Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 07-21-2006, 09:32 AM   #61
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Will The Steeler Go More To A Passing Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i heard a recent tiki barber interview where he was actually asking for some of the load being taken offa him for the sake of the team and for winning.

now i will stop comparing willie to barry, emmitt, or ladainian, but he fits the mold of a tiki, warric, or cadillac. you dont see any of their teams rushing out to replace them. as much as i thought lendale white was a commodity too tuff to pass on, i also thought drafting him would hurt the development of w. parker. the grass is not always greener on the other side. jerome will not be replaced. many teams would love a willie parker on their team. duce and verron are good. humes has a ton of potential.

we do not need 1 runner to carry the rock like jerome did in his heyday. look at all the sb winners in this century. none of them had that. even the 04 pats relied on kevin faulk. i dare anyone to name the top 5 back the bucs used.

as a team we can live on old philosophies that have failed in getting to the big game in the past. or we can stick to whats working, open up the offense a little more, and win another ring.

after all, what is more important? winning another championship? or upholding our image of a "pound the rock" dominant single back, running team?

i chose winning it all.
I agree with what you said in that post Tony. I'm all for Willie Parker being the starting tailback on this team. Thats why I wanted Santonio Holmes more then LenDale White. I just can see where some Steelers fans have some doubts ans concerns about Willie.

I'm a big Willie Parker fan and I expect him to have really good year. I like the comparison of Tiki Barber. I could see Willie developing into a Tiki Barber one day. People forget Tiki really was a superstar at first. He has just went on this great run of his the last 3 or 4 years really. So it took some time for Tiki. Willie will only get better with more experiene just like Tiki did.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #62
Allan
Water Boy

Member Number: 2695
Default Re: Will The Steeler Go More To A Passing Game?

If Staley or Haynes can produce the type of goal line relyability that The Bus had I dont see any change in play. Although we are a running team we have a legitmate pass threat. You have to keep Ward covered and double in pass plays. Not to mention ward will block to unlike some ex-recievers. Our TE's have some real sticky hands to. This is the way we played last year moving the ball down the field then we gave it to The Bus or passed it in.

If Staley or Haynes cant get the goal line numbers Bussy did then we will see more quick outs and passes to the corner end zone to Washington and Holmes. I think the TE's and ward will get just as many short yardage TD's as last year.

Also now with Washington's hight and Holmes speed watch out for a few more long bombs. I dont think this will detrace from our run/pass ratios but now that ben might have some more fast and tall targets out there watch out for a few big plays.

After cower got stung with the pass and went 6-10 I dont see him ever going back to that game. But we did get some new pass play players and lost our most dependiable running back. Only time will tell.

Haveing a legitmate passing game that we have had the past couple years and will contineu to have this year will let Cower play the way he likes to. That is to rack up a quick big lead then chew clock by running the ball 90% of the time. How many times have we seen Big Bed get most of his stats in the first half.

Last edited by Allan; 08-01-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Allan is offline   Reply With Quote