Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
fujirama24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18332
Default Re: Teams interested in trading for Wallace, but will Steelers listen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
It wouldn't shock me to see a team give up a 2nd and 4th for him. Especially if a team loses out on one of the 3 or 4 WR's with the 1st round grade on them. For example the Rams could very well be out of the Blackmon stakes at pick 6 but have 2 picks in the second round (33 and 39) thats where this get interesting IMO. Pick 39 and say a 4th or 5th and Wallace takes his act to St.Louis.
I know probably won't happen but it is something that may be discussed. Who Knows??
I was think about this the other day. Thought maybe we trade him for st.louis 2nd round pick number 39 and swap 3rd rounders with them. Then they can take someone like Riley Rieff with the first pick and get a decent DT with there second pick and have wallace. It would be a win win. I highly doubt that we pay wallace that kind of money. I wouldn't. Is he due a big payday yeah. Maybe a 5 year worth say 55 million but I wouldn't offer much more than that.
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,163 Times in 2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujirama24 View Post
I was think about this the other day. Thought maybe we trade him for st.louis 2nd round pick number 39 and swap 3rd rounders with them. Then they can take someone like Riley Rieff with the first pick and get a decent DT with there second pick and have wallace. It would be a win win. I highly doubt that we pay wallace that kind of money. I wouldn't. Is he due a big payday yeah. Maybe a 5 year worth say 55 million but I wouldn't offer much more than that.
a well thought out trade proposal. scenarios like this definitely merit discussion.

i mentioned something similar to this with the rams or browns to steeler depot on twitter and he immediately shot it down like it was unfathomable.

said there was no way the steelers would trade w/ the browns in division.

i pointed out how the steelers had no problem risking the ravens or bengals giving up a 1st for him.

no response.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,510 Posts

If the Steelers are going to trade Wallace, the Rams seem like the most likely fit, personnel wise.

I'm not sure if they have the cap space to lock him up long term or not.

The Browns don't have a franchise QB and seem more desperate to pursue one than trade for a WR.

Last edited by NSMaster56; 04-14-2012 at 03:02 PM.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
FWIW Gerry Dulac was on NFL Network last night and said he believes Wallace wil sign a long term deal with the Steelers
So do I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
I'm not sure if they have the cap space to lock him up long term or not.
They can make the cap space relatively simply, I would think. Keep in mind that the cap number that people have assigned for him already factors in the $2.7M of his RFA tender, so whatever his cap number would end up being would be -$2.7M in terms of how it affects the cap. I think they should have around $4M right now on the Rule of 51, so without doing anything, they could withstand around a $6.5-7M cap hit for him for this year. The cap rises significantly soon as well, so that won't be an issue. Plus, Casey Hampton's contract will be gone, and possibly others as well.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
They can make the cap space relatively simply, I would think. Keep in mind that the cap number that people have assigned for him already factors in the $2.7M of his RFA tender, so whatever his cap number would end up being would be -$2.7M in terms of how it affects the cap. I think they should have around $4M right now on the Rule of 51, so without doing anything, they could withstand around a $6.5-7M cap hit for him for this year. The cap rises significantly soon as well, so that won't be an issue. Plus, Casey Hampton's contract will be gone, and possibly others as well.
I meant the Rams.

I do not expect the Steelers to pay top dollar for a WR, nor would I blame them if they decide not to.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,342 Times in 3,990 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Horse shit leak by his agent.
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
ANDYMISIU
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13987

Why should we trade Wallace for a top 10 pick when Wallace is already performing as a PROVEN top 10 pick? and he's still VERY young. I just don't see why people want to trade Wallace.

The only thinking I can see is that people don't think we can sign both Wallace and Brown, they would rather have Brown, and hope we can get something great for Wallace. I can see that.
ANDYMISIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #18
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYMISIU View Post
Why should we trade Wallace for a top 10 pick when Wallace is already performing as a PROVEN top 10 pick? and he's still VERY young. I just don't see why people want to trade Wallace.

The only thinking I can see is that people don't think we can sign both Wallace and Brown, they would rather have Brown, and hope we can get something great for Wallace. I can see that.
Nobody is saying they want to trade Wallace. I would rather he be here. I (and others) have suggested possible scenarios where a trade may happen, but I don't think it will.
The point being if Wallace doesn't want to be here then maybe trade him and get more than we would get should he leave by free agency next season.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

I couldn't believe the arrogance of Gerry Dulac on NFL network the other night saying basically there is no way the Steelers will ever let Mike Wallace go anywhere. Really? If a team would have come forward this year with even a 8 mil per year deal the Steelers wouldn't have had the cap room, and next year the cap is not expected to rise and they will have to franchise him at like 10-11 million per year and somehow still retain Antonio Brown through all this.

Even signing him to a contract this summer seems unlikely because his agent wants a boatload of money. Granted it's possible by some magic they could get him signed and somehow still keep Antonio Brown but Dulac's comments are still unbelievable.

The team should use what little cap they have left to sign Brown this summer.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
I couldn't believe the arrogance of Gerry Dulac on NFL network the other night saying basically there is no way the Steelers will ever let Mike Wallace go anywhere. Really? If a team would have come forward this year with even a 8 mil per year deal the Steelers wouldn't have had the cap room, and next year the cap is not expected to rise and they will have to franchise him at like 10-11 million per year and somehow still retain Antonio Brown through all this.

Even signing him to a contract this summer seems unlikely because his agent wants a boatload of money. Granted it's possible by some magic they could get him signed and somehow still keep Antonio Brown but Dulac's comments are still unbelievable.

The team should use what little cap they have left to sign Brown this summer.
As I just posted above, the Steelers could withstand approximately a $6.5-7M cap hit for Wallace right now without even making any moves. And when you look at the contracts of DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon, both of their cap hits for this year are under $5M. Vincent Jackson's is like $13M, simply because the Bucs could afford to do that, and it's better to use up as much of the cap hit of the full contract as possible when you can spare it. Even considering that, there are still plenty of moves the Steelers could make if they really needed money, again, as I already pointed out. They could cut a player like Will Allen or Jonathan Scott, or restructure contracts with Polamalu or Harrison, and easily come up with a few extra million if they really needed it to get a deal with Wallace done.

The franchise tag is a far less realistic option at any point because the full value of the contract counts against the cap, and they wouldn't have $11M in cap space for him next year. 2014 probably, but not next year.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote