are trying to pimp some kind of product, place or band they have a financial interest in.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Well than its ok, lol Got to make the dough you know.

Like Brandon Jacobs and pro-nrg.com tweets, shirts in interviews etc. Good stuff, onli issue is, he is without a team currently.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

I think it's OK to post about the weather or something, asking the fans if they're ready for a game, what does everybody think of a trade or something that happened....stuff like that just to have some communication with the fans and community.

BUT..
Some Steeler players have over-stepped that on numerous times now by commenting their "opinions" on league rulings, teammates, opposing players, etc. None of this has done ANY GOOD whatsoever. All it will bring is additional league scrutiny and in other instances, make them look like buffoons when they lose or are wrong about something.
If i was Tomlin...i would just institute a social media rule. NO tweeting, facebooking, or whatever about teammates, league rulings, opposing players..stuff like that. If you do, you're gonna get fined.
You want to talk about other casual stuff, go ahead.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote