Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default First and Second round need to be perfect!

I have really been following the draft news, I'm off work for a few weeks and pretty much have my TV on ESPN or NFL Network all day. According to many commentators, starting quality O lineman will be available when we choose IN THE 2ND round also, not just the first. IMO getting a starting guard is an ABSOLUTE must. I trust that our new OC will make the offense better but the run game and protection can't get much better without a good guard OR TWO. Although I think O line is the priority, there are those who argue that as important/ almost as important, is a new ILB or NT. There won't be many starting quality defensive players in the 2nd round, but it's likely there will be in the first. So it seems to me the tough decision is do you go for someone like Hightower or a good starting quality NT first round and bet on there being a starting quality guard in the 2nd round, or do you play it safe and take care of your most important need right away by drafting a guard first round? Seems like the general consensus is that there won't be a starting quality NT or ILB in the 2nd round and that we could pick one up in the first round and still get a starting guard in the 2nd. As better as I expect the offense to do without Arians (especially if Wallace stays), I don't think they can get anywhere near their potential without better guards. Plus if we don't address the line this year we might not get another chance to with Ben, how much more can he get hit? Anyway, whatever the Steelers do this draft it has to be near flawless. I don't expect starters from the 4th and 5th rounds or anything unrealistic, but we need starting quality 1st and 2nd round picks and we need our 6th and 7th round pics to be decent backups at least. All that said, how would you guys draft round 1 and 2?
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: First and Second round need to be perfect!

I think the most common thought is

Donta Hightower
then the best Guard in the 2nd that has pulling ability. (Amini Silatolu, Brandon Brooks)

I wouldn't mind
the best O-Tackle like a Cordy Glenn or Jonathan Martin.
then the best Guard in the 2nd that has pulling ability.

I think what gets the most accomplished is a trade down from round 1 especially if Hightower, Glenn, and more are gone. 4 picks in top 3 rounds.

You could go with
Bob Massie OT and Mychael Kendricks ILB in round 2 then
Guards Brandon Brooks or Brandon Washington along with either a NT or S in round 3 like
Josh Chapman, Alameda Ta'amu or safeties like Brandon Taylor LSU or Trenton Robinson.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: First and Second round need to be perfect!

If Hightower and Glenn are gone then trading down for 4 picks in the first 3 rounds is a good idea. However, will those extra picks be as beneficial to us, especially this year, as a first round pick would be? Hard to say.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote