Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-20-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers Agree to Terms With Fifth-round Pick

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Steelers came to terms with another draft choice Wednesday and continued to negotiate with representatives for first-round pick Santonio Holmes and free-agent-to-be Ike Taylor.
No. 5b selection Charles Davis, a tight end from Purdue, received a signing bonus of $104,000 and base salaries of $275,000, $350,000 and $445,000 on a three-year, $1.07 million deal.

No. 4a pick Willie Colon, an offensive lineman from Hofstra, was the first of the Steelers' draft choices to agree on a contract, accepting a three-year, $1.33 million package that included a signing bonus of $283,000 and base salaries of $275,000, $350,000 and $425,000.

The Steelers aren't close to a deal with Holmes, but they're making progress.

They're also committed to giving Holmes a chance to resurrect his reputation, despite multiple run-ins with the law since the draft.

"Definitely, he gets another chance," Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said.

Holmes was charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct over the Memorial Day weekend in Miami, a charge a Miami Beach police spokesman characterized, at the time, as "nothing."

Holmes also is scheduled to appear in court Aug. 15 in Franklin County, Ohio, to face charges of assault and domestic violence by assault -- both first-degree misdemeanors.

"He has to realize this is a great opportunity to be a very good player on a very good team, but to do that, he has to make some sacrifices," Rooney said. "He's gotta be on the straight and narrow."

Holmes may be subject to discipline under the Personal Conduct Policy in the NFL's basic agreement with the players' association.

"What I've heard, as far as the league is concerned, he's done everything they've asked him to do," Rooney said. "He's said the right things. He has to mean it."

Taylor, a starting cornerback for the first time in 2005 and a star during the Steelers' playoff run, signed a one-year, $1.57 million tender as a restricted free agent in the offseason.

Taylor intercepted one pass in the regular season and two in the playoffs, including one in the Steelers' 21-10 victory over Seattle in Super Bowl XL.

"Coach (Bill Cowher) gave me the challenge to go against the (opponent's) No. 1 receiver, and I just tried to take care of the opportunity," Taylor said during minicamp in May. "They had a lot of faith in me as a coaching staff. I had to earn that and earn it from my teammates."

"We continue to work on the contract, and we continue to make progress," said Scott Smith, Taylor's agent.

Taylor has repeatedly expressed a desire to remain with the Steelers.

"I think I will be here," he said in May. "I don't want to leave. I'm thinking positive, that we'll definitely get something worked out. But, right now, I'm playing football, and that's none of my concern."

Smith said it's "too early to tell" whether a contract extension could be worked out prior to the start of the season, at which point the Steelers traditionally cease such negotiations unless a deal is imminent.

The Steelers are scheduled to report to St. Vincent College in Latrobe for the opening of training camp July 28.

Seven of the team's nine draft choices remain unsigned: Holmes; No. 3a Anthony Smith (safety, Syracuse); No. 3b Willie Reid (wide receiver, Florida State); No. 4b Orien Harris (defensive lineman, Miami); No. 5a Omar Jacobs (quarterback, Bowling Green); No. 6 Marvin Philip (center, California); and No. 7 Cedrick Humes (running back, Virginia Tech).

Notes: The Steelers will hold night practices Aug. 2 at Latrobe High School and Aug. 9 at Saint Vincent. The night practice at Latrobe High School will begin at 7:05 p.m. and will be preceded by a 15-minute autograph session. Admission will be $3 for adults and $1 for children (under 18) and senior citizens (over 65). The night practice Aug. 9 begins at 6 p.m., and admission is free. ... The Steelers also will host a Gatorade Junior Training Camp -- a non-contact football skills camp for boys and girls 7-14 -- from 3-5 p.m. Aug. 2 at Latrobe High School. Fans can register at www.steelers.com.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Re: Steelers Agree to Terms With Fifth-round Pick

"He has to realize this is a great opportunity to be a very good player on a very good team, but to do that, he has to make some sacrifices," Rooney said. "He's gotta be on the straight and narrow."

I hope he learns that lesson quickly. Maybe that number ten jersey is jinxed from kordell
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

I swear that Maurice Stovall looks better and better every day.

We should have gone with Sinorice Moss in the first and Stovall in the 3rd.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

NFL Notebook: Two more Steelers rookies agree to terms
Players from fourth, fifth rounds take three-year contracts
Thursday, July 20, 2006

From local and wire dispatches

Two more rookie draft choices came to terms with the Steelers, who open training camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe in eight days.

Defensive end Orien Harris, a fourth-round draft choice from Miami and tight end Charles Davis, a fifth-rounder from Purdue, each agreed to three-year contracts. The Steelers have three of their nine draft picks under contract. Tackle Willie Colon, a fourth-round pick, signed in the spring.

Harris received a $278,000 signing bonus as part of his $1.358 million contract. Davis received a $104,000 signing bonus on his $1.184 million deal. Each will receive the NFL minimum annual salaries of $275,000, $360,000 and $445,000.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I'm liking Orien Harris more and more.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

We'd better not let Orien Harris slip away from us. The guy was projected as a 2nd rounder, and we're getting him as a 5th. I hope he beats out Kirshcke, or at least makes the final roster, cause if he's on the PS for more than a week, someone'll snatch him.