Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
Default So what happened to our team?

I haven't been able to pay close attention to everything that's been going on with roster changes lately but I'm having trouble keeping up. So far I understand Ward is gone, Mendenhall isnt going to be playing this year, from what it sounds like Wallace may not be a steeler this coming year, William gay is gone. Have we even filled any of these holes or are we counting on doing this in the draft? The draft should be dedicated to fixing our offensive line. I dont think it is completely necessary to keep Wallace, as good as he is we still have Antonio Brown, but if we don't keep wallace and we sure as hell better pick up a good running back somewhere because were going to have to turn back into a running team with ward and wallace gone (if wallace is in fact not going to be with us) To me it looks like we've unloaded a lot of guys and not picked anyone up, can someone fill me in on exactly what the hell is going on? thanks!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,450 Times in 599 Posts
Default Re: So what happened to our team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
I haven't been able to pay close attention to everything that's been going on with roster changes lately but I'm having trouble keeping up. So far I understand Ward is gone, Mendenhall isnt going to be playing this year, from what it sounds like Wallace may not be a steeler this coming year, William gay is gone. Have we even filled any of these holes or are we counting on doing this in the draft? The draft should be dedicated to fixing our offensive line. I dont think it is completely necessary to keep Wallace, as good as he is we still have Antonio Brown, but if we don't keep wallace and we sure as hell better pick up a good running back somewhere because were going to have to turn back into a running team with ward and wallace gone (if wallace is in fact not going to be with us) To me it looks like we've unloaded a lot of guys and not picked anyone up, can someone fill me in on exactly what the hell is going on? thanks!
What's going on? This is the most severe year we've ever had when it comes to our money within' the salary cap. We are looking from the bottom, up. 120-some million in debt with the cap, most of our elite and core players were forced to restructure their contract's to help out with the salary cap and some old elite faces have retired.

Our top free agent and #1 priority Mike Wallace is in danger of signing with another football team, but due to his large asking price and our 1st round tender we hit him with, his new team would have to give him his pay day PLUS hand over their #1 draft pick in this upcoming draft.

That's where we stand. We will make NO moves in FA other than possibly cutting more players down the line to free up more space to look for immediate & future replacements in April.

As for replacing Gay, we had some significant movement last year with our corner positions. Keenan Lewis stepped up and showed he's finally ready for the big league's and Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen could make the jump to starter this upcoming season as well. Worst case scenario, they will offer some nastiness to our Nickel/Dime packages, as well as Special Teams play.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Great then I say if someone takes wallace use that #1 pick to grab us a full back and from there fill up our O-line and leave it at that, if not and we keep wallace, we'll still have a good passing game and a decent running back in redman/moore and still mend our o-line in the draft, I almost think I'd rather see us get that #1 pick and use it on a running back than keep wallace, I'm sick of us not having a running game I'm sure there would be a good first round running back available. It always seems like we end up with a good roster somehow, I'm not all that worried. I Still wish there were a way to have our cake and eat it to with the wallace situation, why is it I'm the only one here saying a good RB should be top priority right up there with our O line?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Because a first round RB would be a waste without a great run blocking o-line.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
dbsfgyd1
Water Boy

Member Number: 15822

Look for a vast improvement along the Oline now that Arians is gone. His system as far as an olineman goes us sucked. Like they say, you can't play a bad piece of music good no matter how good of a player you are. Seriously, it always astounded me how a coach, with over thirty years of experience, always had under achieving linemen.
dbsfgyd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

RB is not anywhere near a top priority. That is why no one else is saying it. RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. We have Redman, Dwyer, Batch and Clay. And possibly Moore. That is 5 RBs. We do not need any more especially early in the draft. They are all serviceable if the Steelers can get that Oline shored up.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

I believe Wallace will stay with us this year......not hold out.....and play it out. No one as of now seems interested unless someone comes out of left field all of a sudden and he's likely pricing himself out of the market.
Barring injury next year...he signs with someone else after next season.

Things are going to be much more interesting though, as it will be fascinating watching Todd Haley work a new offense.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
jwmann2
Water Boy

Member Number: 18374

Bengals are in the same position as are plenty of other teams. Don't fret. There's still going to be a football season and the Steelers will once again be a playoff contender.
jwmann2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
Darthslayrr
Water Boy

Member Number: 20844

Hope Wallace decision doesn't take so long as it leaves us with 2 receivers Brown and Sanders, the latter that can't make it thru a season.
Darthslayrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Somebody has done screwed with that boys head because he is no way worth Fitz money and never will be! None of them are worth all this cash! Some one needs to punch his agent in the head...