Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #11
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225
Default Re: Will The Steeler Go More To A Passing Game?

I want to see the Steelers pound the ball for 4.5 yards per carry. They can strike through the air when needed, but I do not want to go back to 3 years ago.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

While I feel balance is key, I would like to see the team open up the passing game to a larger extent. Many are concerned with Holmes, but I feel Quincy Morgan and Nate Washington are capable of stepping it up for this team. I've heard on numerous occasions that the Steelers are very high on Nate Washington and to this day I still have more faith in Quincy Morgan than I do Cedrick Wilson and even Randle El when he was here. Good speed and good height with Quincy. We also have Hands Miller as an option. The more experience Ben get's the more potent this teams passing game will be. We've always complained (and for good reason) that we never had the option of opening up our passing game, now we have the QB and the tools in order to make that change. Why not use it?

For the record, by no means am I stating that we become a complete air-it-out ball team. We learned our lesson in 2003 with that little experiment. But at the same time there is a difference between doing what we did in 2003 and what I would like to see done. Also, we didn't have Ben Roethlisberger and Heath Miller at the time. I would love to see us open up a few games throwing the rock more often (Colts playoff game comes to mind).

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-19-2006 at 11:47 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
While I feel balance is key, I would like to see the team open up the passing game to a larger extent. Many are concerned with Holmes, but I feel Quincy Morgan and Nate Washington are capable of stepping it up for this team. I've heard on numerous occasions that the Steelers are very high on Nate Washington and to this day I still have more faith in Quincy Morgan than I do Cedrick Wilson and even Randle El when he was here. Good speed and good height with Quincy. We also have Hands Miller as an option. The more experience Ben get's the more potent this teams passing game will be. We've always complained (and for good reason) that we never had the option of opening up our passing game, now we have the QB and the tools in order to make that change. Why not use it?

For the record, by no means am I stating that we become a complete air-it-out ball team. We learned our lesson in 2003 with that little experiment. But at the same time there is a difference between doing what we did in 2003 and what I would like to see done. Also, we didn't have Ben Roethlisberger and Heath Miller at the time. I would love to see us open up a few games throwing the rock more often (Colts playoff game comes to mind).
You can open up the passing game more and still have a balanced offense. The ability to throw the football, especially downfield, keeps defenses honest, allowing you to have a more effective rushing game. I think people see "balance" and think "conservative" - that is not what I advocate. I think Whisenhunt is going to take the chains off Ben and let him go for more big plays, which in turn will give Willie Parker plenty of opportunities to use his speed and break off a lot of long runs of his own as defenses attempt to adjust. Balance and big plays - the perfect combo.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #14
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
I think people see "balance" and think "conservative" - that is not what I advocate. I think Whisenhunt is going to take the chains off Ben and let him go for more big plays, which in turn will give Willie Parker plenty of opportunities to use his speed and break off a lot of long runs of his own. Balance and big plays - the perfect combo.
At the same time, I think when people hear "open up the passing game to a larger degree" they automatically think " air-it-out type of offense/2003 season/6-10 record".

I agree completely with you that Whisenhunt will let Ben have a little fun this year. As the kid learns more and more I think you almost have to.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #15
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

I think we will need to go to more of a passing game. I think we will miss Jerome most when we need to milk the clock at the end of the game. I think we will need to pass more in the 4th quarter than we did the past 2 years.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #16
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I think we'll be more balanced than we have been in the past...well until we get that nice lead...then it's run the clock down.

But if we get into a situation where we need to pass more,I think Ben can handle it and I think Cowher & Company will have enough faith in him to let him pass away if need be.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #17
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerMurf
I think we will need to go to more of a passing game. I think we will miss Jerome most when we need to milk the clock at the end of the game. I think we will need to pass more in the 4th quarter than we did the past 2 years.
I'll buy that. Good point.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #18
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerMurf

If we are passing in the fourth quarter..things have gone VERY BAD...if you have a nice lead,you want to run the ball to run down the clock....Passing late generally means that you are behind...even without bettis..we had BETTER be able to run at the end of the game, or it will be a very short season

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 07-19-2006 at 12:29 PM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #19
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

I have to agree with keeping the offense balanced. Although I am a big fan of Big Ben and the passing game, there will be times when we will still need to run the ball.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #20
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Honestly, I think that we WON'T become a passing team. Here's why.

A successful team is really a "take what they give us" team. So, the Steelers don't have Bus, and I don't think Parker has the respect of the rest of the league yet. What I see happening is teams lining up to defend the pass, and the Steelers forcing them to respect Parker (and whomever else, Staley, Haynes, etc). THEN, when they have to respect the run, the Steelers will pass. And then, at the end of the game, you'll see more of those 3rd and 7s become passes to Miller rather than 5 yard runs and punt.

So I'm on the side with those that say it won't go all passing, but it will go more balanced, which is good. We'll need it; all the teams in our division improved over the offseason, at least on paper.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote