Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-19-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Cowher's Future Remains Unkown

Cowher's future plans remain unknown
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Less than two weeks from the players' reporting date to St. Vincent College, the Steelers aren't certain they'll agree on an extension of coach Bill Cowher's contract prior to the start of training camp.
Or if Cowher is interested in extending his deal beyond the two years it has remaining.

"I don't know," Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said Tuesday. "That's one thing we have to look at, and he does, too, just what is the best thing."

The Steelers have traditionally extended Cowher's contract two years prior to it expiring.

Normally, negotiations have been completed by this juncture of the offseason.

"Earlier," Rooney said.

Cowher said at the conclusion of the Steelers' offseason program in June that he was taking his continued tenure with the team "year to year."

Rooney is taking him at his word.

Asked if he anticipated Cowher walking away from the job after the upcoming season, Rooney said, "I don't think so.

"I don't really know; it's conjecture," he continued. "I just think what he says is fact: he's going to look at this thing as he goes on. I think he's going to be open and honest about it. I just don't think he knows right now."

The Steelers are scheduled to report to St. Vincent on July 28.

Cowher's agent, Phil de Picciotto, was out of the country yesterday and unavailable for comment.

The Steelers hired Cowher to succeed Chuck Noll in 1992.

Cowher has a 153-91-1 record (playoffs included) in 14 seasons through the Steelers' 21-10 victory over Seattle in Super Bowl XL.

He ranks fourth among active coaches in career victories behind Marty Schottenheimer (191), Bill Parcells (174) and Joe Gibbs (157).

Cowher, 49, is tied for 14th in all-time wins with Steve Owen, one behind Marv Levy (154).

Cowher and his wife, Kaye, have purchased through a trust a $2.5 million home near Raleigh, N.C., and own a vacation home in Bald Head Island, N.C. His youngest daughter, Lindsay, reportedly left Fox Chapel High School following her freshman year to enroll and play basketball at Cary Academy, a private school near Raleigh.

Cowher and his wife attended N.C. State.

"We have an understanding with him of what he's thinking," Rooney said. "I do think it's open to a year-to-year basis. We have a pretty fair understanding, and he's been very fair with us and, hopefully, we've been fair with him."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_462431.html

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-19-2006 at 01:00 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Re: Cowher's Future Remains Unkown

I think there are alot of indications that when his contract is up that he wont be back. I see the fact that he bought that 2.5 million dollar home in raliegh as a sure sign. Why buy a house there when you have a vacation home. Here is a scenerio. What if he retires from the steelers and takes on the head coaching position at unc?
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
Here is a scenerio. What if he retires from the steelers and takes on the head coaching position at unc?
That is entirely possible. I think we Steelers fans know that Cowher isn't going to be our HC for too much longer and he may just give it another year or two. Someone in another thread suggested that it may be possible that Wiz may be being groomed to succeed The Chin. After reading this article, I'm leaning more that way now.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
That is entirely possible. I think we Steelers fans know that Cowher isn't going to be our HC for too much longer and he may just give it another year or two. Someone in another thread suggested that it may be possible that Wiz may be being groomed to succeed The Chin. After reading this article, I'm leaning more that way now.
Whisenhunt stayed for a reason...he is the heir apparant...for the Steeler Nation...its actually a very good scenario...a new head coach in training for a year or three...Cowher will be head coach for as long as he wants to be....
Old 07-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #5
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I personally think it would be great if Whisenhnt took over head coach once Cowher leaves....I dont know when that will be but I agree that Whisenhunt stayed for a reason...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,734 Times in 2,917 Posts

a caller to sirius radio brought up how cowher loves the college coaching game (how he knows this i dont know) and mentionned unc or penn state as something cowher may be leaning towards. the caller had attended the steelers fantasy coaching camp and said he brought this up to russ grimm and grimm just smiled.

the show then discussed how much money the rooneys have paid to retain grimm and the countless head coaching opportunities he has turned down (even the redskins). grimm is very happy in pittsburgh. the callers point was that he got the strong feeling that grimm is just waiting to take over before too long.

the rooneys have to be turning a pretty good profit. look at what dan snyder has done hiring the best assistants. look at how the patriots were almost bulletproof whith crennell and weiss. as soon as they left they could no longer just plug in anyone and win all the time.

if cowher leaves the rooneys need to split the money they would have given cowher (probably 8 million a year) and use that to retain wisenhunt and lebeau.

the thinking here is you take 4 of that 8 million and give the coordinators salaries that put them on par with washingtons co-ords, and it makes them as highly paid as some head coaches. then you still have $4 mil left over to add to grimms salary.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

I dont think we need to start threading again about who should take over for cowher. I think whisenhunt turned the raiders down because its a coaching graveyard. It wasnt an ideal situation.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #8
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

I think grimm would be a better coach then whisenhunt. I think he would bring just as much intensity as cowher does
Old 07-19-2006, 09:03 AM   #9
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

I think were all making to much of a deal on it.
He is Here right now, so enjoy it.
We got strength behind him.
Camp Starts in 9 days....Camp Cowher that is!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
shevdog
Team Captain

Member Number: 120
Thumbs up Re: Cowher's Future Remains Unkown

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
I never pondered Wiz taking over as head coach at Pittsburgh. If that is the case, I'd be perfectly fine with that. Wiz could have easily left for any team, especially the raiders, yet he did the classy thing, sorta like LeBeau did, and stuck with the Steelers.

Steelers Football: Simply the Best!
shevdog is offline   Reply With Quote