Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Cheeky
Default Will 2012 Steelers be an improvement over 2011?

ESPN recently criticized the Steelers for a less than active Free agency offseason on NFl live. Which mean very little to most of us but upon a little investigating the question looms will the Steelers be improved? I'm not going to pummel everyone with statistics because stats can be deceiving,just present the argument.

1. If the offensive line isn't totally revamped Ben will last 2 more seasons. He has a tendancy to hold the ball forever but the line gave him the least amount of time possible.

2. Staying with the offense, will the Steelers keep Mendenhall or seek another option?

3.Even with a Top ranked Pass defense it doen't take a rocket scientist to realize that the Steelers need to address the CB issue. It's been hard watching QBs (not only last season) pick the defense apart and Leave the Steeler fan chewing their nails down to the nub wondering if this will be another blown lead?

4. It seems the LB core is deep but will our up-and-comers pan out?
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,631 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Will 2012 Steelers be an improvement over 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
ESPN recently criticized the Steelers for a less than active Free agency offseason on NFl live. Which mean very little to most of us but upon a little investigating the question looms will the Steelers be improved? I'm not going to pummel everyone with statistics because stats can be deceiving,just present the argument.

1. If the offensive line isn't totally revamped Ben will last 2 more seasons. He has a tendancy to hold the ball forever but the line gave him the least amount of time possible.

2. Staying with the offense, will the Steelers keep Mendenhall or seek another option?

3.Even with a Top ranked Pass defense it doen't take a rocket scientist to realize that the Steelers need to address the CB issue. It's been hard watching QBs (not only last season) pick the defense apart and Leave the Steeler fan chewing their nails down to the nub wondering if this will be another blown lead?

1 - I don't think the line needs a total revamp, we are just an upgrade at the guard position away from having a solid OL. The question marks are pouncey and colon's ability to get through a season (or 1 game in colon's case) without injuries. I think OL is going to be one of the main things being addressed in this draft. Another thing will Haley's ability to keep Ben under control, and adjust his style to be less reckless. The play that ruined ben's ankle last year (and our chances at a super bowl), he didn't throw the ball until around 10 seconds after the play. This was on Ben 100% and not the line.

2- It's really up to Todd Haley imo. If he wants to run the spread offense then I would be one of the few who say they should keep mendenhall. Mendy is NOT a between the tackles runner, he's best when he's out in space. He would be a perfect back for a spread offense, used in a marshall faulk w/ the rams type of role. When we actually used running plays from the spread formation (not often because arians went empty backfield 99% of the time), it always gained good yardage. This is using mendenhall to his strengths, which I assume Haley is better at than Arians.

3. Our corners will be fine. Keenan Lewis IMO did enough to prove he was the #2 guy this year, even if gay didn't leave. Cortez allen was a solid #4 last year and I'd imagine with a real offseason to work with he will be an even more solid #3. Curtis brown I also believe will contribute to the defense, dude is an animal on special teams and I want to see what he can do with the defense. Safety is more of a concern as troy and clark are both getting older.

4. And that's the million dollar question. Is Sylvester ready? Will he ever be ready or do we need to draft now? I'd like to know that, too. I don't think we're going LB in the 1st round but surely we are taking someone to fight for a LB position.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
casteeler
Assistant Coach

The O-line needs more than just one piece replaced, Pouncey looks to be a great center hopefully for quite a while. I believe Haley will implement the run more but with Mendy ( you are correct) an outside runner he had zero place to run, so either replace key line pieces or possibly give Redman the starting spot.
I very much hope our existing CBs can blossom into 1st stringers but if they cannot moves need to be made because there is no argument as to the last few years Steeler CBs have looked less than worthy as evident in several blown leads and headscratching compleations.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

1.) Revamp the line I say. I worry about having vets that suck teaching new guns bad habits. Our line just looks sloppier than other teams to me. I would rather bring in a bunch of new guys and role the dice. We already know what we are getting from the guys we have. Do we have anyone that can make it through a game without needing a booboo blown on? Tomlin always seems upset when giving post game injury reports stating that lineman sustain normal bumps and bruises and are expect to continue to compete the next week. That tells me that we have some soft ass guys on our line. Hopefully losing Kemo was enough but I doubt it BIG TIME.. I very strongly dislike the personnel on our line.. all of them. and, no, I am absolutely not a Pouncy fan. Maybe I just don't see what you guys do.

2.) I pray Mendenhall gets healthy because I really think he would excel in a Haley offense. Like Fire Arians said, put him the spread and run him off tackle and you might see him have similar success that McCluster and Charles had. Baron Batch is my wildcard and I really have high hopes for him. Either way, with Redmen and Clay, I am happy with our RB's with or without Mendenhall.

3.) When I look at our secondary, I think I secretly worry the most about Troy. Every DB gets burned. It is the nature of the game. Troy plays a very aggressive game and has a tendency to over pursue in pass coverage and in the open field. This sometimes leaves other DB's on islands. I hope Troy can have a solid season overall in all facets as he continues to get older, that's all. I say we go with our guys we have because the younger guys like Lewis and Allan look good to me.

4.) I think you got to give the green light to Sylvester. I'd love to see what him and Timmons could do in the middle. The thing is, young guys are going to take their lumps. But there is no experience like game experience. Give the guy a chance. The same way we threw a young William Gay or a Ricardo Colclough out there for a season early on, you gotta see if they have it not by creating a bigger sample size.

Overall the one thing I cannot seem to understand is Mike Tomlin and his loyalties. He always preaches about have "able bodied me" who understand that "the standard is the standard" but that is a complete lie me. You cannot know the standard without playing. You can't hit in practice. You do not get the same pounding and high stress situations, opposing forces with unfamiliar players, tendencies, and formations in practice. The standard can only be the standard for the guys that play in games regularly. Sylvester is a ST beast and that's it. Pull the trigger and lets see what we got!!
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Harrison and Woodley should be healthy. That alone makes the team better. Of course, there are also health concerns about Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, Hampton, Keisel, Sanders, etc.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:

1. Part of the problem will be helped with Arians being let go.

2 . I would release Mendenhall to make cap room.

3. Yes, the CBs, except Taylor, haven't to be better than average. The pass rush hasn't been so great recently either.

4. ILB is not deep at all. An unproven Sylvester and the pathetic Foote. Timmons is the only proven ILB.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
or possibly give Redman the starting spot.
I believe it's his to lose. Mendenhall won't play until later in the season, if at all.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,611 Posts

Will 2012 Steelers be an improvement over 2011?

Yes.

The Steelers have flaws, but so does every other team. I mean, the friggin' 9-7 Giants won it all and all they can do is rush the passer and air it out...

The Steelers happened to run into the type of (ball control) team that was a bad matchup, similar to how the Jets and Texans either beat or nearly beat (the Jets win the 09 AFC Championship if the game goes on another 3 minutes) the Steelers the last 2-3 years.

The Steelers usually do bad a year after making the SB, too.

Less 'pressure'/lower visibility and more focus (having tasted bitter defeat) will lead to an improved 2012/13 Steelers squad.
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
casteeler
Assistant Coach

I think the two phases most used by Steeler fans during a game are, "Throw the damn ball Ben" and "Stop dancin' and run it Mendy". With a revamped line and some good ol' downhill running with Redman this offense will having us all smiling by September
Old 04-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote:
I think the two phases most used by Steeler fans during a game are, "Throw the damn ball Ben" and "Stop dancin' and run it Mendy".
You mean after, "!@#$%^ Arians!!!", right?
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote