Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,270 Times in 1,288 Posts
Default Re: Timmons a Bust? Your thoughts?

I wasn't aware that making the popularity contest known as the pro bowl was a prerequisite for being considered as successful.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,098 Posts

people get irate when everybody disagrees with them and their posts.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Not irate, just not hearing anything that is making me feel differently. pro bowls arent the measuring stick but impact plays are. Harrison, Woodley, Troy, Clark make impact plays, usually one or more a game. How many does Timmons make. Again, if he was a 3rd rounder I would say ok, he is producing as he should. But as a 1st rounder going into year 6, havent seen what we were told he can do.

he isnt versitle, he does not pick it up when others are out of the game, cant stay on fleet rbs or TE's, doesnt get interceptions, other than 2009 he doesnt harrass the qb, very rarely causes fumbles or recovers them. What are you guys seeing that I am not?
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,014 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
#1 defense in total yards, passing, and scoring.

lebeau said timmons had a great years, especially considering he had to play 3 of the 4 linebacker positions.

i'll take lebeaus word for it.
Took the words right out of my mouth and I was going to post something very similiar. Even though I love Timmons and feel he could be an absolute FREAK OF NATURE, he's dissapointed in his overall production when it comes to numbers and he does indeed need to work on how to control his body tempo that match's his feet since he's such a freak athlete, he's certainly no bust.

That said, this Pittsburgh Steelers defense is one of the most complex defense in the entire NFL. Timmons was asked all last season to move out to a position where he isn't comfortable and held down the fort for All Pro players such as James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley. He was most forced to accustom his game to not only be a rush outside linebacker, but valuable in his coverage skills as well.

As Tony up from me said, I'll take Dick LeBeau's word for it, who consistently, week after week, all season, praised Lawrence Timmons and how much value he means to the football team considering what he was asked to do.

Lawrence Timmons WILL have a breakout year in 2012. Mark my words.

Last edited by StainlessStill; 04-03-2012 at 08:38 PM.
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
Sean95m
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18937

The op obviously didn't watch the games last year and not to mention Timmons played almost half the season out of position at outside linebacker due to injuries and a suspension. And he held the fort down!
Sean95m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post

he isnt versitle, he does not pick it up when others are out of the game, cant stay on fleet rbs or TE's, doesnt get interceptions, other than 2009 he doesnt harrass the qb, very rarely causes fumbles or recovers them. What are you guys seeing that I am not?
What are we seeing that you're not? First off, check yourself into your nearest eye doctor and A.) invest into some bifocals B.) invest into contacts or C.) invest into laser eye surgery.

To call Lawrence Timmons non-versatile is an absolute hoot. This guy plays the weakside linebacking duty in our system and is asked to virtually cover one section of the field in his pass-covering capabilities, which (how ironic) is where he makes most of his game.

Not only that, but he played both outside linebacking positions this season (along his will-linebacking spot in our 3-4) and even though he wasn't barreling around the edge like James Harrison and causing fumble after fumble, he rotated all these positions all year and gave us a sense of reliability and efficiantly, something 1st round draft picks are asked and expected to do.

I understand the whole "numbers & stats game" but to call Timmons non-versatile is an down right travesty.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #17
Steelers5895
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean95m View Post
The op obviously didn't watch the games last year and not to mention Timmons played almost half the season out of position at outside linebacker due to injuries and a suspension. And he held the fort down!
Chad Brown made the pro bowl in his 3rd season playing out of position filling in for Greg Lloyd as a 3rd round pick. Timmons was non-existant filling in for Woodley and Harrison in year 5 of his career as a 1st round pick. It was to the point they just put in Chris Carter and suffered with no pass rush to put Timmons back to his position.

Larry Foote was more of a ball hawk and made more big plays in the same position then Timmons has in the pre-Timmons era.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
Steelers5895
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
What are we seeing that you're not? First off, check yourself into your nearest eye doctor and A.) invest into some bifocals B.) invest into contacts or C.) invest into laser eye surgery.

To call Lawrence Timmons non-versatile is an absolute hoot. This guy plays the weakside linebacking duty in our system and is asked to virtually cover one section of the field in his pass-covering capabilities, which (how ironic) is where he makes most of his game.

Not only that, but he played both outside linebacking positions this season (along his will-linebacking spot in our 3-4) and even though he wasn't barreling around the edge like James Harrison and causing fumble after fumble, he rotated all these positions all year and gave us a sense of reliability and efficiantly, something 1st round draft picks are asked and expected to do.

I understand the whole "numbers & stats game" but to call Timmons non-versatile is an down right travesty.
with all the action coming his way there should be more than ample opportunities to make a game changing play. he made none. Yeah he played outside linebacker in other players absense but was useless and did nothing.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
with all the action coming his way there should be more than ample opportunities to make a game changing play. he made none. Yeah he played outside linebacker in other players absense but was useless and did nothing.
You do realize that the entire 2011 Pittsburgh Steelers defense underachieved when it came to turnovers, right? We had what? A total of 15 turnovers the ENTIRE 2011 football season and you're going to come down on a guy being asked to play 3 solid positions throughout a 16 game schedule?

To put things into perspective and if you want to compare Timmons' numbers to the other elite players on the Steelers defense that pretty much did squat in the "game changing" department:

Ryan Clark:
Tackles- 100
Sacks- 1
Interceptions- 1
Pass Defensed- 5

Lawrence Timmons:
Tackles- 93
Sacks- 2
Interceptions- 1
Pass Defensed- 5

Troy Polamalu:
Tackles- 91
Sacks- 1
Interceptions- 2
Passed Defensed- 14

James Farrior:
Tackles- 78
Sacks- 2
Interceptions- 0
Pass Defensed - 0

and since you compared Larry Foote....

Larry Foote:
Tackles: 47
Sacks: 1.5
Interceptions: 0
Pass Defensed: 1

As you can see, Timmons' overall numbers pretty much match the production of our other elite's playing alongside him on our defense (who had the luxery of playing their respected, natural position all season.)

For the record, Timmons had a monstrous year in 2010, worthy of a Pro-Bowl appearance with a WHOPPING 135 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 interception & 2 forced fumbles, not to mention 9 pass's defended.

If you're more worried about judging our team by the numbers of Pro-Bowls rather than their significance to the overall unit, then you are TRULY not understand the Black & Gold philosophy. Lawrence Timmons played his ass off last year doing a helluva job at what he was asked to do, full of 10 other underachievers on defense.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

First that POS Flacco comes out today and says he is the best QB in the NFL. Now to top it off Timmons is a bust?

There goes that Baltimore weed stash again!
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote