Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ed: Steelers Reportedly Sign 2 From WVU

Ed: Steelers Reportedly Sign 2 From WVU
Tuesday, 20 March 2012 08:14
Written by Ed Bouchette
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ign-2-from-wvu

Good morning,

We have the first public citing of visist for the Steelers, only these aren’t taking place in Pittsburgh. Cornerback William Gay visited the Arizona Cardinals Monday and will visit the Tennessee Titans today, the first known visits by a Steelers free agent.
Can the Steelers afford to lose Gay? Yep. He did not play as poorly as many would have us believe, but he’s just a guy out there and they have others who can replace him: Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. They’ll probably pick another up in the draft as well.

Given their druthers, the Steelers would prefer to have Gay back but for little more than minimum wage. Overpaying Gay would never make much sense because the youngsters should be able to play at least to his level. Gay was at his best when he played the nickel in 2008 and 2010. He was at his worst in 2009 when Bryant McFadden left as a free agent and he moved up the depth chart. The Steelers saw enough of him that season to bring McFadden back in 2010 through a trade with Arizona.

Gay and McFadden are merely the latest cornerbacks who made very little impact with the Steelers. They have had no Pro Bowl cornerback since Rod Woodson after the 1996 season. That’s 15 years without a Pro Bowl cornerback. Think about what the Steelers have done over the past 15 years and then remember that the next time someone says how important cornerbacks are in the modern NFL.
Cornerbacks are only important if the pass rush is weak. While the New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles send their cornerbacks to Pro Bowls, neither has won a Super Bowl since Joe Namath.

A great cornerback is nice to have, don’t get me wrong, but you can win in this game with good, even average cornerbacks if they have good safeties behind them and a good pass rush – and that pretty much sums up the Steelers defense for a decade.
Remember, no chat today (I have other things on the docket), but we will conduct one Wednesday at 1:30.

Now, onto some stuff:

--- Report from WVU: Steelers sign former West Virginia tight end Will Johnson, bring back Wes Lyons. Click here: Former Mountaineer Will Johnson Signs with Pittsburgh Steelers - WVU Mountaineer Sports: Basketball | Football | N
--- YOU: You heard it here first:

1. Tebow goes to the Pats to reunite with McDaniels who drafted him in Round 1 when he coached there.

2. Denver gets Wallace for $5 million to shore up Manning's receiving corps.
ME: Ok, then, let’s move onto other matters.
--- YOU: The Redskins and Cowboys are being
punished for overspending during the uncapped year. At least, I think that's what it was saying. If so, obviously "uncapped" doesn't mean "you can spend whatever you want," or something like that. None of the articles I've seen are at all clear about the rationale for all this. Perhaps in an upcoming column you could explain it to us bears of little brain, please?

ME: It’s not you with the little brains. The NFL and its union, as part of the CBA, reached agreement that the final year of their contract would be uncapped if they could not negotiate an extension. That occurred in 2010. Uncapped meant that teams could spend as much or as little as they wanted on their players in 2010. However, Roger Goodell admittedly warned his teams many times that year they could not take advantage of the uncapped year in a way that would not pass the smell test during a capped year. In other words, the NFL commissioner was colluding with teams to hold salaries down. When that happened in baseball, the courts made the league pay through the nose. Not only that, but the contracts in question by the Redskins and Cowboys were APPROVED by the NFL office at the time. The last I saw, both the Cowboys and Redskins – especially the Redskins – were contemplating a possible response, perhaps even a legal one. However, for some reason the NFLPA honchos approved of Goodell’s docking the two teams salary cap space and redistributing it to 28 teams. The lawyers have to be beating on doors of the teams in Washington and Dallas.

--- YOU: I think Mike Tomlin has two years left on his current contract. If that's correct, here's my question. The Steelers have historically extended Tomlin and Cowher with two years remaining on their contract, which I believe Tomlin has. Is it possible that they come to him between the draft and training camp to start negotiations, and he says "no thanks" due to the Bruce Arians debacle? I hope that doesn't happen; and the Steelers give Tomlin as good a chance as any organization to get another ring. But if it Tomlin did turn them down, or negotiate for total control of his staff, or even make them sweat for a year - I'd understand.

ME: Actually, I believe he has two years and an option left.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Ed: Steelers Reportedly Sign 2 From WVU

Former Mountaineer Will Johnson Signs with Pittsburgh Steelers
Posted: Mar 19, 2012 2:25 PM
Posted by Geoff Coyle - email
http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/1...burgh-steelers

MORGANTOWN -

Will Johnson is reaping the benefits of hard work and perseverance Monday, having signed a contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers just days after impressing scouts at West Virginia University's Pro Day.

On Friday, the former Mountaineer receiver and tight end showed off the results of months of training both in the weight room and on the field. His workout was such a success that he received a special visit when it was over before he even left the Caperton Indoor Practice Facility.

It came from Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert.

"When I got done running my routes, I was over there talking to [Tomlin] and he wanted me to keep it a secret so the other teams didn't know," Johnson said as he traveled back to North Carolina from Pittsburgh. "They said they liked what I did, they liked how I look and they wanted to bring me up and sign me."

This was no ordinary scout. The head coach and general manager, the two individuals with the most control over personnel decisions, wanted Johnson on their team.

He had just finished benching 225 pounds 30 times – the most anyone put up all day – and an agent on site clocked him at 4.49 seconds in his 40-yard-dash, though he never got an official time from the scouts on hand.

His routes were crisp and even had former teammates buzzing about how well he was performing. Anyone who knows Johnson would have first been struck by how jacked, for lack of better words, he appeared. He attributes much of his progression to the work he's put in with the popular CrossFit workout regimen.

"I recommend that to anyone and everybody," says Johnson. "It definitely helped my body and you can tell. I only weigh one pound heavier than I did last year, but I look a lot bigger. I weighed in at 242 and last year I wasn't nearly as strong as I am this year."

Johnson felt confident a year ago that he had a good showing with scouts in attendance, but the way the lockout went into effect shortly after left him without a home.

He lost contact with the organizations that were interested and when the lockout lifted, it was difficult to get back on their radars.

In the meantime, he needed money to sustain himself and to continue to train. He got three jobs and began working as much as he could at crafts that did not give him the satisfaction of playing football.

"They were all temporary. I was doing interior landscaping, working at a shipping warehouse and working with light technicians installing lights," he says. "Doing that and working out was definitely a grind."

Despite the tough times and long hours, Johnson never considered giving up on his dream and in December he went into full training mode so that when his next opportunity arose, he could seize it.

"It was one of the toughest times I've gone through, honestly, with so much uncertainty and not knowing where you're going to end up or if you're even going to get a chance. The only thing I could do is just keep working at it," Johnson says. "It's a blessing to be able to say I signed with the Steelers, so I'm going to take it and run with the opportunity."

The Ohio native feels that his situation is made even better due to the fact that he has other former Mountaineers on his team. Ryan Mundy and Mortty Ivy are currently with the Steelers and Wes Lyons was signing with Pittsburgh at the same time Johnson was on Monday.

"There are people to get advice from and keep you going straight, so whatever I have to do to make this roster will help," says Johnson.

A player who filled multiple roles at WVU, Johnson believes his position coach will be Kirby Wilson, who is in charge of running backs. He has not been told specifically what his spot on the field will consist of, but he is preparing to play an H-back position where he can block for rushers, run the ball or run routes out of the backfield.

At this point, he is prepared for whatever is asked. He knows what a year without football is like, and he has no intentions of going back.

"Not at all. I plan on working harder now," he says. "It eases my mind that I'm actually working toward a specific goal now."

Johnson will report to Pittsburgh sometime after the NFL Draft to continue chasing his dream. For now, he has a good place to start.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Denver gets Wallace for 5million?

There goes the syringe and sniffing antics again on this board, lol.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Johnson replaces Johnson.

Nice strength (30 reps) and speed (4.49) and also known for great hands. David Johnson please hand over your jersey to Will Johnson.

Will Johnson youtube

Looks like the Steelers are sticking to the H-back role instead of a Fullback.
Jamie McCoy
David Johnson
Will Johnson
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
dave n'at
Water Boy

Member Number: 15817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post

Nice strength (30 reps) and speed (4.49) and also known for great hands. David Johnson please hand over your jersey to Will Johnson.

Will Johnson youtube

Jamie McCoy
David Johnson
Will Johnson
dude had some really nice key blocks in that video. a few nice td catches as well. certainly seems to have a bigger upside than david johnson.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post

Will Johnson youtube

Jamie McCoy
David Johnson
Will Johnson
Geez, at least wait until after the draft before assuring everybody else in the dark of exactly what the Steelers' plans are.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
67 calsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21936
Default steelers signings

The steelers have sign Wes Lyons and Will johnson.Johnson worked out at west viginia pro day(former player) is 6-2 242lb and ran a 4.49.Thinks he might be seen by team as hback.GOOD BYE DAIVD JOHNSON
67 calsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598
Default Re: steelers signings

Maybe Wes can step up, isn't he something like 6' 8"?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
67 calsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21936
Default Re: steelers signings

6-8 235LBS.
67 calsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Denver gets Wallace for 5million?

There goes the syringe and sniffing antics again on this board, lol.
Naw, that's pure crack and whack.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote