Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936
Default 2012 Final Mock Draft

1. Mike Adams, OT
2. Kelechi Osemeli, OG
3. Tank Carder, ILB
4. Nick-Jean Baptiste, NT
5. Chris Rainey, WR
6. Randy Bullock, K
7(a). Matt Merletti, S
7(b). Jarret Lee, QB
7(c). Chad Diehl, FB
7(d). DeAngelo Tyson, DT

Rounds 1-2: Adds versatility and quality to our o-line.
Round 3: Carder is a playmaker with the speed to play ILB in this defense and he has expressed his interest to play in Pittsburgh. What more could you want?
Round 4: Only question with this pick is if Baptiste will fall this low
Round 5: Rainey was a hit or miss player in Florida but he caused mismatches on offense and is one of the best special teams players in college. That and the Tomlin era love former Gator players.
Round 6: Suisham has just enough leg strength... to stand up. I cant make 40+ yard field goals either, but that's an expectation in the NFL.
Round 7(a): Merletti has the ability to go much earlier but 2 major surgeries in the past year make him hardly draftable, but a 7th round pick isn't much of a gamble when you have 4 of them.
7(b): When I looked through the late prospects for qb it came down to Lee and Jacory Harris. Easy pick there, Harris gets complacent or flustered in nearly half of his games and rely on a great core of receivers to bail him out.
7(c): Haley likes to impose his will in the ground game, and so do the Rooneys. To do that consistently you need a fullback. One who has lined up in the backfield before. None of that h-back bulls*** they try to feed you. Diehl is not much of a receiver, but he is a hardnosed run blocker that pushes piles.
7(d): Tyson would add some depth at DE and possibly NT if needed.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah
Default Re: 2012 Final Mock Draft

1 is ok
2 I love
3 is sweet
4 he will be there, he's projected between 4th-6th rounds
5 Hate it... much better WRs available
6 love it
7 meh
comp1
comp2 B-E-A-UUUtiful.....
comp3 camp fodder but good pick
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Mike Adams - Really don't like taking a boom or bust guy in the first. A Bob Massie or Mitchell Schwartz in the 2nd might be a safer pick.

Osemele - could play RT as well as G. Nice versatile guy. Could never really be a great pulling G however.

Tank Carder - we need ILB help and in the 3rd why not.

Baptiste -should be there unless the Raiders get silly and take him in the 3rd. Would like to get Baptiste later.

Rainey - love the guy and round 5 would be nice for what he brings.

Randy Bullock - would be great. Would be nice if we could get him in the 7th but the 6th would be playing it safe and almost guaranteeing him a roster spot.

7th round guys not to familiar with but DL depth is a good idea, and looking at a FB couldn't hurt but still believe the Steelers are sticking with the H-back.

Of course you can't get everything in a draft, but I do believe we will take a true WR, and CB for sure. And a very good possibility of a RB as well.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Mike Adams - Really don't like taking a boom or bust guy in the first. A Bob Massie or Mitchell Schwartz in the 2nd might be a safer pick.

Osemele - could play RT as well as G. Nice versatile guy. Could never really be a great pulling G however.

Tank Carder - we need ILB help and in the 3rd why not.

Baptiste -should be there unless the Raiders get silly and take him in the 3rd. Would like to get Baptiste later.

Rainey - love the guy and round 5 would be nice for what he brings.

Randy Bullock - would be great. Would be nice if we could get him in the 7th but the 6th would be playing it safe and almost guaranteeing him a roster spot.

7th round guys not to familiar with but DL depth is a good idea, and looking at a FB couldn't hurt but still believe the Steelers are sticking with the H-back.

Of course you can't get everything in a draft, but I do believe we will take a true WR, and CB for sure. And a very good possibility of a RB as well.
I disagree with you on Osemele and he has the look and ability to be a pulling guard and I haven't seen any tape that shows me otherwise. I strongly doubt a runningback will happen at all, but I certainly could see a CB. Runningback is thin as ever this year and Pead and Miller would be the only feasible options. In Redman I trust though with a little Batch and Dwyer sprinkled on top!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

I've been saying for awhile now that i would rather see Mike Adams get drafted before 24, just so we dont have to take the risk. I would rather see Hightower here in the first. Osemele's name is really being mentioned on a lot of these boards and i hear great things so i'm lovin this pick. If Baptise is there, take him. Chris Rainey reminds me of Percy Harvin but less physical. I'd rather see a taller possession reciever picked around here. The rest of the picks are always toss ups. BPA is all that matters but i like seeing a FB being chosen.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

if Adams is on the board when we draft i bet we take him
Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarin View Post
I disagree with you on Osemele and he has the look and ability to be a pulling guard and I haven't seen any tape that shows me otherwise. I strongly doubt a runningback will happen at all, but I certainly could see a CB. Runningback is thin as ever this year and Pead and Miller would be the only feasible options. In Redman I trust though with a little Batch and Dwyer sprinkled on top!
Just basing my opinion of Osemele on one source right now at cbssports.com that stated in him some negatives.

"Downfield: A short-area blocker with limited range and doesn't consistently get to the second level. Will play undisciplined at times, especially in space. Lacks a finishing attitude. "

"Pulling/trapping: Wasn't asked to do much pulling at the college level. Struggles to be consistent blocking in motion and doesn't have the natural foot quickness to cover a lot of ground. "

The full analysis is here

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...elechi-osemele

and there really is a surprising amount of negatives under each category from penalties, lackadaisical play, to weight problems.

No doubt he would be a mauler at RG or RT but I must say he would not be the ideal athletic pulling G the team would need. Zeitler, Silatolu, & Brandon Brooks would all fit that bill a little better.

I"m hoping for a RT like a Massie or Schwartz in the 2nd and a Brandon Brooks or Brandon Washington in the 3rd scenario.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Also finally found some more info on Baptiste who is getting no pub at all to the point you wonder if he even exists.

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rank...jean-baptiste/

Not the most positive things to say about him in the negatives section I see and that might push him way down the draft.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

I don't think Brooks will fall to us in the 3rd as I see him safe to take in the 2nd, but I like Washington. Hightower does not fit our defense in the least. Totally useless outside the box and we ask our inside linebackers to cover far too much. Like the drive and he is a great tackler but he would be abused by any accurate quarterback. Hightower would be a step in the wrong direction for our defense.