Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,638 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: OL Trai Essex has signed with....

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
It's not hate, but rather a realization that he isn't getting any better and it's almost better to let guys like that go, to make room for something better.

It's like dating an ugly girl and after a while you come to your senses and see you need to ditch her for somebody that doesn't require you to drink ten beers, before she starts looking good.
Well, that's not entirely true. He's only 29 years old and he's lost a TON of weight from what I've heard. If this is true he may improve. If Trai can't get any better at the age of 29, there's no way Ben, who's 30, is going into his prime as he hopes

Sometimes you can't underestimate these guys. If they work hard enough they'll be an entirely different player, and even person, the next year. I hope Trai does well.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Essex has definitely improved over the past two seasons. He even had a quality start at center against the Rams last year. Never underestimate the value of an offensive lineman that can play every position adequately (as well as TE) and has an intimate knowledge of the system. Maybe he's more valuable to the Steelers than he would be to any other team...but that's a good thing.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #13
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,638 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Essex has definitely improved over the past two seasons. He even had a quality start at center against the Rams last year. Never underestimate the value of an offensive lineman that can play every position adequately (as well as TE) and has an intimate knowledge of the system. Maybe he's more valuable to the Steelers than he would be to any other team...but that's a good thing.
I agree.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #14
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Some people just don't get it, you CAN'T have pro bowlers at every position, you NEED to have quality back up players. Essex and Legursky are just that, quality backups. On the OL it is even more imperative to have players like this. Both guys can play multiple positions, are veterans and will be able to adapt well with the new OC and with roster limits that is very important.
These were very good depth signings at reasonable prices.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Essex to me is valuable because he can play every position on the line in case of an injury, and he only costs like the vet minimum. That is a pretty cheap insurance policy. If he wasn't on the roster when we had no center during a game last year what would we have done? He came in and played well.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,558 Times in 818 Posts
My Mood: Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
relax.... with exception to foster (who very well could be replaced as a starter) they are all back ups and experienced depth, at the absolute lowest price allowed in accordance with the CBA.
That's just the problem, aside from Pouncey, our entire O-line depth is a bunch of experienced backups at best, they rarely make their presence felt in a positive way.
We need an infusion of talent here for sure.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Marcus Gilbert and Willie Colon I have no concerns with, except for Colon's health. I don't have an issue with Foster either. He's workmanlike, but rarely makes mistakes and is consistent. It wouldn't even be the worst thing in the world for Legursky to continue to start at LG. He wasn't healthy a lot last year and that obviously impacted his ability to play. Surely they'll draft at least 2 or 3 linemen this year with 10 picks, with at least one being in the first 3 rounds.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,001 Times in 3,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
That's just the problem, aside from Pouncey, our entire O-line depth is a bunch of experienced backups at best, they rarely make their presence felt in a positive way.
We need an infusion of talent here for sure.
the steelers wouldnt keep drafting untalented OLmen just because the intention was for them to be back ups. from what i remember, kraig urbick was supposed to have alot of OL talent.

either way, there is something wrong with the process and it can only be scouting or coaching. teams have 3rd - 7th rounders pan out all the time. hell, there was a time when teams didnt even start looking at guards and centers until the 3rd round.

with that being said, i think the steelers are hedging their bets with these most recent signings (i'd have to see how much of their new 1 year deals are guaranteed signing bonus).

in the case ot TE l. pope, we can cut him at any time and it only costs $65,000.

as of now, it looks like the steelers are returning the entire OL group from last year with exception of starks and kemoeatu. PLUS we are getting colon back. that leaves only 1 spot to be filled by a draft pick.

im guessing we are gonna spend atleast 2 of the first 5 picks on OL which would mean somebody is likely to get cut.

sure we want them all to be as good as mike wallace or antonio brown so we can turn on them and point out all their flaws as soon as they think they deserve (or have earned) more money than the salary cap will allow.

the alternative is paying multi millions for our OL and having a linebacker corps of foote, carter, worilds, and sylvester. i dont think anyone really wants that.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #19
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the steelers wouldnt keep drafting untalented OLmen just because the intention was for them to be back ups. from what i remember, kraig urbick was supposed to have alot of OL talent.

either way, there is something wrong with the process and it can only be scouting or coaching. teams have 3rd - 7th rounders pan out all the time. hell, there was a time when teams didnt even start looking at guards and centers until the 3rd round.
well if its any indication , carl nicks ,considered a top guard in the league , was drafted a round after urbik. nicks was also a tackle in college not a guard.....SCOUTING

from what i remember of training camp the year urbik was drafted , he couldn't quite get the handle on playing center , which may have led to him being released instead of legursky...but yet he started several games for buffalo at center and supposedly played well...COACHING

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,851 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Well, that's not entirely true. He's only 29 years old and he's lost a TON of weight from what I've heard. If this is true he may improve. If Trai can't get any better at the age of 29, there's no way Ben, who's 30, is going into his prime as he hopes

Sometimes you can't underestimate these guys. If they work hard enough they'll be an entirely different player, and even person, the next year. I hope Trai does well.
Trai Essex came to Northwestern University as a TE, then added weight and height and played OT. Most had him graded as a 6th round talent in his draft year of 2005, but the Steelers took him in the 3rd because of his athleticism. (Some would say they reached).

Essex is in his 8th year and has proven that he cannot beat out Ramon Foster at OG, nor Jon Scott, Willie Colon, Marcus Gilbert at OT on the Steelers roster. Why not draft a decent OT prospect that has the potential to become a starter and keep him on the 53 as opposed to Essex. I think that will shake itself out in camp.

Face it, the guy is a 8 year veteran backup on a team that is in the bottom 1/3 of offensive lines in the NFL. If we are hoping he will hit is stride from here on out, we might as well eagerly wait for the end of conflict in the Middle East too.