Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Pens acquire G Tomas Vokoun from Caps

2 years, 2 mil per year....that's awesome insurance, going from having the worst back-up goalie to the best, in one swoop.

Veteran Netminder Signs Two-Year Contract

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired goaltender Tomas Vokoun from the Washington Capitals in exchange for a 2012 seventh-round draft pick, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The Penguins then signed Vokoun to a two-year contract worth an average annual value of $2 million. Vokounís contract begins with the 2012-13 season and runs through the 2013-14 campaign.

Vokoun, 35, recently completed his 13th NHL season with Washington, posting a 25-17-2 record, 2.51 goals-against average, .917 save percentage and four shutouts in 48 games. One of Vokounís shutouts was a 30-save performance in a 1-0 victory over the Penguins on Jan. 11 at the Verizon Center.

A native of Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic, Vokounís 25 victories this season marked the ninth-straight season he has surpassed the 20-win plateau. During that span, Vokoun has topped 25 wins seven times, including three seasons when he has posted 30-plus victories.

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Vokoun enters the 2012-13 season ranked sixth among active netminders with 287 career victories Ė leaving him 13 shy of becoming just the 31st goaltender in NHL history to reach 300 career wins.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

----------------

Most likely this is a "wake up call". When you have BJ backing you up, you don't exactly feel like you're going to lose your job. With Vokoun backing you up, you very well could

now go get Parise
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Pens acquire G Tomas Vokoun from Caps

Good deal.....Especially the way Fluery played in playoffs.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

#Pens GM Shero: Move is to help Fleury. He played 69 games. Vokoun good goalie & person. We have 2 guys who can play and win games

#Pens GM Shero: Goalie position has changed over years. Much more physically demanding. Tandem gives coaches options

#Pens GM Shero: Fleury can play 70 games. He had great year. Cut down on that & he'll be much sharper, focused and get best out of him

#Pens GM Shero: Most we've spent on goalies but you see the importance of goaltending. This is best tandem we've had in long time
Old 06-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

I was so happy to hear this. And it's a lot more than BJ made, but it definitely is worth it.

And yeah, Fleury CAN play 70 games, but then he's just dead tired in the playoffs.

I honestly couldn't have thought of a better backup goalie than him for the money. Kudos to Shero for making it happen.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Fire Haley
Banned

Great signing. Back-up goaltender position secured. I wouldn't mind seeing Vokoun play 25 - 30 games.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Good.....maybe we can get past Filthafelphia for once. I hate when we play them.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Fire Haley
Banned

Another thing is the Pens take away a quality goalie from other teams in need. I bet Philly would trade Bob for Vokoun.

or as one Toronto fan put it ........My god there goes the only guy I would of wanted to have as a Leaf starter.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Another thing is the Pens take away a quality goalie from other teams in need. I bet Philly would trade Bob for Vokoun.

or as one Toronto fan put it ........My god there goes the only guy I would of wanted to have as a Leaf starter.
Im sure!