Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #21
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994
Default Re: Tomlin riding coattails of Cowher?

One could say Cowher rode off the coattails of Chuck Noll. Cowher inherited Lloyd, Woodson, Dawson, Lake, Eric Green, O Donnell, Foster, Searcy I think too. Plus a half dozen others who were a big part of the 1995 Super Bow run. Can't help what players you are left when you take over, its what you do with them.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #22
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,932 Times in 1,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
Ugh. This is what's wrong with Steelers fans.

Timmons was a wasted first round pick?
I said misfire, not wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
What the ****? Lawrence Timmons is one of the better inside linebackers in the game. Rashard hasn't been what the staff probably expected when they drafted him, but he's an upper level starter in the league.. Hardly a "misfiring".
Shard was taken before CJ2K, Forte and Rice. I understand the breaks of the game, differrent team strategy's, hindsight, etc., but that's still a massive misfire.

Timmons is less of a misfire since 07 was a weak draft and he has turned into a quality LB. However, considering Woodley is better, was drafter later and the Steelers could have used a different position player that year (OL/DB/WR), it's a slight misfire.

Leon Hall, Dwayne Bowe, Joe Staley, Eric Weddle... all could have been Steelers and fit just as well or better than Timmons.

I'm not saying Tomlin blew that pick, it's just worth noting that his first ever draft pick is debatable.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan View Post
You realize we were a top passing defense this year because teams stopped throwing and ran the hell out of the ball against us right? The Texans only passed for 21 times for 138 yards because Arians ran for 155 of the Texans 180 yards rushing; and it goes on Ravens dropped 170, the shitty Colts put up 97, the Jags put up 133, the Bengals put up over a 100 and the list goes on.
Pretty sure the Steelers also led the league in YPA, and possibly QB rating against as well, so it's not just the yardage, smartass. And given the weakness of the pass rush this year, it makes the performance of the secondary MORE impressive. Hilarious. It may not be safe to predict the continued greatness of the secondary into future years, but to deny the credit that they deserved for last year is absurd. Also, if I recall correctly, the secondary in 2010 was either 1st or 2nd in YPA and QBR as well, or something close to that. The reason their yardage was greater then was because they had a historically great rushing defense.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Also needs To show a little passion he looks like hes getting bored with his job.
Are you kidding me? Every single post-game press conference he does, he looks like he just got done crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
So far most of those picks have worked out with the exception of Urbik.
I wouldn't say with the exception of Urbik. The only problem with Urbik is that they gave up on him one year too early in favor of keeping Tony Hills I believe. Urbik is now a quality starter for the Bills.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Grumpy

Tebow torches the Steeler D time and time again(then in OT) and people are give the OP crap? I've got news for some of you the Secondary had been sub par for quite a while. The Steelers are great in many areas but the numbers DID lie as far as how competent the Pass defense was coming into the playoffs and a Wildcat QB looked like Joe Montana in January.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #26
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,054 Times in 1,789 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Tebow torches the Steeler D time and time again(then in OT) and people are give the OP crap? I've got news for some of you the Secondary had been sub par for quite a while. The Steelers are great in many areas but the numbers DID lie as far as how competent the Pass defense was coming into the playoffs and a Wildcat QB looked like Joe Montana in January.
I guess the lack of Ryan Clark, our leading defense player, didn't play a part in anything at all? Pretty sure Cortez Allen was out as well.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,932 Times in 1,780 Posts

Quote:
Tebow torches the Steeler D time and time again...I've got news for some of you the Secondary had been sub par for quite a while.
Evidence of this is SB XLIII and the following season (2009) when the D continually melted down in the 2nd half/4th Quarter (Cincy, Oakland, KC...).

Again, such is not to say Tomlin is alone in the blame or that he is a bad coach, it is just worth noting a pattern of clear weakness.

Cowher's teams had flaws for sure, mostly on offense. Perhaps I'm just remembering the old days too fondly, but I believe those problems were mostly due to talent level deficiencies (which is somewhat forgivable given the continual low draft picks and losses in FA).

Cowher only had 3 years of Big Ben running his offense (and Bettis was broken down/retired by then) and one of those years was the SB hangover/BB bad luck w/ injuries year.

The one thing I give Tomlin a world of credit for is motivating the Steelers what seems like every other year, usually after they have a 'rough loss/season'.

The 07 Steelers played quite well without Cowher and might have made a deeper playoff run had Willie not gotten hurt, the 08 Steelers responded masterfully to the playoff loss to the Jags and the 10 Steelers shook off the hangover season and nearly won it all again.

That kind of ability to focus a veteran group, or allow them to regain their focus, is reliant on a great HC and it bodes well for 2012.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #28
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I guess the lack of Ryan Clark, our leading defense player, didn't play a part in anything at all? Pretty sure Cortez Allen was out as well.
Taylor and Gay looked like pathetic in that game, Clark would have helped but Tebow knew he could exploit An aggressive 8-9 man in the box approach.Clark or Allen wouldn't have saved a team that refuses to fix what's broken (O-Ilne&CBs)
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #29
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,054 Times in 1,789 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Taylor and Gay looked like pathetic in that game, Clark would have helped but Tebow knew he could exploit An aggressive 8-9 man in the box approach.Clark or Allen wouldn't have saved a team that refuses to fix what's broken (O-Ilne&CBs)
Our first year using newly drafted, young corner backs and we make it to the playoff's with the #1 passing defense. In my opinion, that tell's a story, and without Clark, a defensive leader, the team fell apart.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #30
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,046 Times in 3,730 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

good arguments on both sides. but I think this has been Tomlin's team since he took over. He's earned respect. I do still miss that fire we saw from Cowher though.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote