Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-19-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default Will The Steeler Go More To A Passing Game?

I always thought that unless we found another Bettis level back we should make the transition to being more of a passing team. Not the Indy Colts but we have to start seeing Ben throwing for 325 yds. etc on 35 attempts. We have a stud QB, we drafted a WR in the first round this year, a superb TE last year, we have Hines Ward and a bevy of promising receivers in the mix like Wilson and Willie Reid and Lee Mays! We seem to find a way to get our O-line to work despite the misgivings we all have about some of the talent and
untested youth we have there. Our coaching staff may well be the best we have seen in the Cowher era, with an offensive co-ordinator who is cooking up game plans that seem to register playoff wins. I like it.

Although the Steelers have always been known for their running game, I don't think a guy like Ben is going to want to stay in an offence where he is basically managing the game. Thats fine for some games. when we have a great and dominant running game going but we need to keep him loose and happy. If it means we change our focus a little it may take us to another level. and maybe more championships.

What do you think?
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: Will The Steeler Go More To A Passing Game?

I would like to see more passing from Ben, but I don't think they should get too pass happy. If they would change I would like to see them have a balanced attack.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo
I would like to see more passing from Ben, but I don't think they should get too pass happy. If they would change I would like to see them have a balanced attack.
I agree. Ben doesnt have a very good record when he throws the ball over twenty times a game. I would too would like to see more of a balanced offense
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I am thrilled that we have such a multi-dimensional QB that the coaching staff and the team overall has so much confidence in. Ben is most times pretty accurate when throwing the ball, can get the ball down field and hit a receiver in stride, is very mobile behind center and is pretty good at reading defenses having only 2 years of pro experience under his belt. After watching last season's playoffs where they incorporated a more balanced attack, I think we are in for yet another very exciting season with the coaching staff opening up Ben a little more, as he definitely has the talent himself as well as his receiving corps to continue to accomplish some very good things.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

I also feel that Ben could Handle it if he had to do it more. Realize he has never been asked to throw very often over 20 times a game or needed too, he has only lost 4 games as a Starter. I truly belive that Ben is a GREAT and AWESOME qb, but he is a field general..not a slinger. His strength lies in his ability to understand the entire field. That is a special trate that cant be learned. Yes would I love to see more passing....YES it's exciting. But I dont think Ben worries about his passing stats as much as he wants the W at the end of the game. Now our running game I dont feel has suffered HUGE with the lose of the Bus, Yes I loved him, Yes he was a force, Yes at one time in the season he had 5 rushes for 2 yards and 4 touchdowns(something like that). His absence will not be missed on the field as much as it will be in the lockerroom and the sideline. Willie and Duce and Verron will get it done.Balanced would be my choice with a little razzle dazzle on top!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

This is part of the maturation process of an NFL quarterback...

What many understandably forget is..Ben is entering his THIRD year in the NFL. Palmer had his breakout year last year...which was his third as well. This is a huge year for Ben. If he continues to grow..which by all accounts he is...then you will see bigger numbers...which in turn...will open up the running game even more.

As we saw in the Playoffs...not only is balance important...but so is imbalance...in terms of keping the defense off balance and guessing...

i cant wait...this is going to be VERY interesting.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I love the fact that we do have the versatility to be able to run the ball until teams start stacking against the run...then can hit our Wr's and TE for a nice gain. One of the "secrets" to our success last year is that everyone labeled us a running team..forgetting that we could throw the ball.
I would like us to continue that same formula...and I PRAY that we have the personnel to do it. If Duce or Humes pan out and are healthy get ready for RUN...RUN...RUN..until they THINK we are going to run and then pass !!...Then set back up in a passing alignment..and watch Willie break a long one...I loved watching Indy..Denver..Seattle, trip all over themselves last year trying to figure out our offense...and watching the ultimate chessplayer (Whisenhut) think 3 moves ahead of their Defensive Coordinators.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Balance is the key. You have to show opponents that you can beat them any way you want and make it difficult to game plan for your offense. If they stack the line, then they'll kill you with possession, precision passing. if they play against the pass, then Willie will run all over them all day long. It's nice to know that the Steelers have the type of offense that can win a shootout or a tough, physical game where you have to battle for every inch you gain. I think you're going to see a lot of multiple receiver sets and a lot of motion, perhaps 3 WR with Ben under center and having the ability to audible if necessary. Having a pass-catching TE like Heath Miller also gives them a ton of options out of a 2 TE set. It'll be a varied and versatile offense, and the Steelers will shed that "one-dimensional running team" image they have always had.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i don't think ben would get angry about not throwing that much per game.. i mean he is WINNING and that is what evry QB whats to do and he has a superbowl ring and his record so far is great.. so i think if we keep winning he'll be happy...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,951 Times in 3,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
Balance is the key. You have to show opponents that you can beat them any way you want and make it difficult to game plan for your offense. If they stack the line, then they'll kill you with possession, precision passing. if they play against the pass, then Willie will run all over them all day long. It's nice to know that the Steelers have the type of offense that can win a shootout or a tough, physical game where you have to battle for every inch you gain. I think you're going to see a lot of multiple receiver sets and a lot of motion, perhaps 3 WR with Ben under center and having the ability to audible if necessary. Having a pass-catching TE like Heath Miller also gives them a ton of options out of a 2 TE set. It'll be a varied and versatile offense, and the Steelers will shed that "one-dimensional running team" image they have always had.
i think you said it perfectly. its a monkey see monkey do league. our offense will start to resemble what the patriots have found success with. we will line up in a 4 wr set and run the ball. we will line up in a power run 2 te formation and pass the ball, and vice versa. no matter what we line up in the defense wont know or be able to accurately predict wether a pass or run is coming, regardless of down and distance.

instead of trying to force a running game and impose our will, the offense will just take what the defense gives us, as seen in last years playoffs. 4 out of the last 5 superbowls have been won with this method.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote