Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,809 Times in 4,472 Posts
Default Re: Cowher's Future Remains Unkown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer67
6500 posts, Tony!!! Jesus man! Where do you find the time??!!

lol. i gotta pretty good job.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:12 PM   #22
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

I've said, ever since I joined here, I have a strong feeling Russ is the next head coach. My wife knew him well, growing up, and I watched his career as a Redskin, being from there.

He's from Westmoreland County, and tough as nails. I'm thinking the offensive capability of the Steelers, the past 2 seasons, had a lot more to do with the capability of Ben and the multi-faceted abilities of El & Ward. Grimm was making sure they were protected, and was a players' coach, no question.

My official prediction is for Russ, next head coach, and I agree, I'm thinking Cowher's almost done, here, of his own choice. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #23
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,809 Times in 4,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIOwheelz
I've said, ever since I joined here, I have a strong feeling Russ is the next head coach. My wife knew him well, growing up, and I watched his career as a Redskin, being from there.

He's from Westmoreland County, and tough as nails. I'm thinking the offensive capability of the Steelers, the past 2 seasons, had a lot more to do with the capability of Ben and the multi-faceted abilities of El & Ward. Grimm was making sure they were protected, and was a players' coach, no question.

My official prediction is for Russ, next head coach, and I agree, I'm thinking Cowher's almost done, here, of his own choice. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
for reasons already stated in this thread, i totally agree. sure wisenhunt has turned down (or been rejected) one crappy job offered but grimm has turned down (or been rejected) for many. grimm is the assistant head coach and he has been the one paid handsomly to stay. the steelers are firm believers that it all starts with the front 5.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #24
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

I like the idea of Russ as Head Coach, he's no nonsense,...but seems to be an equal opportunity ass kicker. Though,..i don't see coach (Cowher) going anywhere within the near future,...he's too competetive. He's got a CHANCE to be greater in Steelers lore than maybe even Chuck Knoll with a few more Titles,....based on his winning percentage.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #25
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Cowher keeps future wide open

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Bill Cowher has elaborated on his cryptic comments regarding his continued tenure as head coach of the Steelers.

"I'm not going to look too far down the road," Cowher said Monday night during an appearance on "Savran on SportsBeat," with Fox Sports Net Pittsburgh's Stan Savran. "If I'm asking our players not to do that, then why should I do that personally?"

Cowher, 49, will begin his 15th season as the Steelers' coach when training camp opens on Friday at St. Vincent College in Latrobe.

He had fueled speculation about his future at the conclusion of the team's offseason program in June by characterizing his career with the Steelers as "year to year."

Cowher has two years remaining on his contract. The Steelers normally extend his deal with two years remaining.

No such agreement has been worked out this time, which prompted Steelers chairman Dan Rooney to tell the Tribune-Review last week, "I just think what he says is fact: He's going to look at this thing as he goes on."

"I think he's going to be open and honest about it," Rooney said. "I just don't think he knows right now."

Cowher told Savran he's been taking nothing for granted regarding his employment with the Steelers since a 6-10 finish in 2003.

"I think at that point, after that season, I was in a one-year-at-a-time mode," Cowher said. "I think after 12 years in one place and you go 6-10, you're really working on a one-year-at-a-time situation.

"I think at that point I kind of adopted that mind-set. It was kind of 'seize the moment,' because you don't know when the next moment's going to come."

The Steelers finished 15-1 in the regular season and advanced to the AFC Championship Game in 2004.

They went 11-5 in the 2005 season, then became the first No. 6 seed to win the Super Bowl.

"The last two years have been pretty good," Cowher said. "I don't think I'm going to deviate from that.

"I'm not going to make any guarantees about next year, that I'm going to sit there and say I'm going to coach. And I'm not going to sit here and say I'm not going to coach. I really don't know."

Cowher and his wife, Kaye, have purchased a $2.5 million home near Raleigh, N.C., where the two attended N.C. State. They also own a vacation home on Bald Head Island, N.C.

A Steelers spokesman said Cowher was unavailable for comment on Tuesday.

Cowher's agent, Phil de Picciotto, also could not be reached.

"You talk about 'one game at a time,' and I think (that mentality) took us where it did last year. I've kind of taken this approach to my coaching and taken it one year at a time," Cowher said. "I don't think you should read into it too much, but I'm not going to sit here and make any guarantees.

"I think it's important that I do take that same approach, the one I've taken since that 6-10, eye-awakening year that we had in 2003."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_463395.html
Old 07-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #26
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Hey, we've got this year with him and probably next. Let's not look past what we've got and allow they Rooney's to determine a suitable replacement for Cowher. Lord knows we have several assistant coaches that could take over, if and when necessary!

Besides, the Rooney's haven't failed us yet! And that's a salute to them for bringing in competent (and successful) coaches!

Here's to ringing up the other hand!!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #27
BigBen2WardPITT
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 551

this is news to me, im from DC we dont get much steelers news, i really thought her would stick around longer then two years. Its ok with me, i just really would like to have someone that can come right in and almost not miss a step like wisenhunt
BigBen2WardPITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:45 PM   #28
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

If you have a copy of the SB, play it and look closely at his expression throughout the game. I think he is seriously burned out, at least he was that day. Stressed, stressed, stressed I think he's tired, and he's now achieved his burning goal of a championship. I think his not signing an extension right now has more to do with uncertainty about his goals and his life than anything to do with money. In other words, I don't see it as a bargaining ploy...at least not at this point--I think he just wants to see how he feels over the next two years. I'm not sure it has anything to do with the team or the other coaches
either...just personal things.
That said, if he leaves after 2007 season, I don't see him coaching in the pros again, either. I see him taking a year off, then spending a year on a pregame show, then settling in a college town to coach a college team for the next 20 years, letting his name and reputation do the recruiting.
We will find out soon enough:) If we all throw out scenarios one of us will be right:) LOL
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #29
Steel City Mafia
Banned

Member Number: 2675

Man, I hate reading this thread. thats by far the worst part of this biz is getting attatched to these guys and then watching the dollar take them elsewhere. I respect the guy that leaves for a better position, whether it be to spend more time with his family, coach on a different level that makes you feel more free, etc... I just hope it isn't for money.

For now, i'll play ostrich and stick my head in the hole, just pretend the issue doesnt exist ;-)
Steel City Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #30
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'm just going to take the wait and see approach here. Cowher loves coaching but he is also a devoted family man and may want to hang it up in a year or two to spend some quality time with his wife and girls. Being an NFL head coach isn't just a seasonal job - it's a year round dedication with many long hours involved. Whatever he decides to do at the end of this season, we've truly been blessed to have had Bill Cowher as the Steelers coach for all of these years. He not only brings expertise, hard work, knowledge and intensity to the table, he also brings class and excitement to the franchise overall, as well as to his players and we as fans.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote