Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #51
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: Is Ben best QB drafted in last 10 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Very few QBs could have have kept their team competitive with the awful O-line and simplistic offensive schemes that we've had here at Pitt in recent years. Ben makes things happen out of nothing; he's a born whatever-it-takes winner. He has that rare quality that cannot be taught.

Having said that, his development has stagnated, and he's not fulfilling his potential. Much of that can be attributed to a weak Offensive Coordinator. Firing Arians will be the best thing that has ever happened for Ben's career.

Ben is a great QB, but he can be better. Lets see what happens when he's challenged to grow. I think he could still separate himself from this group.

Right on the money. The discussion is good but the qbs mentioned all bring something different to the field.
Ben is the right QB for our team right now. So yes I will say he's the best in the last 10. Stats are for fantasy football guys. You can't measure toughness and heart.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #52
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Rodgers has been sacked the most in the NFL for the last several years. He is responsible for his own success.Rodgers threw 45 touchdowns and 6 interceptions last year. That ends the conversation. No other quarterback on that list will approach those numbers. Anyone who disagrees should be doubted on any other opinion they have on football matters because they are completely biased and aren't living in reality.

Ha ha ha ha ha........ It's funny cause it's true!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #53
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Bens a warrior....Ely takes hits too...
Rodgers is soft.....And does not make things happen if the system isnt workin.....
Thats why I would take Ben.......Ely....Then Rodgers......
How many times has Rogers been injured? A concussion here an there that's it. Gets sacked just as many times as big Ben. Rogers ain't soft bro...

Rogers is so good that the system don't have the opportunity to fall apart. And if it does fall apart he's great at making something with his legs or scrambling to the outside and rifling it to wherever it's got to be. That's a great qb in my eyes.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #54
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
How many times has Rogers been injured? A concussion here an there that's it. Gets sacked just as many times as big Ben. Rogers ain't soft bro...

Rogers is so good that the system don't have the opportunity to fall apart. And if it does fall apart he's great at making something with his legs or scrambling to the outside and rifling it to wherever it's got to be. That's a great qb in my eyes.
Couldn't agree more.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #55
vogaman
Water Boy

Member Number: 18680

Not that its a big deal, but Rodgers has never been sacked more than Ben in any of his first four seasons.

Times sacked:

2008 season: Roethlisberger: 46 / Rodgers: 34
2009 season: Roethlisberger: 50 / Rodgers: 50
2010 season: Roethlisberger: 32 / Rodgers: 31
2011 season: Roethlisberger: 40 / Rodgers: 36

It's pretty tough to put Ben over Rodgers on this list, though. Don't really understand the Eli love, at all, though. It's like saying Deion Branch is a better receiver than Greg Jennings because he was Super Bowl MVP.
vogaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #56
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogaman View Post
Not that its a big deal, but Rodgers has never been sacked more than Ben in any of his first four seasons.

Times sacked:

2008 season: Roethlisberger: 46 / Rodgers: 34
2009 season: Roethlisberger: 50 / Rodgers: 50
2010 season: Roethlisberger: 32 / Rodgers: 31
2011 season: Roethlisberger: 40 / Rodgers: 36

It's pretty tough to put Ben over Rodgers on this list, though. Don't really understand the Eli love, at all, though. It's like saying Deion Branch is a better receiver than Greg Jennings because he was Super Bowl MVP.
Yeah I didn't look up the stats. I used my comment as bait to get someone to do it for me. Thanks for the help. Now, someone was saying something funny about how great the Packers O-line has protected Rodgers...
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #57
kwpit79
Water Boy

Member Number: 16028

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
It's between BB, Eli and Raaaadgers. That's the gold-silver-bronze in some order.

Rodgers may have the most pure talent, but since rings arguably matter most Big Ben and Eli probably have the most claim to #1.
I'm sorry but this "count the rings" argument doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Because Ben played with what I would argue is the defense of the decade in the (00's Steelers), Ben better have more rings! The Steelers ranked number 1 in total defense something like 6 times in the past 9 years. That's insane.

Did Elway become a better QB at 35 when he won his first ring (after being absolutely destroyed in his first three SBs)? No, he had a much better team/coaching staff around him.

Is Dilfer better than Marino? Of course not, he had the 2000 Ravens defense and a great o-line/running game to manage.

Is Eli Manning all of a sudden an amazing QB because that backup kick returner for the 49ers muffs two punts leading to their loss?

I do think if a QB, who consistently plays great in the regular season, stinks it up in the postseason you can downgrade him, like Payton did in his earlier career. That's why Montana is still the greatest QB ever imo. He was just as dominant in the post-season as he was in the regular season.
kwpit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #58
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Watching Ben is like watching an edge of your seat action movie. My heart can't handle it too much, but I love it.

Watching Rogers is like watching an opera. Sit back and enjoy the beauty, and perfection that you know is coming.

Watching Eli is like watching a magic show. Ur not sure what's coming, or exactly how they do it but u leave feeling curious and satisfied.

Watching Sanchez is like watching a dog drag his ass against the carpet. Down right hilarious....

Best comment I've read on the subject.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #59
NSMaster56
Team President

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79 View Post
I'm sorry but this "count the rings" argument doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Because Ben played with what I would argue is the defense of the decade in the (00's Steelers), Ben better have more rings! The Steelers ranked number 1 in total defense something like 6 times in the past 9 years. That's insane.

I do think if a QB, who consistently plays great in the regular season, stinks it up in the postseason you can downgrade him, like Payton did in his earlier career. That's why Montana is still the greatest QB ever imo. He was just as dominant in the post-season as he was in the regular season.
Your point is absolutely valid.

The 'count the rings' case is not a defining factor, just another to consider.

I would say, however, that both in the case of BB and Eli, while their team D's were quite good and a large part of their [championship] success, that the offensive deficiencies on their teams were also quite evident.

So by overcoming those shortcomings and leading their teams to a championship twice (and in the case of Eli's G-men, over the 18-0 Pats!!!), I think each QB has established themself as an elite talent.

I mean, the Packers looked downright invincible most of last year and then crapped out vs. the Giants, so... sometimes 'team talent' doesn't trump all either.

The ability to lead a team to victory in pressure situations matters and both BB and Eli have delivered moreso than Rodgers (thusfar).

So, thusfar, both have a claim to #1.

I don't think any is the 'wrong' choice so long as the logic behind the pick isn't pure homerism.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #60
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,713 Times in 2,913 Posts

how much better can Ben be behind a good OL?

NFL Draft Winners

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Roethlisberger has been sacked at least 40 times in five of the past six seasons. It would likely be all six for six if not for his four-game suspension to start 2010 (he was sacked 32 times in 12 games that year). The big problem for most of that stretch has been the offensive line's absurdly awful play. The Steelers worked hard to address that by taking Stanford guard David DeCastro in the first round at No. 24 overall and then Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams in the second round. DeCastro was projected by some people to go as high as No. 11 and Adams was projected as a first-round draft pick until it was revealed he tested positive for marijuana at the combine. Adams agreed to several stipulations with the Steelers since the combine after lying to the team about his drug use. If Adams gets his act together, he, DeCastro, Marcus Gilbert and Maurkice Pouncey could form the best line the Steelers have had in the Roethlisberger era.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--nf...k-cousins.html
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote